The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and…

The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories (edition 2015)

by Marina Keegan (Author), Anne Fadiman (Introduction)

Member:jamieschecter
Title:The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories
Authors:Marina Keegan (Author)
Other authors:Anne Fadiman (Introduction)
Info:Scribner (2015), Edition: Reprint, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan

I can tell that Marina Keegan was still trying to develop her writing, but this collection of her stories and essays is still imbued with her personality, and a special kind of optimism that is so rare in our generation. It's a shame that her life was tragically cut short and the world will never get to see her grow as a writer. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
Beautifully written ( )
  Charlotte1162 | Nov 29, 2017 |
This was an absolutely lovely book. Marina addresses questions that are relevant and applicable to our lives today, while somehow still noting those universal issues that plague us all, such as Is there meaning to life? and Does anything really matter? She recognizes her own mortality, and in doing so she is not afraid: in fact, she is hopeful, inspiring a hope that can be shared by us all: “Sometime before I die,” she writes in the last short story in the book, Song for the Special, “I think I’ll find a microphone and climb to the top of a radio tower. I’ll take a deep breath and close my eyes because it will start to rain right when I reach the top. Hello, I’ll say to outer space, this is my card.” ( )
  AshleyESimon | Oct 17, 2017 |
Marina Keegan was only 22 when she was died in a car accident. Newly graduated from Yale and ready to continue her budding career as a writer, we are left with a collection of work from her short life. Half of the book is short stories, and the other half essays. You can see glimmers of what she would have potentially grown into as a writer. Her voice, as you would expect, is very young. She's in college; her life has barely started. I liked some of the stories, didn't like some others. These are stories that wouldn't have been published under other circumstances.

Overall, three stars, but I'm having a hard time separating the tragedy of a life cut short from the actual work, so actually 2.5. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
3.5 ( )
  tifhayes | May 22, 2017 |

Marina Keeganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fadiman, AnneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147675361X, Hardcover)

An affecting and hope-filled posthumous collection of essays and stories from the talented young Yale graduate whose title essay captured the world’s attention in 2012 and turned her into an icon for her generation.

Marina Keegan’s star was on the rise when she graduated magna cum laude from Yale in May 2012. She had a play that was to be produced at the New York Fringe Festival and a job waiting for her at The New Yorker. Tragically, five days after graduation, Marina died in a car crash.

As her family, friends, and classmates, deep in grief, joined to create a memorial service for Marina, her deeply moving last essay for The Yale Daily News, "The Opposite of Loneliness," went viral, receiving more than 1.4 million hits.

Even though she was just twenty-two when she died, Marina left behind a rich, expansive trove of prose that, like her title essay, captures the hope, uncertainty, and possibility of her generation. Her short story "Cold Pastoral" was published by NewYorker.com just months after her death.

The Opposite of Loneliness is an assemblage of Marina’s essays and stories, which, like The Last Lecture, articulate the universal struggle that all of us face as we figure out what we aspire to be, and how we can harness our talents to impact the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

"An affecting and hope-filled posthumous collection of essays and stories from the talented young Yale graduate whose title essay captured the world's attention in 2012 and turned her into an icon for her generation. Marina Keegan's star was on the rise when she graduated magna cum laude from Yale in May 2012. She had a play that was to be produced at the New York Fringe Festival and a job waiting for her at The New Yorker. Tragically, five days after graduation, Marina died in a car crash. As her family, friends, and classmates, deep in grief, joined to create a memorial service for Marina, her deeply affecting last essay for The Yale Daily News, "The Opposite of Loneliness," went viral, receiving more than 1.4 million hits. Even though she was just twenty-two years old when she died, Marina left behind a rich, deeply expansive trove of prose that, like her title essay, capture the hope, uncertainty, and possibility of her generation. Her short story, "Cold Pastoral," was published in NewYorker.com just months after her death. The Opposite of Loneliness is an assemblage of Marina's essays and stories, which, like The Last Lecture, articulate the universal struggle that all of us face as we figure out what we aspire to be, and how we harness our talents to impact the world"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible