Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr.…

Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories (1958)

by Dr. Seuss

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Same theme, although Suess' work is far superior

Yertle, king of the pond, stands on other turtles in an attempt to reach higher than the moon! But, the bottom turtle burps and he falls into the mud.

I found this book to be quite deep for being a Dr. Seuss book. Yertle is quite tyrannical in my view! He is very greedy and eventually falls from the top when the bottom turtle burps. Maybe children won't understand this--but I like that behind the silly poetry there are deep messages! ( )
  KailiMarion | Dec 9, 2018 |
This book can be used when teaching students about rhyming words in language arts. ( )
  darbyhunter1 | Oct 13, 2018 |
I like this book a lot because it is split into sections. As a teacher I could say ok lets sit down and read one story from Yertle and it would be a great way to calm the kids down. I also like that they do have a message behind them. Like Yertle is about bossing and I think that is a very important message for children in elementary school, or maybe I was just super bossy. ( )
  s_cat1 | Oct 1, 2018 |
"Yertle the Turtle" is about a turtle who is an egotistic reptile who demands to have what he wants. He bosses all the other turtles around and makes the turtle stack up high, so he can have the best view of the pond. His man goal is to the reach the clouds. The book was banned for a controversial quote. The quote was, "“I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here on the bottom, we too should have rights.” This seemed too political to some parents, so the book was then banned. I think it's really silly to ban a book just for a quote like that. I think Dr. Seuss is just extremely poetic, and he just needed to rhyme. ( )
  mthomassie | May 4, 2018 |
A bit scary, reading this and thinking about America today... Maybe it's time to sneeze, like Mack. ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
This book is for The Bartletts of Norwich, Vt. and for The Sagmasters of Cincinnati, Ohio
On the far-away Island of Sala-ma-Sond,
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.

Contains: Yertle the turtle -- Gertrude McFuzz -- The big brag

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800877, Hardcover)

Yet more wisdom cast down from high atop Mt. Seuss, this cheerful trio of tales teaches some valuable lessons in humility--thanks to a sharp-eyed worm, a bragging bear and rabbit, a fuzzy-tailed bird, and a couple hundred turtles led by their foolish King Yertle.

Yertle's story leads off with his attempt to build a bigger kingdom on the backs of his loyal subjects (literally). King of everything he can see, Yertle orders his turtles to stack up under him to build a towering throne. ("He made each turtle stand on another one's back and he piled them all up in a nine-turtle stack.") But a plain little turtle named Mack--stuck at the bottom--decides he's had enough. ("I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down on the bottom we, too, should have rights!")

Following Yertle's downfall, a whiny girl-bird named Gertrude McFuzz wishes she had two feathers, just like Miss Lolla-Lee-Lou: "One droopy-droop feather. That's all that she had. And, oh! That one feather made Gertrude so sad." But even when Gertrude gets her wish--and then some--she finds that vanity has its price. Meanwhile, in "The Big Brag," a proud rabbit and an even-prouder bear duke it out in a battle of the senses, arguing over who's the best of the beasts, only to get their clever comeuppance from a wild-eyed little worm. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

Includes three humorous stories in verse; Yertle the Turtle, Gertrude McFuzz, and The Big Brag.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,545,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible