Deacon by Kristen Ashley

Summary
For six years, Cassidy has been drawn to the mysterious man who comes to her cabins for a few days and leaves for a while but always comes back to cabin 11. Cassidy is never sure if she can get through the wall of ice that surrounds Deacon, but then one night everything changed for them. It was a night that terrified her but also brought them closer and Deacon started to slowly open up to her. Deacon has spent his life trying to escape his past, and immersing himself in his work and forgetting about the good things in life. Until he came to Colorado, and he was drawn into Cassidy's world. Now he can't resist her and will do anything to have her in his life. But Deacon soon learns that he will need to confront the terrors of his past and let it go so he can have the beautiful world he can have with Cassidy.
Plot and Story Line
I will admit I wasn't sure how this book would play out. In previous books, Deacon is such a mysterious character and we honestly don't know much about him other than the fact that he is such a badass and pretty scary at times.

“There was nothing there. He was standing. His blood was coursing through his veins. He was breathing. But that was it. He existed. He did not live. He did not feel. He did not smile. He did not laugh.”

Our heroine is a sweet heart and pretty strong willed. I loved her personality though. She dreams of owning these cabins in Colorado and being independent. At first we see her with a boyfriend who is lazy and selfish and yeah that doesn't last too long. Cassidy works her butt off to get the cabins in shape and is willing to do it on her own if necessary. But she does have dreams to find a love that her parents have. Someone to share and build a life with. I really loved her drive and passion. There is so much you can relate with in her character. Once we have their pivotal moment and their relationship changes, things really start to build between them. I love the way they are together...seriously Cassidy knows how to handle Deacon so well.

“Fuckin’ beautiful, but a pain in my goddamned ass,” he muttered.

“Same here, Supreme Leader of the Badasses.

She knows he is a badass and likes that about him and definitely has him wrapped around her finger at times. Their bantering is fun and quirky and just pulls the reader into their interactions. Unlike some of the other books, this story is focused solely on the romance. There aren't any crazy criminals after them or stunts of drug dealers hehe so you can just relax and enjoy these two and seeing them overcome some issues. It isn't overly dramatic, and the drama that does happen is realistic and not too heavy and these two can be quite hilarious.

"If we have daughters I'm starting How to Deal with Badasses when they're five."

His eyes were lit but his expression was full-on tender when he returned, "We have boys, they get How to Deal with Stubborn Bitches Who Argue About Meaningless Shit starting at three."

"Again, women dislike being called bitches," I shot back.

"That'll be part of my lesson to the boys."

It can be heartbreaking at times seeing Deacon overcome his demons and they aren't pretty. But I love how much closer Deacon and Cassidy become once they are fully open with each other and evokes some powerful emotions!!

“Anything. You want it, I got it in me to give it to you, you get anything from me.”

The Narration
I instantly knew I would love this narrator and I was so right!! Her voice is superb, so lovely to listen to and takes the emotions of the story so well. I love how she portrays the story and I just wanted to keep on listening to her.
The Cover
I really like the leaf effect of this cover, its different and probably my favorite cover so far in the series that I have read.
Overall View
Deacon is an inspiring and heart felt romance that brings out all the feels....beautiful, striking and emotionally packed....A TRUE WINNER!!

“It's a beautiful war, baby." He dipped so close, the tips of our noses brushed but his eyes never left mine. "And I...just… won.”

Books N Tunes Reading Challenge
Pick #7: Beautiful War by King of Leons---I chose this song because its the song that brings these two back together or one of them anyway. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2019 |
I think reading this right after Reapers Stand was a mistake, I now know that "badasses" can speak in full coherent sentences. Ashley is an author that is extremely hit or extremely miss for me and it seems like a lot of others loved this book so if you're fan of previous books, this one seems to be in the same vein. I thought it was monotonous, lead hero was a bit cardboard cut out, and the "Here, woman" that he loved to spout grated on my nerves. I know what Ashley heroes are all about but Deacon and Cassidy's relationship just didn't do it for me. I liked the silent pining but not the stilted conversations. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
I rounding this one up but it was a 3.5 Star read for me. I really wanted more Deacon. I really like multiple POV but this one didn't do it enough. I love Kristen Ashley and will continue to read her books but this one left me wanting. ( )
  tiffsaddictiontobook | Jul 18, 2017 |
It was heavy and me saying that about a KA look is something. I loved it though. Cassie was so my kind of girl and Deacon was downright yummy with all that broodiness of his. Halfway through the book, things started to get really interesting and Deacon's real personality started to make an appearance and it was an amazing ride to see how that affected Cassie and their relationship. The puppies were the heavenly touch to make things even more cute. Their chemistry was crazy good and the epilogue was a curve ball and had all the goodness KA always brings into her books. Incredible. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
Oh these broken men and the women who fix them. Another great love story from Ms Ashley. Deacon and Cassie's road to love was beautiful. Yes she had to break down Mr Brooding's barriers and boy did he like the kink in the bedroom but in the end Cassie was just what Deacon needed to become whole again.. And what an ending - which I assume is the setup for a future book!!!!

CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |

Deacon has an ugly history, a history that broke him, leaving him a ghost of a man. Out of necessity, he left the normal world to descend into the criminal world and found he fit. So he stayed. Cold as ice and living off the grid, Deacon has no intention to connect, not with anyone. Then he returns to some remote cabins in the Colorado Mountains and finds they have new owners. One of them is Cassidy Swallow, a young woman willing to work hard to live her quiet dream in a house by a river surrounded by aspen and pine. Suddenly, Deacon finds he's at war. Cassidy's pull for him to connect is strong. He fights it, but he loses, always coming back for more. But when he does, he gives her nothing. From the first time she sees him, Cassidy knows Deacon is dead inside. She knows he's the kind of man who could destroy a woman. But one night when Deacon's control slips, Cassidy takes a chance.He might break her. He also might be her dream come true.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,536,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible