One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories…

One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories (Vintage Contemporaries) (original 2014; edition 2015)

by B. J. Novak (Author)

"B.J. Novak's One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories is an endlessly entertaining, surprisingly sensitive, and startlingly original debut that signals the arrival of a brilliant new voice in American fiction. A boy wins a $100,000 prize in a box of Frosted Flakes--only to discover how claiming the winnings might unravel his family. A woman sets out to seduce motivational speaker Tony Robbins--turning for help to the famed motivator himself. A new arrival in Heaven, overwhelmed with options, procrastinates over a long-ago promise to visit his grandmother. We also meet Sophia, the first artificially intelligent being capable of love, who falls for a man who might not be ready for it himself; a vengeance-minded hare, obsessed with scoring a rematch against the tortoise who ruined his life; and post-college friends who try to figure out how to host an intervention in the era of Facebook. Along the way, we learn why wearing a red T-shirt every day is the key to finding love, how February got its name, and why the stock market is sometimes just. down. Finding inspiration in questions from the nature of perfection to the icing on carrot cake, One More Thing has at its heart the most human of phenomena: love, fear, hope, ambition, and the inner stirring for the one elusive element that might just make a person complete. Across a dazzling range of subjects, themes, tones, and narrative voices, the many pieces in this collection are like nothing else, but they have one thing in common: they share the playful humor, deep heart, sharp eye, inquisitive mind, and altogether electrifying spirit of a writer with a fierce devotion to the entertainment of the reader"-- "Across a range of subjects, themes, tones, and narrative voices, Novak's assured prose and expansive imagination introduce readers to people, places, and premises that are hilarious, insightful, provocative, and moving-often at the same time. In One More Thing, a boy wins a $100,000 prize in a box of Frosted Flakes - only to discover that claiming the winnings may unravel his family. A woman sets out to seduce motivational speaker Tony Robbins - turning for help to the famed motivator himself. A school principal unveils a bold plan to permanently abolish arithmetic. An acclaimed ambulance driver seeks the courage to follow his heart and throw it all away to be a singer-songwriter. Author John Grisham contemplates a monumental typo. A new arrival in heaven, overwhelmed by infinite options, procrastinates over his long-ago promise to visit his grandmother. We meet a vengeance-minded hare, obsessed with scoring a rematch against the tortoise who ruined his life; and post-college friends who debate how to stage an intervention in the era of Facebook. We learn why wearing a red t-shirt every day is the key to finding love; how February got its name; and why the stock market is sometimes just...down. Finding inspiration in questions from the nature of perfection to the icing on carrot cake, from the deeply familiar to the intoxicatingly imaginative, One More Thing finds its heart in the most human of phenomena: love, fear, family, ambition, and the inner stirring for the one elusive element that might make a person complete. The stories in this collection are like nothing else, but they have one thing in common: they share the playful humor, deep heart, inquisitive mind, and altogether electrifying spirit of a writer with a fierce devotion to the entertainment of the reader"--… (more)
Member:mifoley119
Title:One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:B. J. Novak (Author)
Info:Vintage (2015), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages

One More Thing by B. J. Novak (2014)

Super fun and easy to read. So many short stories and most were quite good! I liked some more than others, my favorite probably being Julie and the Warlord, but never felt like I had to drag on to finish any. Overall, just fun. :) ( )
  bookiehannah | Jun 24, 2021 |
I listened to the audio book years ago and forgot that I did. So, I excitedly picked up this book when I saw it used at Goodwill. Then, I quickly realized I knew it. But, I was stuck in a car with nothing else to read, so I dug in. I had forgotten enough of it that it was mostly new to me. And While not every story was a hit, they were so short (spanning from a few pages to maybe as little as 40 words in one case) that there was plenty of room for Novak to throw things out to see what would stick. A lot of the stories did stick. They were funny, often twist-endings, dry humor, weird observations. Jack Handy provided one of the back-cover blurbs and I think that was appropriate since a lot of the humor was in his style. Steven Wright would have been another good choice.

So overall, Novak delivers. There are laugh-out-loud moments, and for those rare times he misses, the stories are so short, you're back to laughing again a few minutes later.

4 stars. ( )
  Sean191 | Jan 13, 2021 |
Definitely read the audiobook--very entertaining! The stories are varied in topic, scope, and quality, but worth reading, for sure. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Hilarious! Read by the author with some special guest appearances from Novak's "The Office" crew. Stories range from profoundly thoughtful to brief "Deep Thoughts" comments that seem rather random, but still funny. Mostly they come across as "what if" riffs on the type of things college students discuss over late-night beers. Novak has paid careful attention to lots of things: book reviews, pop culture, relationships, etc. and the result is a fresh collection of observation and fancy. This has 20-something written all over it, and being beyond that makes it even more entertaining. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
This was definitely an interesting read for me. Some of the stories I loved, some I didn’t “get”, and some I was thankful were so short. I didn’t expect there to be so many stories in the book, although I’m not sure some of these can really be called stories. Interesting (or not) moments, maybe, but not stories. It was a nice break from the long books I’ve been reading and helped me break out of the reading slump I was in. It just wasn’t one of my favorite short story collections. I just feel very meh about the whole thing - reading it, reviewing it, the upcoming book club discussion. A mental shrug, if you will. ( )
  kiaweathersby | Sep 16, 2020 |
How entertaining is B.J. Novak? With One More Thing, the standup comic, scriptwriter and actor (best known for his work on The Office), takes his talents to the page in 64 fresh, short, offbeat and often hilarious stories, many of which involve updating classics for satirical effect — whether with a rematch between the tortoise and the hare, or by replacing detective Encyclopedia Brown from children's literature with Wikipedia Brown, who is hopelessly distracted by tangential subjects. In the book's longer, more fully developed tales, Novak shows us what he's capable of — inventive ideas, guffaw-inducing humor and some real heart. The margins of my review copy are so festooned with exclamation points — indicating points of surprise and delight — they look like some sort of vertical Morse code.
added by capiam1234 | editNPR Books, Heller Mcalpin (Feb 11, 2014)

It is Mr. Novak’s gift for channeling the way we talk and think today that propels many of the funnier tales here.

B. J. Novakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perry, KatyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwartzman, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, RainnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the aftermath of an athletic humiliation on an unprecedented scale -- a loss to a tortoise in a footrace so staggering that, his tormenters teased, it would not only live on in the record books, but would transcend sport itself, and be taught to children around the world in textbooks and bedtime stories for centuries; that hundreds of years from now, children who had never heard of a "tortoise" would learn that it was basically a fancy type of turtle from hearing about this very race -- the hare retreated, understandably, into a substantial period of depression and self-doubt.
When we can say anything, what do we say?  When we can feel anything, what do we feel?  When we can share anything, what do we share? (pg. 93)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,444,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible