[ THE TYRANT'S DAUGHTER - STREET SMART…

[ THE TYRANT'S DAUGHTER - STREET SMART ] By Carleson, J C ( Author)… (edition 2014)

by J.C. Carleson

Exiled to the United States after her father, a Middle Eastern dictator, is killed in a coup, fifteen-year-old Laila must cope with a completely new way of life, the truth of her father's regime, and her mother and brother's ways of adjusting.
Member:miracosta
Title:[ THE TYRANT'S DAUGHTER - STREET SMART ] By Carleson, J C ( Author) 2014 [ Hardcover ]
Authors:J.C. Carleson
Info:Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers (2014), Hardcover

The Tyrant's Daughter by J.C. Carleson

Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book made me see the world in a different way. I can't imagine what it must be like for people to come here from a different country, forced out of their own, knowing no one, nothing, and being separated from everything they ever knew. It's terrifying to think about and reading it about wasn't easy either. Trying to stay true to her cultural beliefs and yet fit in in America at the same time, Laila's struggle was evident throughout the book. I felt for her and found myself wanting to give her a hug many many times. I was surprised at the many twists in the book and for once, I didn't see any of them coming. Definitely a good read and I hope to see more from this author. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
This contemporary YA novel discussed and handled issues I've never seen discussed in a YA book. It brought up topics about refugees from Middle Eastern countries living in America. These topics include of what they have gone through and continue to go through in a first world country where they don't feel like they quite fit in or belong. There was a slight romance in here, but it didn't overshadow the main conflicts of the story like some hard hitting contemporary will do. The main character was flawed and so realistic and it was easy to empathize with what she has gone through. I would highly recommend this for anyone wanting a hard hitting contemporary! The author's note and details discussed at the end of the book were extremely great too and the narrator of this audiobook did a fabulous job differentiating between the different characters. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
This is an interesting novel. It's fiction, but the situations in the book mirror world happenings in an uncanny way. Reading the authors note, I can see that she might have been more than a little dismayed as she was writing, with things happening in real life that she was writing about in fiction.

What would your life be like if your family went from a place of power into exile? How much do you know? How much are you responsible for, when you are sheltered teen girl? Do you fit in, in America, where things are so strange? Do you want to go back home? Do you really want to know what life was like for the rest of the people in your country? What kind of person are you? Who do you want to become?

These are the kind of things that the main character has to decide for herself as she is learning about herself, before and after the revolution, and who's in power, now. Is he going to stay in power? What part she needs to play in the changes, if any. ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
The Tyrant's Daughter by J.C. Carleson

2014

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for review.

I was honestly not as impressed as some people were by this book. I think the subject matter is important for young adults but overall couldn't hold my interest. It tells more like a fairy tale than a story with reliable characters. ( )
  marquis784 | Feb 15, 2020 |
When her father is killed in a coup, 15-year-old Laila flees from the war-torn Middle East to a life of exile and anonymity in the U.S. Gradually she adjusts to a new school, new friends, and a new culture, but while Laila sees opportunity in her new life, her mother is focused on the past. She's conspiring with CIA operatives and rebel factions to regain the throne their family lost. Laila can't bear to stand still as an international crisis takes shape around her, but how can one girl stop a conflict that spans generations?
  Gmomaj | Feb 12, 2020 |
My brother is the King of Nowhere. This fact doesn't matter to anyone except my family - a rapidly shrinking circle of people who Used to Be. And, even for us, there are surprisingly few perks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,854,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible