Jack: The Tale of Frost (2) (Claus Universe)…

Jack: The Tale of Frost (2) (Claus Universe) (edition 2019)

by Tony Bertauski (Author)

Series: Claus (2)

Sura is sixteen years old when she meets Mr. Frost. He's very short and very fat and he likes his room very, very cold. Some might say inhumanly cold. His first name isn't Jack, she's told. And that's all she needed to know. Mr. Frost's love for Christmas is over-the-top and slightly psychotic. And why not? He's made billions of dollars off the holiday he invented. Or so he claims. Rumor is he's an elven, but that's silly. Elven aren't real. And if they were, they wouldn't live in South Carolina. They wouldn't hide in a tower and go to the basement to make...things. Nonetheless, Sura will work for this odd little recluse. Frost Plantation is where she'll meet the love of her life. It's where she'll finally feel like she belongs somewhere. And it's where she'll meet someone fatter, balder and stranger than Mr. Frost. It's where she'll meet Jack. Jack hates Christmas.… (more)
Member:BiblioCave
Title:Jack: The Tale of Frost (2) (Claus Universe)
Authors:Tony Bertauski (Author)
Info:Tony Bertauski (2019), 286 pages

Work Information

Jack: The Tale of Frost by Tony Bertauski

Sura is a sixteen-year-old orphan who has been living on her own since her mom died. No one at school knows Sura's true situation because if they did, she would wind up in foster care; so in the month since her mom's death, Sura has been living with her 'aunt'. So far, no one has discovered Sura's secret and she's been able to hide the fact that she lives alone with no relatives.

Having received an email from the Frost Corporation - detailing a position that she would be perfect for - Sura is determined to act professionally during her interview, and nothing like the desperately needy teenage job hunter she actually is. Mr. Frost is rather unusual; the reclusive owner of Frost Plantation whose first name is absolutely not Jack, she's told. And that's all she needed to know.

Mr. Frost's love of Christmas is over-the-top and just the slightest bit psychotic. And why not? He's become a self-made billionaire from the holiday he created. Or so he claims. Mr. Frost is very short and very fat and he likes his rooms very, very cold; almost frigid.

Rumor is that he's elven, but that's silly. Elven don't exist; they just aren't real. And even if they were, they wouldn't live in South Carolina. They wouldn't hide in a tower or go down to the basement in the middle of the night to make things.

Nonetheless, Sura will work for this eccentric little recluse. Frost Plantation is where she will meet the love of her life. It's somewhere she'll finally feel like she belongs. And it's where she'll meet someone fatter, balder and stranger than Mr. Frost. It's where she'll meet Jack. Jack absolutely hates Christmas!

I really enjoyed reading this book; it was wonderful for me to reacquaint myself with some of these characters, and to discover several entirely new ones as well. I would suggest reading Claus: Legend of the Fat Man first, but only to learn the back story - to discover how some of the characters ended up living in modern-day South Carolina, instead of the North Pole. I would give Jack: The Tale of Frost by Tony Bertauski an A! and look forward to reading the next book in this series sometime soon. ( )
  rubyandthetwins | Jul 14, 2017 |

If you like the odd, the adventurous, the sci-fi world of magical beings, then this book is for you.

~~~~~~

Sura takes a job at Frost Plantation.

She will meet Mr. Frost, who’s love of Christmas is obsessive, after all he invented Christmas, didn’t he?

Sura will find the love of her life and the home she has longed for.

She will also meet Jack, who is the opposite of Mr. Frost. Jack hates Christmas.

~~~~~~

A Christmas story so unusual, it makes the Grinch seem like child’s play.

The world building and character descriptions will have your mind working overtime trying to envision them. Tony Bertauski’s imagination knows no bounds as he takes me on a magical, sci-fi adventure after the downfall of the North Pole.

There is a love story, but to me that was just the icing on the cake. Jack is the cake.

Elves in South Carolina? Impossible? If you saw a round blue guy, what would you think?

I love a “guy” that I love to hate and Jack fits that bill to a T.

I wanted to laugh and cry with Jack, when I could get over the fact that he was a total asswipe. I felt bad for him and then I wanted to slap him up side the head. Jack didn’t have visions of sugar plums, but there were reindeer and a jolly fat man dancing in his head. The sun was so hot, but his memories were of white, fluffy snow and ice cold temperatures. He was not a pleasant “person” to be around. All that being said, I have to say that I liked Jack. The things he went through as he came “alive” made me root for him, encouraging him to hang in there, things will get better, won’t they?

I was confused for a while, trying to figure out what in the hell happened after all the badness at the North Pole, but as it came together I was even more surprised. This book is darker than Claus, but every bit as entertaining to read.

I love a surprise at the end, and Tony left me screaming for more!

When Tony says, “I’d rather sail a boat than climb a mountain”, I smiled, nodded my head and said to myself, “I’m with you Tony.”

I received this book from the author in return for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  sherry69 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Last Christmas, I found Claus: Legend of the Fat Man on Amazon, read it and loved it. (If you haven't read it, you NEED to.)

In October, the author messaged me and asked me if I would be interested in reading the sequel to that story - a story about Jack. Considering how I felt when I finished Claus (wanting to know more about the character of Jack), I could not pass up this opportunity.

When I was finally able to sit down and read the story, I could not put it down. I would force myself to stay away at night, wanting and needing to finish the story.

From the first page it draws you in. And it was not what I expected. None of it was. It's Jack now, along with new characters and one particularly important character from the past. A character that, without him, this story would have never been able to take place.

It was action packed, with moments that made you think, moments that made you care, moments that taught you about love and people and ... and it was amazing and beautiful ... and, though I didn't think it was possible, much better than the first.

And the ending .... Wow! I mean, the whole ending felt that way but the very end, the last couple of paragraphs ... when I finished I literally sat there with my hand over my mouth just ... frozen.

Amazing. And another must read. I can't wait to see what happens in the third.
added by Hopetoread | editAmazon.com, Meghan (Nov 21, 2013)

Jack: The Tale of Frost is the sequel to last year's Claus: Legend of the Fat Man and is honestly probably even better. Maybe that's because this one focuses on my favorite character from the first, Jack. Jack is... Jack reminds me of Loki, really. And I honestly mean that as a compliment.

Mr. Frost is a mysterious elven living in South Carolina. He employs a small group of people and a whole mess of helpers, and the novel begins when his newest recruit, Sura, shows up at the plantation for her first day of work. She meets Joe, to whom she feels an unexplainable attraction. Meanwhile, simultaneously, we hear of Jack, who's living in a homeless shelter.

This is really more Sura's story than any other characters, though that doesn't mean that the other characters didn't have a lot of personality. The director of the homeless shelter, for instance, even though he wasn't one of the main characters, had a lot of personality for the time he had on the page.

I couldn't read this as a mystery. It was kind of funny, because I didn't keep turning pages to see what happened next. It's pretty easy to figure out. I kept turning pages because I got sucked in. I wanted to see how it would all play out, and what exactly would happen with Sura and company. It was a really well-written book.

I don't necessarily know that you'd have to read Claus to enjoy this one, but I feel like knowing what happened in Claus really enhanced this story. This isn't really a feel-good type of Christmas story where Scrooge finally learns to love by watching Tiny Tim or whatever. There are traditional Christmas elements, sure. But this is a Christmas story in the same way that Die Hard is a Christmas movie (it happens to be my favorite. It has a Christmas tree, it counts).

The ending of this book was kind of horrifying and very well done. It made me think. And it made me wonder. The plot element aside, I was impressed with the author's ability to take all of the loose threads (and it seemed like there were many!) and tie them all up in the end. I read this quickly, but it wasn't a book I could have skimmed through and still understood.

I received this book for free in exchange for my honest opinion and that didn't influence my review in any way. There were some typos in my copy, but I was warned about that in advance, and for that reason was able to look past them and still enjoy the story.
added by Hopetoread | editAmazon.com, Tracy (Jul 11, 2013)

Belongs to Series

Claus (2)

Is contained in

Sura is sixteen years old when she meets Mr. Frost. He’s very short and very fat and he likes his room very, very cold. Some might say inhumanly cold. His first name isn’t Jack, she’s told. And that’s all she needed to know.

Mr. Frost’s love for Christmas is over-the-top and slightly psychotic. And why not? He’s made billions of dollars off the holiday he invented. Or so he claims. Rumor is he’s an elven, but that’s silly. Elven aren’t real. And if they were, they wouldn’t live in South Carolina. They wouldn’t hide in a tower and go to the basement to make…things.

Nonetheless, Sura will work for this odd little recluse. Frost Plantation is where she’ll meet the love of her life. It’s where she’ll finally feel like she belongs somewhere. And it’s where she’ll meet someone fatter, balder and stranger than Mr. Frost. It’s where she’ll meet Jack.

Jack hates Christmas.

Tony Bertauski is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,171,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible