Monday, Wednesday, and Every Other Weekend…

Monday, Wednesday, and Every Other Weekend

by Karen Stanton

I read this book to my 5-year-old brother and I don't think he understood the concept. I think this book was so real though. Henry and his dog have two homes now. They have one at Mama's and one at Papa's. I love how the author makes it seem like the dog is not ready to leave his old home instead of the child. When the dog gets lost, both mom and dad come together to help from the dog. In the end, Henry tells the dog, "I'll show you the way back home." The author made Henry a strong character by being there for his dog because he does not like change. This is a perfect read for children to learn that some parents do not live together and that some children have more than one home. ( )
  cynthiahurtado | Apr 22, 2019 |
Author Karen Stanton in this story talks about the effects of a Divorce can have on children life. Henry is a little boy that has to spend his days between his divorces parents. His parents seem to be very loving and artistic . Later on n the story , Henry's puppy (pomegranate ) seems to be distant .The puppy does not want to stay at neither homes and Henry does not know why until one morning the puppy gone missing. Only Henry seemed to know where is his puppy , which was at his old house. The dog returning to the old house resembles the wish of Henry for his parents to live back together. ( )
  saeedchaar | Feb 7, 2019 |
This book is about young boy, Henry, and his dog whose parents are divorced. It tells of his different activities that he does at each parents house. when his dog, pomegranate, runs away and his parents are searching for him, Henry knows where to find him. Although his parents told him to stay put, he knows where pomegranate is. This is a wonderful book for young children whose parents are going through a divorce or are divorced. It shows that they are not alone. I would have this book in my classroom library so that my students have access to it if they need it. ( )
  SLAdams | Mar 1, 2018 |
Henry Cooper lives in two houses. On Mondays, Wednesday, and every other weekend Henry lives with is mama. On Tuesday, Thursdays, and every other weekend Henry lives with his papa. Henry's dog, Pomegranate, goes back and forth between their two homes with Henry. Henry starts to notice that Pomegranate wants to go home. Pomegranate continues to act strange. One night instead of sleeping in his own bed, Pomegranate sleeps in Henry's bed. In the morning Pomegranate is missing. While Henry's parents go to check the pound and ask the neighbors, Henry goes looking for Pomegranate where he knows he will be. Pomegranate is at Henry's old house where is mother and father and Henry and Pomegranate used to live together. Henry makes fiends with the girl Penny who now lives there. When Penny's father calls her inside Henry takes Pomegranate back home.
The author tells the story of a boy with divorced parents. Henry enjoys different, but fun things at both of his parents houses. It is Pomegranate who is having a hard time adjusting. But, in the end. Henry reassures Pomegranate that although they have two home, they still have a home together.
Many children have parents who are divorced. These children often move from house to house. It can be hard on a child, but reading a story about a young boy who enjoys both houses may help a child cope with having divorced parents and two houses.
The illustrations are colorfully painted. The artwork incorporates cut out, inserted pieces. The illustrations show the uniqueness of each parents' house and what Henry enjoys the most in each house. ( )
  sschilling | Sep 13, 2017 |
This story made my heart melt. Henry and his dog has two houses. He stays with his mom on Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other weekend. Henry seems to like the idea of two homes, and two bedrooms, but his dog doesn't. When he's at his moms house he says his dog wants to go home, and when he's at his dads house he says his dog wants to go home. I was confused at first. Henry wakes up and his dog is missing. Both mom and dad are helping him look everywhere, but Henry knew where he ran off to. Henry found his dog at his old house, where they all lived together. It seems like Henry's parents divorced recently. In the beginning of the book, Henry takes us to both of his houses, showing the reader the neat things both houses have. But towards the end of the book, Henry reveals his true feelings. I think he's trying to be happy but deep down he misses his old house and the way things use to be, together, just as much as his dog does. Henry pushes a girl who now lives there, on his old swing and he watches as both of her parents come out and tell her its time to come inside. He shares to the reader that his dog is not ready to go. I don't think he is either. ( )
  jherrera | Sep 8, 2017 |

Although Henry enjoys the time he spends at his mother's apartment and his father's house, his dog Pomegranate gets confused about which place is home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible