The Time Traveller's Almanac

by Ann VanderMeer (Editor), Jeff VanderMeer (Editor)

Other authors: Douglas Adams (Contributor), Dean Francis Alfar (Contributor), Isaac Asimov (Contributor), Kage Baker (Contributor), Barrington J. Bayley (Contributor)62 more, Elizabeth Bear (Contributor), Max Beerbohn (Contributor), Steve Bein (Contributor), E. F. Benson (Contributor), Richard Bowes (Contributor), Ray Bradbury (Contributor), Molly Brown (Contributor), George-Olivier Châteaureynaud (Contributor), C. J. Cherryh (Contributor), John Chu (Contributor), Peter Crowther (Contributor), Rjurik Davidson (Contributor), Greg Egan (Contributor), William Gibson (Contributor), Ursula K. Le Guin (Contributor), Karen Haber (Contributor), Jason Heller (Contributor), Nalo Hopkinson (Contributor), Rian Johnson (Introduction), Langdon Jones (Contributor), Garry Kilworth (Contributor), Alice Sola Kim (Contributor), Ellen Klages (Contributor), Henry Kuttner (Contributor), Geoffrey Landis (Contributor), David Langford (Contributor), Joe Lansdale (Contributor), Tanith Lee (Contributor), Bob Leman (Contributor), Rosaleen Love (Contributor), Stan Love (Contributor), George R. R. Martin (Contributor), David I. Masson (Contributor), Richard Matheson (Contributor), Edward Page Mitchell (Contributor), Michael Moorcock (Contributor), C. L. Moore (Contributor), Tamsyn Muir (Contributor), Kim Newman (Contributor), Tony Pi (Contributor), Adam Roberts (Contributor), Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Contributor), Eric Frank Russell (Contributor), Pamela Sargent (Contributor), Eric Schaller (Contributor), Robert Silverberg (Contributor), Vandana Singh (Contributor), Cordwainer Smith (Contributor), Norman Spinrad (Contributor), Charles Stross (Contributor), Theodore Sturgeon (Contributor), Michael Swanwick (Contributor), Adrian Tchaikovsky (Contributor), Karin Tidbeck (Contributor), Harry Turtledove (Contributor), Steven Utley (Contributor), Genevieve Valentine (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor), H. G. Wells (Contributor), Connie Willis (Contributor), Gene Wolfe (Contributor), Charles Yu (Contributor)

"The Time Traveler's Almanac is the largest and most definitive collection of time travel stories ever assembled. Gathered into one volume by intrepid chrononauts and world-renowned anthologists Ann and Jeff VanderMeer, this book compiles more than a century's worth of literary travels into the past and the future that will serve to reacquaint readers with beloved classics of the time travel genre and introduce them to thrilling contemporary innovations.This marvelous volume includes nearly seventy journeys through time from authors such as Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, William Gibson, Ursula K. Le Guin, George R. R. Martin, Michael Moorcock, H. G. Wells, and Connie Willis, as well as helpful non-fiction articles original to this volume (such as Charles Yu's "Top Ten Tips For Time Travelers"). In fact, this book is like a time machine of its very own, covering millions of years of Earth's history from the age of the dinosaurs through to strange and fascinating futures, spanning the ages from the beginning of time to its very end. The Time Traveler's Almanac is the ultimate anthology for the time traveler in your life"--… (more)

Excellent and diverse collection of some of the best time travel SF.
  Steve_Walker | Sep 13, 2020 |
Another artful anthology from the Vandermeers. The introductions and sections and organization of this anthology is just astounding. Such a good lesson in themes and taste and choice.

One of my favorite Anthologies from the past few years was The Weird. Originally, I was kind of hesitant to get this as I'm not a huge fan of scifi but the variety in this anthology convinced me to get it. I'm glad I did. I think it has something that'll appeal to pretty much everyone. Also, I really enjoyed the non-fiction pieces too including the intro by Rian Johnson.

There are too many gems in this collection to name them all here. One of my absolute favorite was "Traveler's Rest" about a soldier who fights a war in a place where time passes more slowly then when he travels back home. The story is a very interesting idea and the ending was fantastic.

Another one of my favorites though was a contemporary piece called "Hwang's Billion Brilliant Daughters" and it's about a man who is propelled into the future every time he sleeps where he meets his descendants. I also really enjoyed "Fire Watch", the story of a history student who is sent back to London during World War II where he serves on the fire watch for St Paul's Cathedral.

"Enoch Soames" was a dark yet humorous tale about a writer who makes a deal with the devil to go into the future to witness his notoriety. "Life Trap" was a short but dark tale about an occult that finds out what happens after death. Lastly, "The Threads of Time" was an interesting story about an agent for the qhal who are allowed to travel into the past to mend time.

I got both a hardcover copy and the kindle ebook. The dust jacket and artwork look great for the physical book. Also, the kindle version is well formatted. Sometimes anthologies on Amazon have formatting problems and problems in the ToC. This did not.

One downside is that the physical book is really big. It's a little too big to hold with one hand so that's why I got the kindle version too. I still go back and reread pieces from The Weird every now and then and I think I'll do the same with TTA ( )
  modioperandi | May 12, 2020 |
When a book is on my "currently reading" shelf for a long time, either it takes a lot of thought or I might have multiple other books that keep bumping it. When it is on for more than a year...there are usually one or two larger reasons. 1) It's long (The Complete Sherlock Holmes, for example), or... 2) it's not that good (also...brace yourself Holmesians... The Complete Sherlock Holmes). This one also fit both of those criteria. A year in and I only managed a quarter through. Now, I'm stubborn. I rarely give in and don't finish something I've started, so three weeks ago I battened down the hatches and set about finishing.

Ms. VanderMeer curated a curious collection. And some of the worst stories were from Names. Le Guin, Moorcock, Gibson, Cherryh, Tanith Lee, Gene Wolfe... And so many stories from Hugo, Nebula, and more award winners that I've never heard of! Yes, I took a 35 year science fiction sabbatical, but I still had tertiary awareness of some parts of the world. Harry Turtledove was the biggest Name who wrote a good (actually, two, and they were paired) story. Of the remaining in this tome, less than ten were worth the time to read. More's the pity. But now it is a previously unfinished burden unburdened and finished. ( )
  Razinha | May 15, 2019 |
This is a real mixture of stories, some dating back a long way, others far more recent. Like any colleciton, there are stories that are good and those that are a lot less good.
The good:
The butterfly effect - I knew the term, but this is the tale form which the term originates. By going back in time and stepping on a butterfly the outcome of the recent US presidential election is reversed and the tone of politics is much impaired. All in all the new winner sounded a lot like Trump, so all we now need the planet to do is invent a time machine, so back in time, step on a butterfly and all will be well...
Enoch Soames - time travel as part of a pact with the devil that, clearly, doesn;t turn out for the best. Excellent twist on a story. I was intrigued that the point he went forward to was the reading room of the British Museum in 1997. If it had been a few years later and it would have moved!

A couple take you back into history, which is an intriguing thought, with the history being quite convincing. Fire Watch was probably the most convicing of this type.

The bad: Why there is the need to travel back in time and have sex, I reallly don't know. The story where a 40 year old, desparate to change his present, goes back to teach himself at 21 some lessons, ends up swopping lives and having sex with his 20 year old girlfriend is, frankly, dreadful, the ick factor taking over everything.

This isn't my usual type of reading material, I'm not a huge fan of science fiction, too much of it, I fear, sacrifices sience for fiction. However, in this colleciton there are certainly some authors I will consider looking out more of. A mixed bag rating of 3 stars, some much better, some should be avoided ( )
  Helenliz | Nov 13, 2018 |

"When we’re talking about whether or not a story’s 'time travel logic' makes sense, it is important to remember that every story builds its own framework for its own logic."--from the intro to The Time Traveler's Almanac

Though I am still reading The Time Travler's Almanac, I just have to go ahead and write something about how wonderful the collection is so far...I especially love the amazing short story by Robert Silverberg called "Needle In A Timestack."

It's part love story, part self-discovery and has one of the best endings ever, particularly if you need something to pick you up and reaffirm your belief that your heart keeps loving that same someone no matter how much Time (or as in Silverberg's story: someone else abusing time) may try to erase your memory.

I like "Needle In A Haystack" for its time travel aspects:

"Only fourteen years back, and yet the world looked prehistoric to him, the clothing and the haircuts and the cars all wrong, the buildings heavy and clumsy, the advertisements floating overhead offering archaic and absurd products in blaring gaudy colors. Odd that the world of 2012 had not looked so crude to him the first time he had lived through it; but then the present never looks crude, he thought, except through the eyes of the future."

...but also for the parts that remind me good science fiction is still telling a story about humans and what they believe or think they believe. At this point our main character has forgotten he once had a wife he loved deeply and is living what he thinks is a contented life:

"...he was the only singleton left in the whole crowd. That was a little awkward. But he hadn’t ever met anyone he genuinely wanted to spend the rest of his life with, or even as much as a year with."

His other incarnations leave him notes to remind him of Janine, his wife, but the messages always fade as soon as merges into a new timeline. By the time he meets her again, yet really for the first time, he doesn't know who she is. Still, both he and Janine (whose timelines have also been messed with by another man who wants to be with Janine at any cost) experience something special:

She stared up at him. “This sounds absurd,” she said, “but don’t I know you from somewhere?” Mikkelsen felt a warm flood of mysterious energy surging through him as their eyes met.

I am an absolute sucker for a good love story, especially when both people knowingly (or unknowingly) face impossible odds in finally getting together. I hope the rest of the stories in Time Traveler's Almanac continue to be as fascinating and quirky as they have so far...

Here's one you can read for yourself!:

Happy reading! There is lots here to get excited about, especially if you love good science fiction! :)
  booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |

• Bad Timing / Molly Brown
    • If Ever I Should Leave You / Pamela Sargent
    • Palimpsest / Charlie Stross

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,345,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible