HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Saga Volume 3

by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer), Fiona Staples (Artist)

Series: Saga (collects 13-18)

"New parents Marko and Alana travel to an alien world to visit their hero, while the family's pursuers finally close in on their targets" --

English (108)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (110)
The only problem with these is that I have to wait for the next one. Fantastic. ( )
  Catherinesque | Jan 25, 2023 |
I read the last two volumes (plus everything but the last issue of Volume 5) of this series in a catch-up during last week so it's all in a blur for me. I have so many feelings about all the relationships that take place between these people. The importance of politics, and the staleness of it, when you become too removed from your own wars, if they are being fought a world away from you, only mentioned in your news. The families, both the main one, and the two secondaries. The characters who struggle to remain together and those who end up dying too soon. I am still dying to know where this series takes us, especially with some of the ominous "not for years from now" promise the narrator has already given us. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 26, 2022 |
Wow. Another fast paced, hard hitting volume. My head is all over the places because I never know how to cheer for. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 30, 2022 |
If Saga were published as one large tome instead of multiple volumes, I doubt I'd be nope-ing out at this point but here we are. Too much violence for my current mental state and volume 4 will not get a chance to impress. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 28, 2022 |
What's not to love in an intergalactic romance, capable of approaching deep themes with humour and sharpness? This book manages to resume the events of the previous one and also introduce new characters. The story is great both because of its social critics and its entertainment value.

For those unaware of the events, Alana and Marko are two soldiers from opposite sides of a galactic conflict, who fall in love 12 hours after their first meeting and decide to flee, distancing themselves from the tragic story of Romeo and Juliet.

Saga – Volume one begins with the birth of Hazel, their first child, a symbol of hope in a world at war, for which (quickly but not easily) they get a babysitter. She's Izabel, a young ghost, whose body ends up in hanging intestines. Both gross and badass.

Saga – Volume Two introduces us to Marko's parents and, continuing to focus on the familiar heart of our occasional narrator, expands the narrative through worldbuilding and the development of secondary characters, whose sub-plots continue to stand out more and more.

Saga – Volume Three takes up previous events to unravel what happened after the encounter with D. Oswald Heist, Alana's literary hero. At the same time, we discover what is happening with other characters, such as The Will and his companions, Gwendolyn, Marko's very angry ex-fiancee, and the six-year-old ex-sex slave.

The characters remain indisputably human – in their thoughts, conflicts and desires, despite their aesthetic, ethnic, sexual and even gender-behaviour diversity. More than that, they are captivating, and that's only because of Vaughan's ability to explore their personalities and lives beyond first impressions.

And then, there's the distinction between heroes and villains. Each one of them is just people that, in a world at war, have been forced to choose sides. After all, the conflict between the planet Terravista and the satellite Coroa involves the entire galaxy, and even the most neutral ones ended up being affected.

The premise may be linear: a romantic couple of opposing factions who, despite not being interested in proving that love has no barriers, ends up becoming a symbol of hope. But the way the narrative is told, in unexpected twists, makes Saga an incredibly magical series. The issues addressed are contemporary, the message of tolerance runs through the entire narrative, and Vaughan insists on breaking taboos in the most shocking way possible. By the way, the sexual content remains, but volume two had already been censored by Apple's App Store for showing explicit homosexual sex. Despite the graphic tone, nudity and the depiction of sexual relationships and distinct sexual preferences is nothing new to fans.

The existence of a monarchic planet is another interesting detail, especially because Robot Prince IV (his thoughts and desires can be glimpsed in the screen he has in the place of what would be a normal human head). The sub-plot that involves his family inevitably influences the protagonists' lives. And there's also the first appearance of yet another freelancer, plus the existence of enough romance, drama and corrosive humour for readers to get emotionally involved, especially when Vaughan decides that, since there is a war, there must be more than just the wounded.

As for Staples' art, there is little that has yet to be said about her talent, which is why she won again, in 2015, the Eisner Prize for Best Designer and the Harvey Prize for Best Art and Best Cover. The colour palette, inspired by video games and anime, is predominantly warm and lively (lots of oranges, yellows, greens and hot pink). Creativity is reflected both in the details and in the elegance with which she creates more fantastic beings. ( )
  inkspellonyou | Aug 10, 2022 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering and designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm positive, they were a fuckin' couple.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,922,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible