dismiss

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati

Into the Wilderness (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Sara Donati (Author)

A judge's daughter elopes with a white adventurer in Colonial America. Elizabeth arrived from England to marry a doctor, but is smitten by Nathaniel, a man raised by the Mohawks. The doctor, however, refuses to give her up and pursues them.
Member:librariansteffen3
Title:Into the Wilderness
Authors:Sara Donati (Author)
Info:Bantam (1999), 912 pages

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (1998)

Recently added bydeequa, rena40, private library, Carmelreader, librariansteffen3, LauraFed
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon (pollywannabook)
    Outlander [2008 film] by Howard McCain (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: While Donati's stories do not have the paranormal/time travel elements, these two both have historical ties, a strong female lead, romance, and sweeping family saga. Jamie and Claire do make cameos in this first book (with D.G.'s blessing)
    Christy by Catherine Marshall (VictoriaPL)
    The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (frsdiaz)

English (56)  Spanish (1)  All languages (57)
I really enjoyed this story. Eloquently written. Great adventure...took me back to the 1700s. ( )
  sishpa | Apr 25, 2020 |
A brilliantly written masterpiece in every way! If you like historical fiction Into the Wilderness is a hallmark example of how to do it right. As a young man, the stories by James Fenimore Cooper captured my imagination, The Leatherstocking Tales: Deerslayer, Last of the Mohicans, The Pathfinder and more. They are set during the French and Indian War, in and around the New York frontier. The writing style can be a bit hard to get into since it is quite old, but the stories are excellent. Into the Wilderness starts a series of books by Sara Donati that follow the offspring of Hawkeye from the original stories and carries us through the decades following the war, through the War of 1812 up to the Battle of New Orleans. Donati has changed the surname of the family but the rest is true to the originals. However, the prose is light years beyond the originals.

This first installment sets the tone and introduces the characters. A well-educated young woman from England, Elizabeth Middleton, has been brought by her father to the small wilderness village on the western edge of the New York frontier, where Hawkeye lives with his extended family of Mohican Indians. His son, Nathanial Bonner is a prominent figure in the region, known for his hunting skill, and his wilderness prowess, which he inherited from his father. To call it a romance story would not be wrong, but it would short shrift the complexity and nuance of this story. It weaves unconventional love with the fate of the Mohawk. This book has everything you could ask for in a story: brilliant prose, colorful characters, exciting setting, intriguing plot, wild adventure, love, sex, betrayal and so much more. It touched me emotionally as I got invested in all the characters. All of them are complex and well-developed and each has their own voice and motives. It is a wonderful example of a character-driven story.

The person behind the pseudonym, Rosina Lippi, is a college professor in her other life and the historical aspects of this book are extraordinarily well-researched. I learned things about slavery and how women and people of color were treated in the era that were never covered in my history lessons.

I’m so glad my wife turned me on to Sara Donati. I’ve read and loved every book in the series and look forward to her next series. There is even a short crossover with Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon for fans of that series.

I listened to this on audiobook and the reading by Kate Reading (Jennifer Mendenhall) is amazing. This story and the ones that follow fell right into her wheelhouse, with many different accents and languages. Kate can do Scots, French and English with equal appeal. With this series, she has risen to be my favorite audiobook reader.

The stories that follow this are all fantastic, but this one is special and will remain one of my favorite novels of all-time. ( )
  Kardaen | Apr 24, 2020 |
It started out as a historical novel that then devolved into a sappy romance with unbelievably contrived situations and events. Also, everyone is magically filthy rich. The naming after characters in Last of the Mohicans was cute at first, but then the author threw in names from Pride and Prejudice, at which point it was silly and irritating. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
The first in a series of 6 books about a couple living in the forests of New York in the late 1700 and early 1800s. Lots of adventure, great characters and is well written. ( )
  bettysunflower | Oct 1, 2018 |
An OK written historical romance/novel. Unfortunately it is also a soap opera, and I can't stand the things. So, while it she can paint lovely pictures with words, I have some problems with her historicity, and I won't be reading any more of the series. She has written some interesting sounding non-fiction on the other hand, so I will give those a try. ( )
  oldenoughdk | Feb 8, 2018 |
Elizabeth Middleton, twenty nine years old and unmarried, overly educated and excessively rational, knowing right from wrong and fancy from fact, woke in a nest of marten and fox pelts to the sight of an eagle circling overhead, and saw at once that it could not be far to Paradise.
Part 1 Discovering Paradise- December 1792; Elizabeth Middleton, twenty nine years old and unmarried, overly educated and excessively rational, knowing right from wrong and fancy from fact, woke in a nest of marten and fox pelts to the sight of an eagle circling overhead, and saw at once that it could not be far to Paradise

Sara Donati is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,526,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible