Jeremy Poldark (1950)

by Winston Graham

Series: Poldark Saga (3)

6911825,524 (3.94)1 / 167
Passion, tide and time - the third book in the legendary Poldark saga Cornwall, 1790: Ross Poldark faces the darkest hour of his life. Accused of wrecking two ships, he is to stand trial at the Bodmin Assizes. Despite their stormy married life, Demelza has tried to rally support for her husband. But there are enemies in plenty who would be happy to see Ross convicted, not least George Warleggan, the powerful banker, whose personal rivalry with Ross grows ever more intense.… (more)

This sees Verity marrying the love of her life, although I think waters will be choppy because of her step children, which she has yet to meet. Jeremy is the new born son of Ross, and although the book is named after him, he didn't make an appearance until the last 1/3 of the book. I've seen Ross make a few bad calls in judgement during this book and I hope that turns around as the next book in the series is entitled the name of his nemesis. ( )
  Tess_W | Oct 1, 2020 |
This is my least favorite of the first three in the [Poldark] saga by [Winston Graham] but that dosen't mean I did't like it. In this volume Ross and his cousin come to a truce and they enter into mining together again. George Warlaggan gets increasinly disguting, Caroline continues to befriend Demelza and a new baby is born. Basically this book is about life moving on. ( )
  clue | Sep 20, 2020 |
Jeremy (son of Demelza and Ross) is more in the background as opposed to being the subject. Not really factored in in the tv PBS series. ( )
  lhaines56 | Jul 8, 2020 |
So, for me, this was the worst of the three books I've read thus far. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it (because I did!) or that I thought the writing had gone down hill (It hadn't!) it was just the story like, I reckon. I couldn't get into it as much as I did with the first two books. I would still recommend it though because there are lots of twists and turns that are a joy to read. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Nov 20, 2017 |
The compelling saga of the Poldarks continues. The novel opens with Ross on trial for allegedly helping in the "riot" related to looting of a vessel shipwrecked on the shores of his beach. Ross and George Warleggan continue as bitter enemies, with George seeking to ruin Ross in any way he can, as Ross plans to open a new copper mine. Dwight Enys, the doctor, remains an important character, and Caroline Penvennen, a seemingly spoiled heiress is introduced. At the heart of the novel, the relationship between Demelza and Ross continues to be the "star" of this series.

4 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | Jul 14, 2017 |
In August 1790 three men rode along the mule track past Grambler Mine and made towards the straggling cottages at the end of the village.
aka Venture Once More

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,405,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible