Jeremy Poldark by Winston Graham

Jeremy Poldark (1950)

by Winston Graham

5041728,828 (3.99)1 / 144

The third book in the Poldark series. The farther into the series I go the deeper my feelings become for these marvelous characters. Demelza Poldark is one of the most finely drawn, enthralling women ever put to paper. She has become the heart of the books for me, and I feel that Winston Graham must have felt the same. She is open and honest and leads with her heart, and she puts the gentry to shame.

In this book we become better acquainted with Dwight Enys, a doctor ahead of his time, who feels for his patients and despairs when he cannot provide for them the basic services they so sorely need. And, there is, of course, the villain, George Warleggan, whose villainy springs from all to recognizable human traits: greed, jealousy, and feelings of his own insecurity. I love his repartee with Caroline Penvenen that is charged with both humor and an undercurrent of sexual tension.

Ross Poldark walks the tightrope that is life, and he does it without a net. He faces risks with bravado but without arrogance. He knows he might lose at any moment and that what he bets on is precious and irreplaceable, but he is unwilling to let someone else pulls his strings. You cannot help admiring him, even when he is so headstrong and wrong-headed that you want to shake him.

I cannot imagine what more one would want from a story of this nature than that it holds you, involves you, and pleases you. Winston Graham does all three. I am anxious to begin Book Four.

”Human beings were blind, crazy creatures, he thought, forever walking the tightrope of the present condemned to ever changing shifts and expedients to maintain the balance of existence, not knowing even as far ahead as tomorrow what the actions of today would bring. How could one plan a year ahead, how influence the imponderables?”

phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
So, for me, this was the worst of the three books I've read thus far. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it (because I did!) or that I thought the writing had gone down hill (It hadn't!) it was just the story like, I reckon. I couldn't get into it as much as I did with the first two books. I would still recommend it though because there are lots of twists and turns that are a joy to read. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Nov 20, 2017 |
Maybe it’s because I’m just of common stock, but I want the home about me: candles burning, curtains drawn, warmth, tea, friendship, love. Those are what matter to me.
~Demelza, [book:Jeremy Poldark|25365698]

Although the title refers to a new member of the Poldark clan, this 3rd book remains true to the original driving force of the series with Ross and Demelza still at the forefront of the story. To call this a romance novel would be an injustice to [author:Winston Graham's|5179] keen attention to historical details focusing on the economic and social divisions leading up to Great Britain's impending conflict with France. Even the romantic notions are complex, with aspects of jealousy, greed and lust, interwoven with devotion, friendship, humility and loyalty. ( )
  Lisa805 | Nov 17, 2017 |
The compelling saga of the Poldarks continues. The novel opens with Ross on trial for allegedly helping in the "riot" related to looting of a vessel shipwrecked on the shores of his beach. Ross and George Warleggan continue as bitter enemies, with George seeking to ruin Ross in any way he can, as Ross plans to open a new copper mine. Dwight Enys, the doctor, remains an important character, and Caroline Penvennen, a seemingly spoiled heiress is introduced. At the heart of the novel, the relationship between Demelza and Ross continues to be the "star" of this series.

4 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | Jul 14, 2017 |
Graham is a talented author who knows how to keep readers turning passages. Dealing with grief, Ross incites a raid on two ship-wrecked boats that lands him in trouble with the law. Admits this storm, and the ever looming threat of poverty, Captain McNeil enters the scene and makes a play for Demelza's heart. ( )
  Nicole_L_Ochoa | May 2, 2017 |
In August 1790 three men rode along the mule track past Grambler Mine and made towards the straggling cottages at the end of the village.
aka Venture Once More

Ross Poldark stands accused of wrecking two ships. Despite their stormy marriage, Demelza has tried to rally support for her husband. But there are enemies who would be happy to see Ross convicted, not least George Warleggan, the powerful banker, whose personal rivalry grows ever more intense.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

Ross Poldark faces the darkest hour of his life in this third novel of the Poldark series. Reeling from the tragic death of a loved one, Captain Poldark vents his grief by inciting impoverished locals to salvage the contents of a ship run aground in a storm-an act for which British law proscribes death by hanging. Ross is brought to trial for his involvement, and despite their stormy marriage, Demelza tries to rally support for her husband, to save him and their family. But there are enemies in plenty who would be happy to see Ross convicted, not the least of which is George Warleggan, the powerful banker whose personal rivalry with Ross grows ever more intense and threatens to destroy the Poldarks. And into this setting, Jeremy Poldark, Ross and Demelza's first son, is born... The Poldark series is the masterwork of Winston Graham's life work, evoking the period and people like only he can and creating a work of rich and poor, loss and love, that you will not soon forget.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,161,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible