Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales by Jacob…

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales (original 1812; edition 2011)

by Jacob Grimm (Author), Margaret Hunt (Translator), Ph.D. Kenneth C. Mondschein (Introduction)

More than 200 tales by the Brothers Grimm.
Member:kingw
Title:Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Authors:Jacob Grimm (Author)
Other authors:Margaret Hunt (Translator), Ph.D. Kenneth C. Mondschein (Introduction)
Info:Canterbury Classics (2011), Edition: Lea, 652 pages

The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jacob Grimm (1812)

Italian Folktales by Italo Calvino (sibyllacumaea)
    The Brothers Grimm: From Enchanted Forests to the Modern World by Jack Zipes (_Zoe_)
    Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Dahl based his poems on Grimms' tales
    Reckless by Cornelia Funke (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Funke's Mirrorworld is imbued with the themes and atmosphere of the Grimm tales, even though the modern world is encroaching.

English (78)  Spanish (4)  Danish (2)  All languages (84)
So many stories in this version! Quite a few I'd read before, but most were new to me. Read the ebook version, seemed to never end. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
These were hit and miss tales. Yet, there was so much to gain from reading some of the better ones that it augmented the rating significantly. These are classics, through and throughout, and they touch on the simpler, more moralistic sense of storytelling and manage to convey so much with so little. Overall, it was well worth reading and I feel I am all the better for it.

4 stars! ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 12, 2019 |
The original versions not Disneyfied. Lots of deaths. Tricksters. Fools. Kindness rewarded. Cleverness rewarded. Some have morals. Some are just for fun to laugh at the foolishness. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jul 19, 2019 |
(Original Review, 2005-11-16)

In Genesis there is suddenly this sentence/observation about giants walking the Earth in them days... I always see those elderly male Jews in Babylon, staring glumly at some campfire, thinking about the good old days and thinking up revengeful plans to smite the enemy. They tell the stories of their tribes but there is that one quite senile idiot always going on about 'them giants' - so in the end they say, "Okay, we WILL put them in. Now shut up already!" I can see myself being the Giant Guy (if more all over the place) and I'm not sure the good campfire folks here need the distraction... I don't know if it is only about 'folk tales' per se, but I am with most people on the campfire and howling wolves. For me the atmospherics are very, very important. Our culture no longer has much in the way of campfires and wolves so our writers have had to incorporate them, figuratively, into the fictions themselves. The rest is literary history.

I don't see fairytales simply as children's stories; that's a relatively recent- and, of late, receding- viewpoint. There is a vast quantity of material around beyond Grimm and Andersen and little of it aimed at children. Perrault or Marie Catherine d'Aulnoy were writing for the amusement of adults, and the Arabian Nights were not exactly suitable bedtime reading for under-5's, while Karen Blixen/Isak Dinesen achieved almost occult-like effects in her wondrous tales, which float somewhere between Baghdad and Copenhagen.

Fairytales are most powerful when they access the taboo, the suppressed, or the deepest fears and desires within us. And they do so often. Your "children's rituals" and "simple messages" are really only the tip of the iceberg. For that matter, “The talented Mr. Ripley” (LINK) fulfills a similar role - a very wicked and challenging little tale full of deliciously gratuitous moments, the enjoyment of which made me at least think long and hard about my own morality.

I was raised on the standard stuff: Grimm and Andersen mostly. There is obviously darkness there - and taboos, yes. (It's interesting that in the stories where children are imperiled the original versions had 'mother' and the later versions 'stepmothers'.) The ones I and probably most children end(ed) up with are the simpler, safer ones though, don't you think? I love Angela Carter's “Bloody Chamber” but most kids will be more likely to see Disney as the centre of the fairytale universe - which truly is a disservice to fairytales, of course.

I am no longer that interested in stories where the characters are merely there to move things alone. Like standard puppets that can be used and reused for all kinds of similar types of stories. As I mentioned elsewhere, that goes for all kinds of stories, including movies. What I find fascinating about the early stories passed along (mutating on the way) is more that they give us some kinds of fleeting glimpse of the origin story of stories. Because most of the early part of that origins stories is/was in an oral form we can never really know how stories began and evolved. There are no helpful fossils - or not enough to have more than (slightly) informed theories.

Did stories start as parts of religious/ceremonial chants? Were they like cave paintings: meant to magically influence the outcome of the hunt? Where did fiction start to make an entrance, if the earliest stories were mostly a sort of remembering (the deeds and wisdom of) dead tribe members? All endlessly fascinating to me - and no more than useless musings in the end.

Back to fairytales for a moment. They may no longer really work for me as entertainment but the reason they don't is in a way part of their strength. That they are predictable is partly why they work so well as stories. They warn us about the evils of the world but they are also almost like a church service: a repeated ritual to explain the world. They bring order to what basically is a chaotic system. Which is of course also why they are so enduringly popular with children, who like rituals and the idea of safety-through-repetition. I like my stories, like “Grimms Märchen,” more complex but it is easy to see how stories that carve simple messages out of the complex narrative of the world will be as enduring as the world. In that way they are exactly like religion (for me at least). The Grimms, despite their initial attempt to be "invisible" curators of folklore, began increasingly to modify and colour the tales they transcribed. Italo Calvino discusses this phenomenon at length in the introduction to Italian Fables, his own attempt to replicate the Grimms' work in Italy. ( )
  antao | Nov 24, 2018 |
The Grimm Fairy tales were an AMAZING read They were so fun to read but also very dark. First I read Cinderella I was so surprised when I learned she got her dresses from a TREE. Also her first name was Ella, but that is not so surprising. Next I read Rapunzel. I can't believe that they gave up their child for some lettuce, also when the prince was climbing the tower when the witch was there he fell into the thorn bushes and didn't die I mean like how do you not die by falling from a TOWER. The next story was Little Red Ridding Hood, but after the wolf ate the grandma and Red the Huntsman cut open the wolf's stomach when he was sleeping, and got Red and her Grandmother out. Then Red filled his stomach with Rocks and sewed it up again. When the Wolf woke he ran away but died before he got to far because of the rocks. They were all story's like that that I read in the book.
I liked this book because it taught lots of lessons and thing to keep in mind. This book was a wonderful read and I loved it. I think lots of people would love it to if they took the time to read it like I made my friend read it and she loved it too. ( )
  avak.b3 | May 26, 2018 |

Scharl, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stern, JamesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ubbelohde, OttoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zipes, JackTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sage vergeht nie ganz, die verbreitete,
welche der Völker redende Lippe umschwebt:
denn sie ist unsterbliche Göttin (Hesiod, 763)
An die Frau Bettina von Arnim
In olden times, when wishing still helped, there lived a king whose daughters were all beautiful, but the youngest was so beautiful that the sun itself, which had seen so many things, was always filled with amazement each time it cast its rays upon her face.
Long ago, when wishes often came true, there lived a King whose daughters were all handsome, but the youngest was so beautiful that the sun himself, who has seen everything, was bemused every time he shone over her because of her beauty.

For almost two centuries, the stories of magic and myth gathered by the Brothers Grimm have been part of the way children—and adults—learn about the vagaries of the real world. Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow-White, Hänsel and Gretel, Little Red-Cap (a.k.a. Little Red Riding Hood), and Briar-Rose (a.k.a. Sleeping Beauty) are only a few of more than 200 enchanting characters included here.
Presents over two hundred tales by the Brothers Grimm, including well-known ones like "Sleeping Beauty," and darker tales such as "Death's Messengers." (Amazon.com offers a Look Inside, with Table of Contents, at https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASI...)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,342,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible