Complete Fairy Tales Of The Brothers Grimm

Complete Fairy Tales Of The Brothers Grimm (original 2009; edition 2002)

More than 200 tales by the Brothers Grimm.
Member:Darcie_Zorniak
Title:Complete Fairy Tales Of The Brothers Grimm
Authors:
Info:BANTAM BOOKS (2002)

Work Information

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm (2009)

Italian Folktales by Italo Calvino (sibyllacumaea)
    The Brothers Grimm: From Enchanted Forests to the Modern World by Jack Zipes (_Zoe_)
    Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Dahl based his poems on Grimms' tales
    Reckless by Cornelia Funke (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Funke's Mirrorworld is imbued with the themes and atmosphere of the Grimm tales, even though the modern world is encroaching.

English (93)  Spanish (4)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (100)
They are the stories we've known since we were children. Rapunzel. Hansel and Gretel. Cinderella. Sleeping Beauty. But the works originally collected by the Brothers Grimm in the early 1800s are not necessarily the versions we heard before bedtime. They're darker and often don't end very happily--but they're often far more interesting.

This elegant edition of Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales includes all our cherished favorites--Snow White, Rumpelstiltskin, Little Red Cap, and many more--in their original versions. With specially designed end papers, a genuine leather cover, and other enhancements, it's the perfect gift for anyone looking to build a complete home library.

Many of these tales begin with the familiar refrain of “once upon a time”--but they end with something unexpected and fascinating!
  RosaSantos | Oct 19, 2022 |
Decided to read Grimm after Tale of Tales. I can tell the Grimm Brothers were inspired by Giambattista Basile. A handful of these tales I've either read before in other anthologies, seen adaptations, or read versions of them from the comic book Fables. I enjoyed reading this book, but felt like this was more a reread than reading something new. However, there were many tales I never heard of before. I didn't realize that the Grimm Brothers had so many religious stories, like Hans Christian Anderson and Christa Rossetti. One thing that annoyed me was the character names. They used the name Hans way too many times. I'm not sure if it was on purpose or not, but their lesser know stories lacked creativity in names. Overall, there were some stories I didn't care for, but this is a must read for story tellers.

The Pantheon edition I kind of liked and didn't. I wasn't a fan of the illustrations. They didn't seem to fit the story sometimes. I wasn't a fan of the lack of footnotes and notes either. They only had a few here and there. They needed more. What I love was Joseph Campbell's commentary at the end. It's a little long, but it helps others realize the Grimm Brothers are part of this chain of stories that have stuck with humanity over the years to help use relate and understand life better than what we may see with the human eye. We need fiction in our life and we need fairy tales as children and as adults. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
Probably one of the only books that I've read many times, and also one of the largest I've read in my life. I was so keen on fairy tales I was a kid! ( )
  luciarux | Jul 3, 2022 |
Magical but dark. Take care with the maturity level of the child reading the book.
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
So to be honest, I didn't read ever tale, I never intended to. I mostly just wanted to skim the ones I love. I had never read the originals before (not to my knowledge anyway) and wanted to. Basically, the ones that are the most well known, are well known for a reason. Some of the lesser known ones are good as well, but my favorites were all the famous ones. I have to admit, I like a lot of the newer takes one them than the originals. I was surprised to find a lot of the tales talking about religion and such, but I guess that was the time they were written. It was interesting to read. (Or rather skim) ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |

Is contained in

Contains

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

Sage vergeht nie ganz, die verbreitete,
welche der Völker redende Lippe umschwebt:
denn sie ist unsterbliche Göttin (Hesiod, 763)
An die Frau Bettina von Arnim
In olden times, when wishing still helped, there lived a king whose daughters were all beautiful, but the youngest was so beautiful that the sun itself, which had seen so many things, was always filled with amazement each time it cast its rays upon her face.
Long ago, when wishes often came true, there lived a King whose daughters were all handsome, but the youngest was so beautiful that the sun himself, who has seen everything, was bemused every time he shone over her because of her beauty.
More than 200 tales by the Brothers Grimm.

For almost two centuries, the stories of magic and myth gathered by the Brothers Grimm have been part of the way children—and adults—learn about the vagaries of the real world. Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow-White, Hänsel and Gretel, Little Red-Cap (a.k.a. Little Red Riding Hood), and Briar-Rose (a.k.a. Sleeping Beauty) are only a few of more than 200 enchanting characters included here.
Presents over two hundred tales by the Brothers Grimm, including well-known ones like "Sleeping Beauty," and darker tales such as "Death's Messengers." (Amazon.com offers a Look Inside, with Table of Contents, at https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASI...)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,111,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible