What We Can't Not Know: A Guide by J.…

What We Can't Not Know: A Guide (2003)

by J. Budziszewski

Superb. ( )
  Steve777 | Oct 15, 2009 |
Not a book for beginners in natural theology. This difficult book has materials worth knowing and understanding. An excellent companion to his other work on the topic, Written on the Heart: the case for natural law. ( )
  temsmail | Dec 12, 2006 |
The mind of man is the product of live Law;

it thinks by law, it dwells in the midst of law,

it gathers from law its growth; with law, therefore,

can it alone work to any result.

George MacDonald
To my grandparents Julian and Janina Budziszewski, Long Departed, Not Forgotten.
This book is about the lost world of the common truths—about what we all really know about right and wrong.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 189062649X, Hardcover)

J. Budziszewski’s newest book is about the lost world of common truths—what we all really know about right and wrong.

We are passing through an eerie phase of history. The things that everyone really knows are treated as unheard of, and the principles of decency are attacked as indecent. Exposing the emptiness of contemporary moral fashions, Budziszewski explores the rules of human conduct that we can’t not know.

Budziszewski’s purpose is to "bolster the confidence of plain people in the rational foundations of their common moral sense." He shows that certain moral truths—"as real as arithmetic"—are part of the equipment of a rational mind. They are not only true for all, but at some level known to all. Yet, paradoxically, they are under attack. He explains why.

Addressing "the persuaded, the half-persuaded, and the wish-I-were-persuaded," Budziszewski shows the unanimity of Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish traditions about these common truths. But what about the unpersuaded—those who deny the reality of the moral law, who are on the other side of the great dispute over the basic norms for human life? Civility, he insists, does not require that this unprecedented gulf be papered over. What’s needed are charity and clarity, which he provides in abundance.

"A few times in a generation, if we are fortunate, moral intelligence finds a voice as lucid, engaging, and relentless as that of J. Budziszewski," says Richard John Neuhaus, publisher of First Things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:17 -0400)

Exposing the emptiness of contemporary moral fashions, Budziszewski explores the rules of human conduct that we can't not know. Budziszewski's purpose is to bolster the confidence of plain people in the rational foundations of their common moral sense.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,373,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible