Let's Get Lost (English Edition) by Adi…

Let's Get Lost (English Edition) (edition 2014)

by Adi Alsaid (Author)

During her cross-country adventures following the tragic death of her family, Leila touches the lives of four strangers -- Hudson, Bree, Elliot, and Sonia. While forever changing the lives of these four, Leila also discovers an important truth about herself.
Member:NicoletteMarie
Title:Let's Get Lost (English Edition)
Authors:Adi Alsaid (Author)
Info:Harlequin Teen (2014), Edition: Original, 352 pages

Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid

At first Let’s Get Lost by Adi Alsaid appears to be about a teenage girl, Leila, and her road trip north to Alaska to see the Northern Lights. However, it soon becomes apparent that this book is actually a series of interconnected short stories, with Leila being the one thing they have in common. As Leila travels she meets other young people and she seems to arrive just when they really need someone to help them figure out their life. Leila gives advice on romance, family problems, university plans and over the course of one crazy prom night, how to get the girl of your dreams.

When I started this YA book, I wasn’t sure that it was going to be a book for me, but the stories drew me in and I ended up really enjoying the experience. While Leila offers insight, advice, support and friendship to the teens she meets, she reveals very little about herself so I was anticipating the final story which I was sure would be about her.

Like all good road trips, the destination isn’t as important as the actual journey and Let’s Get Lost was a fun trip. The author included plenty of humor and brought an overall feeling of lightness to the book, yet each story had a definite message to a pass along. I listened to an audio version of the book as read by Amanda Cobb whose voice perfectly suited these stories. Although I am far from the targeted age for this book, I nevertheless found it a nice escape read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 5, 2020 |
I love this debut novel!
LOVE.
It's told from each persons viewpoint, normally I don't like that, but this book it worked. Actually, I would want it any other way. You get a sense of each character. Then there is this epiphany moment in each vignette. It's beautiful, sometimes making me tear up, and it hits the story home. Then it all comes together with this beautiful six degree of separation thing, and you literally close the book and go wow.
At least I did.
And this is a debut novel.... I can't wait to read his other works as well! ( )
  fredamans | Jul 28, 2019 |
Great summer read! By the end of the book you truly have a connection with Leila. I really enjoyed the narrative and getting to know Leila through the stories of the 4 people she meets on her journey to the Northern Lights ( )
  LibraryLady14 | Jan 24, 2019 |

Let’s Get Lost by Adi Alsaid tells of Leila’s encounters as she is traveling in her red car across the country on her way to Alaska to view the Northern Lights. In the book, she meets four different young people who are all facing some sort of trial in their lives. With Leila’s assistance Hudson, Bree, Elliot and Sonia are each able to disentangle from their difficult situations. Following each encounter, Leila continues on her way north toward her destination. Leila reveals very little about herself throughout the four encounters that are almost like individual short stories and she does not divulge her reasons for wanting to reach Alaska to view the Northern Lights until the very last chapters in the book. It is in these pages that we finally meet the real Leila.

I was a little dismayed at the contrived attempts at using lots of figurative language in the writing. For example, I just could not imagine tears scurrying down someone’s cheeks. I was also expecting that the story might be a fantasy since Leila always appeared at just the right moment and knew just how to solve each problem without much anxiety on her part. But given all of that, I know that Alsaid is writing for the teen audience who will enjoy reading about the adventures of Leila and the other teenagers. And, they will certainly be delighted that a happy ending is in store for all of the characters. The book offers the teen reader adventures, romance and self-discovery. They will expect more books from this author.

This review is written from an ARC courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.

Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
For a book subtitled "a coming of age story" I did not feel like that is what I was reading. A teenage girl must find herself, but it isn't because she is a teenage girl. This particular girl is holding on to a secret that makes her a little impulsive, and a little bit reckless, but extremely loveable. I didn't feel like the story was all that realistic, until I reminded myself that even though it is told from 6 different perspectives, it really is a book about one individual. I would be open to re-reading this book, now that I know how it ends. I feel like I would find a deeper connection with the characters a second time around, and maybe even enjoy the book more. ( )
  startwithgivens | Mar 21, 2018 |

Adi Alsaid is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,809,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible