The Crossover by Kwame Alexander

The Crossover (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Kwame Alexander (Author)

Series: The Crossover (1)

Fourteen-year-old twin basketball stars Josh and Jordan wrestle with highs and lows on and off the court as their father ignores his declining health.
Member:Ianh.B1
Title:The Crossover
Authors:Kwame Alexander (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2014), Edition: Later Printing, 240 pages

Work Information

The Crossover by Kwame Alexander (2014)

This book is about two twin brothers named Josh and Jordan who love basketball. Josh and Jordan feel as though they have to live up to their father who was successful in basketball. The boys feel the pressure to be perfect. Both on and off the court, there is conflict and hardship which will test Josh’s bond with his brother. This book is a novel in verse about the brothers' journey which doesn’t come with a play-book and it's not all about winning. I think this book would be great to have in my class library to intrigue the male audience. This book's main characters are African American which also gives representation for different cultures. Middle school boys can relate to the main characters and I think middle school students would really enjoy this book. ( )
  Roxana_Guerra | Nov 19, 2021 |
Josh Bell, a.k.a. Filthy McNasty, and his twin brother Jordan (JB), are junior high basketball phenoms; their father, Chuck "Da Man" Bell, played in a European league and put basketballs in their hands as soon as they could hold them. The boys have different strengths but play together well - usually. But JB wins a bet and gets to cut off one of Josh's locs, but then cuts off five, and Josh has to shave off the rest. Then JB gets a girlfriend, new girl Alexis, "Miss Sweet Tea," and has less time for Josh. And their dad is having health problems but refuses to go to the doctor, and the brothers discover that his career ended because he refused to get surgery. Ironically, it's his fear of doctors and hospitals that makes things worse, culminating in tragedy right as the twins' team is headed into their most important game.

This novel in free verse flows like a basketball game itself, full of rhythm and rhyme, loud and quiet, fast and slow. Josh narrates game action with hip-hop style: words appear in bold, caps, italics, and other creative typography. Thirteen is a difficult age - even if you're already six feet tall and can dunk - and Josh navigates sudden changes the best he can. Some poems are basketball rules, others are definitions (e.g. hypertension).

See also: Track series by Jason Reynolds, Before the Ever After by Jacqueline Woodson, Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang

Quotes

"Silence doesn't mean
we have run out of things to say,
only that we are trying
not to say them." ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 30, 2021 |
Middlegrade novel in verse (basketball, school, 9th grade twins). Kwame writes good poetry (with vocabulary-boosting words, even), and this would do well with certain 6th-9th grade boys who can't find books that speak to them otherwise. I generally want to skim over poetry novels and just find out what happens, but it becomes fairly clear that (1) the father will have some terrible health calamity happen to him and (2) this new girl will come between the two twins. Once I figured that out I stopped reading, since I wasn't really interested in the characters and how that would affect them so much (maybe because I didn't relate to them at all). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
A fantastic middle grade novel in free verse about twin brothers and their changing lives both on and off the basketball court. It's beautifully done, with varying methods of verse that reflect the situations and emotions as they change throughout, and with a story that grabs you right from the beginning and holds you to the end.

A reread for me - Charlie read it for a school project and I decided to join him. (He loved it, too!) ( )
  electrascaife | May 20, 2021 |
This book is about a 7th grader, Josh Bell who is 12 years old in this story, and how he has to overcome obstacles and balance his love for basketball with school as well as family. I feel like this book not only provides a good story, but is relatable to young adolescents, and is just an overall good read. You see some deep concepts in this narrative such as love and loss, as well as witness Josh's passion to reach his goal. I enjoyed this book a lot and give it a five out of five stars. Check it out and read it for yourself. ( )
  RoaneRayL | Apr 29, 2021 |

Kwame Alexanderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Allen, CoreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At the top of the key, I'm / MOVING & GROOVING, / POPing and ROCKING - / Why you BUMPING? / Why you LOCKING? / Man, take this THUMPING. / Be careful though, / 'cause now I'm CRUNKing / CrissCROSSING / FLOSSING / flipping / and my dipping will leave you
Quote - "Rule #1. -family is court; ball is heart; always leave heart on court."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,617,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible