Description & Setting: Techniques and…

by Ron Rozelle

Member:bennettsmama
Title:Description & Setting: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Believable World of People, Places, and Events (Write Great Fiction)
Authors:Ron Rozelle
Info:Writer's Digest Books (2005), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:reference, writing

Description & Setting: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Believable World of People, Places, and Events (Write Great Fiction) by Ron Rozelle

This was actually better than I expected. I have a tendency to go through life oblivious to details (or anything else much, either) and it helped me pay better attention to my surroundings and experiencing things with all five (or six) senses. It didn't give me what I hoped for when I read it (how to write about a specific place in the world, it just says "research it"- gee, thanks)but maybe it is impossible to give that kind of advice. But it did give me a lot more of what I didn't expect, and I've realized even more how this is truly the thing that can take a book from just ok to something above and beyond the rest, if you can do it well. So if you write fiction, or want to, I would recommend this book. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I have both this version and also the older Elements of Fiction writing book on 'Setting' by Bickham. Both were excellent, but I found the older version to be slightly more helpful in fleshing out the setting-as-a-character in my epic fantasy work. This is the newer of the two and it relies more on internet-research. When it comes to setting, there is nothing like being there and speaking to people who have been there to get a 'feel' for a place, I have discovered. But once again, both books were excellent. For me, I preferred the older version. ( )
  Anna_Erishkigal | Jun 28, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158297327X, Paperback)

Build a Believable World

How essential is setting to a story? How much description is too much? In what ways do details and setting tie into plot and character development? How can you use setting and description to add depth to your story?

You can find all the answers you need in Write Great Fiction: Description & Setting by author and instructor Ron Rozelle. This nuts-and-bolts guide - complete with practical exercises at the end of each chapter - gives you all the tips and techniques you need to: Establish a realistic sense of time and place Use description and setting to drive your story Craft effective description and setting for different genres Skillfully master showing vs. telling With dozens of excerpts from some of today's most popular writers, Write Great Fiction: Description & Setting gives you all the information you need to create a sharp and believable world of people, places, events, and actions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:43 -0400)

"With dozens of excerpts from some of today's most popular writers, Write Great Fiction: Description & Setting gives you all the information you need to create a sharp and believable world of people, places, events, and actions."--BOOK JACKET.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible