The Girl with the Windup Heart (The…

The Girl with the Windup Heart (The Steampunk Chronicles) (edition 2014)

by Kady Cross (Author)

1519139,627 (3.68)7
In 1897, part-automaton Mila seeks an independent life in London's West End while Finley Jane plunges headlong into the Aether, hoping to outmaneuver the Machinist who has taken Griffin King captive.
Member:JeanetteReames
Title:The Girl with the Windup Heart (The Steampunk Chronicles)
Authors:Kady Cross (Author)
Info:Harlequin Teen (2014), Edition: Original, 400 pages

The Girl with the Windup Heart by Kady Cross

Mary and Joseph, what was that mess? I read up until Chapter 8 and then had to skip all the way to the end. I am so disappointed and sad and frustrated.

I love Jack (have love him since book 1) but all his drama with Mila only made me feel disconnected with what was happening to the others; I am sorry Jack but I did not give a damn to it.

Boy, I love this series, but this book was such a disappoint *sigh*
  hinfatuation | Dec 4, 2019 |
2.5/5 stars. I've been a fan of this series since the very first Finley Jayne book was released and I'm sad to see them come to an end. That being said, this book felt very much like an ending, as if the author was tidily wrapping up all plotlines and pairing off all people. That made both plots taking place in this book feel rushed.

Mila and Jack's love story was well-suited for a subplot (or novelette) but since it had to be completed before the major plotline was finished it felt as if all the conflict was manufactured. (Also, Mila did not want to leave, Jack did not want her to leave, one good conversation could have taken care of that. Though I do think Mila's adventures at the circus were awesome.)

The main plot of The Machinist capturing and trying to kill Griffin King felt as if it was crammed in around the Mila/Jack story, then once the stage clear it felt as if the plot were rushing along to the ending. There were good--and important--things that happened in the aether that were over and done with in just a few scant pages, things that deserved more time, being drawn out as they were throughout the entire series.

Still, I like this family of friends, and I always enjoy reading about them.

(Provided by publisher) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Simply a perfect way to wrap up this phenomenal series! ( )
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
I think that this is going to be the last book Cross’ Steampunk series. She wraps up the major problems from the first three books. The plot is very fast in this one everything happens in three days, with some flash backs for Jack and Mila. But they are not the many focus of the story. It is really about finishing off The Machinist and Griffin stop being afraid of his power. Even through the plots is so fast I was bored for much of this book. I think that is because Cross is done with this series. She may want to write more with these characters at a later point in their lives but she is done with this part. Also I never had an doubt about Griffin making it out alive or that Jack and Mila would make up. Maybe I am just too old to be reading this series.

I give this book Three stars out of Five. ( )
  lrainey | May 10, 2016 |
This is a bang-up ending to this series. Part romance novel, in keeping with its publishers roots, and all steampunk, it brings action and romance in plenty to its readers and fans. The author managed to provide a satisfactory ending to the series and still leaves the door open for more installments and adventures for the group of extraordinary heroes should she choose to do so. That is no mean feat in the world of publishing today. It is also remarkable that the author's writing has shown some growth from the beginning to the end of this series. Make no mistake - this book, and this series, is not great literature, but they are great good fun to read. That is a good thing. An added bonus is the covers of the series, and the vivid descriptions of the clothing worn by the heroines in the stories. These should provide inspiration aplenty to Cosplay artists around the world. ( )
  benitastrnad | Sep 27, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,900,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible