Broken Dove

by Kristen Ashley

Series: Fantasyland (4)

Far too young, Apollo Ulfr lost Ilsa, his wife, the love of his life and the mother of his two children. The grief of her loss does not settle in his soul, it solders to it. But when he discovers there is a parallel universe where his wife may have a twin, he feels there's hope and sets about bringing her to his world so he can have her back.But Ilsa Ulfr of our world is married to the parallel universe's twin, Pol, who is not a good man. Not in any way. She's on the run from him and the last thing she wants is to be transported to a fantastical world and be forced to take his side as his wife, even if he is not Pol. And Apollo finds the broken Ilsa nothing like his beloved, and further, wants nothing to do with her.But darkness is looming and evil is amassing. Apollo must protect his land and keep his family safe, including the new Ilsa.… (more)

This is a typical KA book but parallel universe style.
This is my least favourite of this series.
Apollo for me challenges the most faithful die hard fans. He brings alternate Ilsa to his world where her version of Apollo is an abusive thug of a husband.
He is pinning for his dead wife, his version of Ilsa and he is surprised that as she looks identical that there are problems, for him and his children.
He does many things wrong, he does redeem himself but for me he is not very likeable.
It is strongly connected to the previous books in the series, although each couple have a book, the main enemy fight runs as a thread through the series and comes to a conclusion in this book.
My response is always Don t get me started on Apollo. ( )
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
Ilsa is on the run from her world's Pol until Apollo comes and whisks her to his world to take the place of his dead wife. He quickly realizes she's different than his dead wife and treats her badly until he gets over that Ilsa isn't the same person, she's better. Her Pol is an abusive drug lord. Single dad issues, evil witches to fight off. All the couples return and work together to defeat the evil witches.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
4.7 stars

Another great book in this series. This one had A LOT of information and things happening at once and that was confusing at times. However, I can see it needed to be that way in order to tie together all the loss ends and show how these four women from another world all tied the parallel universe.

I enjoyed the characters and their connection. This wasn't my favorite of the series but I did like seeing the future and seeing more of the babies. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the reversal of this series and seeing someone from that universe switch and come to my world. ( )
  MagicalRi | Apr 15, 2019 |
Ms Ashley has the rare talent of portraying her characters very vividly. This as well as her descriptions makes you feel as if you are there and a part of the story. Excellent, thank you Ms Ashley, you never disappoint! ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
Great continuation of the overall storyline that brings everyone together again. Love the struggle both mc's faced in moving on from painful pasts. But still learned from it as well.

I did notice a bit of editing issues in this one, which is unusual for KA. Ex. Apollo instead of Achille's, hopping when it should be hoping, and once sentence started like this: HAApollo. ( )
  TerriBowles | Jun 26, 2016 |

Ashley, KristenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hooper, TillieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,030,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible