To the Blight by Robert Jordan

To the Blight (2002)

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (Book 1b)

Recently added byLitaVore, Rena37, Martyne, Suttonsuds

The sequel of From the Two Rivers and part 2 of The Eye of the World, The Blight made for a spectacular beginning for the series. When I started this book, I didn't realize how attached I had become to the characters until one died and other came into greater danger.

The whole beginning of this series is about three young boys from a tiny farming land, The Two Rivers, that is extremely secluded from the rest of the world. These three boys are supposed to change the world - either one of them or all of them - for the better or worse. In this book, Ran al'Thor is finally born into the world of the Aes Sedai and the conflict of Light versus Shadow. At the end of this book, I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat and making so many faces that my friends thought I was actually entertaining. The ending was nothing like I expected and all that I wanted. I'm still reeling from this book and I love it SO much. I can't say too much without giving away wonderful details of the story but I can say that everyone should read it.

The story line of the book is so very interesting, even if it was a bit slow in the first book. The pace definitely quickens in this book and story takes you on a thrill ride. I also really loved all the different settings used in the story as it followed the paths of each boy (and girl). The towns, the people, the countryside -- all very imaginative.

Also, don't be swayed from it because it's an older series; that doesn't make it worse. In fact, if you're a fan of the Lord of the Rings, you'll LOVE this series. I am a LOTR fan and this book really satisfies my love for literature like it.

All in all, I'm just dying to get my hands on the next book! ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
The second half of the first book in the epic Wheel of Time series finds Han and his companions continuing to wend their way to Tar Valon to try and discover what about three of them interests the big baddie, Ba'alzamon so much.

Jordan continue to spread out a world rich in creatures and powers that attempt to eclipse even Tolkein's rich world. ( )
  mamzel | May 25, 2012 |
This book is a strong entry into the Wheel of Time series. It follows the adventures of three village boys as they are led on a path of high adventures and dangers by a magical female and her bodyguard. Two young women from their village end up tagging along and the whole group goes from one near disaster to the next. The plot at times seems very reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings series. Robert Jordan weaves a complex and fascinating world in his own right though. But be warned! Multiple characters come and go and the author gets bogged down in the endless small plot devices and characterizations that he creates. And he died. That is right. The author died without finishing the series. Somewhere around book 11 and a new writer was hired by the publishing house to finish it off. ( )
  queencersei | Apr 8, 2010 |
I only started reading this series because a guy I was dtaing enjoyed them so much. They were pretty good but the series just dragged on and never ended. By the 5th or 6th book I had lost interest. ( )
  mzzkitee | Oct 16, 2007 |
A fascinating introduction to a fantasy world with many complex layers and cultures. Darkness is gathering in this world, and while a cast of characters is introduced, the book leaves you wanting to know more about the fate of these characters and others. Many fantasy elements are involved here, a central character who all too soon has the weight of the whole world thrust on his shoulders, seemingly normal farmers and tradesmen who develop unusual talents and beautiful women, integral to any fantasy story. The villains are obvious at first, but layers of intrigue intwined in the story reveal that all is not what is seems in the the world of the Wheel of Time.
Reading others reviews of this book has opened up other remberances about the story. Yes, the women tend to think themselves much worthier than the men, but in a world that was almost destroyed due to the madness of men, this seems to fit. It is interesting the interplay and relationship between the sexes, which becomes more apparant in future books.
Future books develop the story more, though after book 5, a reader can get very bored and frustrated very very quickly. It picks up again at book nine though, so if you're hooked, keep plodding on.
I have read that Robert Jordan is trying very hard to finish while he fights a rather nasty medical condition. Lets hope he does, it would be good to get some completion to some of these stories!! ( )
2 vote KatieMatie | Sep 15, 2007 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinkkonen, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wizards of the West CoastIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is volume 2 of a 2-volume work that has been published previously as a single volume. It should not be combined with volume 1 (FROM THE TWO RIVERS) or with the single-volume version (THE EYE OF THE WORLD).

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,437,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible