A Lady at Willowgrove Hall (Whispers On The…

A Lady at Willowgrove Hall (Whispers On The Moors) (edition 2014)

by Sarah E. Ladd

Member:FHC
Title:A Lady at Willowgrove Hall (Whispers On The Moors)
Authors:Sarah E. Ladd
Info:Thomas Nelson (2014), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Historic, Mystery
Tags:historic fiction, historic romance, mystery

A Lady at Willowgrove Hall (Whispers On The Moors) by Sarah E. Ladd

A Lady at Willowgrove Hall concludes new author Sarah Ladd’s Whispers on the Moors series, Regency Romances set in a fictional county in the North of England. The last two I heard as audiobooks, so this was my first proper read. There is little real connection with the characters or events with the first two books in the series, which might seem daring for the last novel in a trilogy, or for fans wishing to ‘hear more’ of the characters from the last books, but it seemed to work well enough.

The story is based around Cecily Faire, a hurting young lady harbouring a secret that she fears could ruin her, securing a position as a companion to the elderly owner of Willowgrove Hall. When she arrives she discovers a face from her past, and Nathanial Stanton, the steward who harbours a secret of his own. The setting is common for Regency Era stories, and though the secrets of the main characters are known to the audience from the outset, their impact on the character’s lives and those around them works well as the central part of the plot.
Although ostensibly ‘Christian’ fiction, there is little real religious content, or at least less that the first book. However, there are important messages about forgiveness, honesty, and the destructive influence of bitterness and resentment on people’s lives. So it could be classified as clean romance with the Christian flavour, perhaps.

My only complaints were that the story did seem rather slow and lagging in places, and some inconsistency in the use of language. In some places, for instance, the characters used Americanisms that seemed rather out of place in an early nineteenth century British setting- but in other places the correct British idioms or terms were used. The Romance was sweet, though some passages were a little clichéd, but generally it’s a good, light read if you want a cosy, easy to follow, edifying story.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for review, I was not required to write a positive one and all opinions expressed are my own.
  Medievalgirl | Oct 4, 2016 |

We see the changes in both Cecily and Nathaniel. There are secret in both their past. Will this break or make their love stronger. Nathaniel has a secret past and deals with Willowgrove hall. Cecily has a secret past that deals with a man at Willowgrove hall and her family.

Lindz2012 | Feb 24, 2016 |
A Lady at Willowgrove Hall What a lovely story this. Sarah E. Ladd out did herself with this book. There are two other books to this series. I have not read them but I may find them to read. This story is sweet and loving but also a bit harsh.

We see the changes in both Cecily and Nathaniel. There are secret  in both their past. Will this break or make their love stronger. Nathaniel has a secret past and deals with Willowgrove hall. Cecily has a secret past that deals with a man at Willowgrove hall and her family.

Will their be a romance formed? What could their secret be? Cecily arrives at Willowgrove hall to do her job as a lady companion. Nathaniel is a steward at Willowgrove and feels trap in a life that his not his. What could be Nathaniel secret. Mrs. Trent seem to know more or has the truth about Andrew Morton and Nathaniel Stanton past. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Jan 21, 2016 |

Lindz2012 | Jan 19, 2016 |
I'm very picky with my Regency reads. I can very easily get bored and lose interest. Never does this happen when I'm reading one of Sarah Ladd's books, and A Lady at Willowgrove Hall was no exception! Nathaniel and Cecily had instant chemistry that grew tenderly and slowly with a simmering passion that did not disappoint. The supporting characters were a delight as well - my favorites being Mrs. Trent and Clarkson (in spite of their crustiness).

Sarah Ladd does a phenomenal job of creating an atmosphere without overdoing the detail. I felt like I was right there in the drawing room with them, or meandering around the estate, or seated in the parlor at Laurel Cottage with the Stanton sisters. And those awkward dinners with Andrew and his intended. I felt so tense for all of them! LOL.

Another beautifully written book. Perfect ending to the series & leaves me hungry for Curiosity Keeper :) ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
I lovingly dedicate this novel to
my grandmother, Colleen.

Thank you for inspiring--and sharing--my lifelong love of literature.
Blacksmith"s Cottage at Aradelle Park
Detham, England, 1814

Is it always a sin to tell a lie?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,459,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible