Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Bird Box (edition 2015)

by Josh Malerman

Series: Bird Box (1)

2,2032035,263 (3.87)157
Something is out there . . . Something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from. Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remain, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, Malorie has long dreamed of fleeing to a place where her family might be safe. But the journey ahead will be terrifying: twenty miles downriver in a rowboat'blindfolded'with nothing to rely on but Malorie's wits and the children's trained ears. One wrong choice and they will die. And something is following them. But is it man, animal, or monster' Engulfed in darkness, surrounded by sounds both familiar and frightening, Malorie embarks on a harrowing odyssey'a trip that takes her into an unseen world and back into the past, to the companions who once saved her. Under the guidance of the stalwart Tom, a motley group of strangers banded together against the unseen terror, creating order from the chaos. But when supplies ran low, they were forced to venture outside'and confront the ultimate question: in a world gone mad, who can really be trusted' Interweaving past and present, Josh Malerman's breathtaking debut is a horrific and gripping snapshot of a world unraveled that will have you racing to the final page.… (more)
Member:stephenlang
Title:Bird Box
Authors:Josh Malerman
Info:Harper Voyager (2015), Paperback, 480 pages

Bird Box by Josh Malerman

English (198)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (200)
I'm a bit conflicted about this book. There was a lot to like but some things about the author's style kept hanging me up. I can't put my finger on exactly what it was - besides the third person, present tense choice - that kept pulling me out of the story, but I was yanked out of it a lot. Oh, and the going back and forth in time. I didn't like that much either. But the intensity was very good in places and, really, that made it worthwhile.

The book is quite a bit different from the Netflix movie but I enjoyed them both. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
From the “Bird Box” page on Amazon (my editorial comment in brackets []): “Written with the narrative tension of The Road [NOPE] and the exquisite terror of classic Stephen King[NOPE], Bird Box is a propulsive, edge-of-your-seat horror thriller, set in an apocalyptic near-future world[NOPE]—a masterpiece of suspense from the brilliantly imaginative Josh Malerman[NOPE].“
Recommendation: Nope
1 vote Chipa | Apr 2, 2021 |
Wow. Craziness. And there is already a 2nd part?! I almost gave this a pass, as I just haven’t really been feeling the dystopian/sci-fi type novels. But I’m glad I ended up going for it. This was partly due to the reviews I’d read, along with how long the wait list was going to be if I had passed on it now.
The story flows nicely, flipping back-and-forth between the character’s present day and 4 years previous. There is definitely some money so that our crazy and scary if they were real, but I don’t think the story ever went too over the top. As a mother, I found Malorie’s actions real and justifiable. What a horrible situation to find yourself in, especially with 2 young children. I love how she taught the kids things that she felt they would need to know in the future, not what kids use to learn. I’m looking forward to the next book. ( )
1 vote purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
I would have given it 3.5 if I were able. ( )
  MarlaBurr | Mar 14, 2021 |
DNF - boring, one-dimensional characters, narrator stating the obvious, but worst of all the dialogue is pretty much never what an actual person would say in a given situation, ever. Even the potentially interesting premise was executed poorly, conveniently explained by various characters, yet still not making a whole lot of sense. ( )
  exhypothesi | Mar 7, 2021 |
Malerman overreaches a bit in his debut, which could use as much attention to the cast as to the mood, but the mood is chillingly effective.
added by zapzap | editA.V. Club, Tasha Robinson (May 14, 2014)

Josh Malermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guillot, SébastienÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mangold, KatharineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,000,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible