Bird Box: A Novel by Josh Malerman

Bird Box: A Novel (edition 2015)

by Josh Malerman (Author)

Member:Sharn
Title:Bird Box: A Novel
Authors:Josh Malerman (Author)
Info:Ecco (2015), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Bird Box by Josh Malerman

English (108)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (110)
What can I say about this book? It was a different genre for me and it held my attention, I needed to know what was out there.

I can't imagine having to live like these people, can't imagine doing what they had to do - I honestly don't think I could've done it.

This book is pure suspense. I love suspense.

I did have questions at the end of the book but I believe they are all natural questions evolving from the unnatural way of life that I can't comprehend. ( )
  Sharn | Aug 10, 2018 |
This is a great book. It put you in the verge and it makes you imagine something different each time. I really like the ending, was quite unexpected. Is a perfect reading for october... Rainy day when you are not sure what is out.... ( )
  CaroPi | Aug 9, 2018 |
This book completely freaked me out. It's not exactly scary but it's still horror! ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
Five years ago something started happening. People were seeing things. Things that caused them to go mad. Things that drove them to violence and suicide. No one knows what this thing is. No one has lived to tell the tale of what it looks like. No one knows where it came from.

Malorie and her two young children are amongst the survivors scattered across the world. They’re living in an abandoned house that holds many memories for Malorie. Memories of time spent with other survivors. Memories that have taught her how to stay alive. Now that the children are four, they need to move on. They can’t stay in this house. Malorie has a destination, but it’s going to require unbelievable feats to make it there. Malorie and her young children must make it to the river behind their home and travel twenty miles downriver in a row boat completely blindfolded. The children have never seen the world and Malorie has trained them to have exemplary hearing abilities, but will this be enough to get them safely to the destination?

BIRD BOX is an epic, terrifying, and suspense-filled horror thriller. Malerman expertly intertwines chapters of Malorie’s present day and the look back on her journey to get here. The pace of these chapters is quick and each one seems to end at the height of suspense, which naturally means you have to keep reading! The character of Malorie is at the center of this story and she is easily one of the most relatable characters I’ve recently read about. The dystopian, post-apocalyptic setting Malerman has created is one that I struggled so hard to envision myself as a part of, but with the help of Malorie, who is an ordinary woman, I was able to relate to the decisions she made, the fears she had, and the actions she ultimately ended up taking. I loved everything about this novel! At the end of the day, my only complaint is that I didn’t want this book to end. I’m thrilled that BIRD BOX is being adapted into a movie and while I wait I’ll be recommending this book to everyone! ( )
  jess_reads_books | Aug 3, 2018 |
''There are things out there that will hurt you.''

Even though thrillers aren’t among my favourite reads, this one had all the right ingredients. A mix of Dystopian Fiction with a healthy dose of Paranormal and two extremely interesting main characters. It was creepy and fascinating.

News of a series of completely abnormal action begin to reach the USA. In a contemporary world, violent deaths start from an area in Russia and escalate, spreading everywhere. What is it that makes these deaths horrifying? They take place without a reason. Everyday people, citizens of quiet towns, people like us start attacking others and kill them in terrifying ways. They attack family and friends. They know no boundaries and then they kill themselves. And the explanation can be found in a source that is even more terrifying than the deaths. Something they saw turned ordinary people into vicious murderers. What is it? Nobody knows. Are they creatures? Is it a virus? No matter the cause, the result is a world that is now empty, devoid of life and time. Everything we've ever known falls into darkness because to open your eyes means death.

''The world, the outdoors, is being shut down.''

The story itself is the main reason I enjoyed Bird Box so much. Malorie, the main charcater, is a young mother of two unnamed children. They're just called Boy and Girl. They only know the house they were born into as their world. In this house, Malorie found a refuge four years ago, along with a few people who wanted to survive, each one having gone through a terrible loss. I don't know what kind of environment could be more claustrophobic and nerve-wrecking. Is there anything more valuable than our sight? Imagine a world where we are forbidden to look outside, to look at a fellow human being, our own family...In this house, the characters toy with their lives. Each day, each passing moment. It is a fight for everything. To bring water into the house, to make sure every possible opening is covered. There is fear and there are questions that can't be answered. And I couldn't help but anticipate danger from every person we met. When would madness strike?Who could possibly have the weakest composure to jeopardize everyone's survival?

One of the things that prevent me from appreciating thrillers is the lack of developed characters and the cliché dialogue. This novel is different, in my opinion. Malorie is a really well-written character, one I could see as realistic and a leader, with her feet firmly on the ground. Her actions were fully justified. Everyone would have acted in the same way if we had been in her situation. I pray we never will....And Tom is a character I was interested in from his first appearance. Both the characters and the dialogue were really satisfying, in my opinion, and combined with the haunting prose they created an extremely memorable read.

I don't need to feel frightened in order to like a book. If the story is properly put together and the characters are interesting and as realistic as possible, I am satisfied. With Bird Box, I wasn't frightened per se but I felt anxious, nervous and, yes, there were a few moments when my blood froze a little. I found the concept creepy and the execution successful. You know there is danger out, in the open, but you don't know what it is. If you don't know what threatens you, how can you fight it? So, I don't think it can get scarier than that....

''And what scares you more? The creatures or yourself, as the memories of a million sights and colours come, flooding towards you? What scares you more?''

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com

AmaliaGavea | Jul 15, 2018 |
Malerman overreaches a bit in his debut, which could use as much attention to the cast as to the mood, but the mood is chillingly effective.
added by zapzap | editA.V. Club, Tasha Robinson (May 14, 2014)

Josh Malermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
De Vries, Eriksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guillot, SébastienÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kinzel, FredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Limited, HarperCollins PublishersPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mangold, KatharineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malorie stands in the kitchen, thinking.

Most people ignored the outrageous reports on the news. But they became too frequent, they became too real. And soon, they began happening down the street. Then the Internet died. The television and radio went silent. The phones stopped ringing. And we couldn't look outside anymore. Malorie raises the children the only way she can; indoors. The house is quiet. The doors are locked, the curtains are closed, mattresses are nailed over the windows. They are out there. She might let them in. The children sleep in the bedroom across the hall. Soon she will have to wake them. Soon she will have to blindfold them. Today they must leave the house. Today they will risk everything.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse of it, and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from. Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remains, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, she has dreamed of fleeing to a place where they might be safe. Now that the boy and girl are four, it's time to go, but the journey ahead will be terrifying: twenty miles downriver in a rowboat -- blindfolded -- with nothing to rely on but her wits and the children's trained ears. One wrong choice and they will die. Something is following them all the while, but is it man, animal, or monster?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,158,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible