The end of Eddy : a novel by Édouard…

The end of Eddy : a novel (original 2014; edition 2017)

by Édouard Louis, Michael Lucey (Translator.)

Member:librorumamans
Title:The end of Eddy : a novel
Authors:Édouard Louis
Other authors:Michael Lucey (Translator.)
Info:New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2017.
Tags:2019

The End of Eddy by Édouard Louis (2014)

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson (librorumamans)
    librorumamans: Also autobiographical fiction about growing up gay in a hostile, lower-class environment.

English (9)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
simply and elegantly written (and well translated!!) ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
I felt completely captivated by this book while I was reading it, but vaguely let down when it was finished. Partly because the ending is so anti-climactic that the novel feels unfinished; partly because the book doesn't offer any sense that the author--who is very young--has deeply reflected on these events in the book. The book certainly feels very autobiographical, and I couldn't help but feel that it might have been stronger if the author had given himself more time to process the events of his childhood and adolescence. ( )
1 vote GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Denne var fæl. Stygg nesten. Godt å få historier fra et område man kanskje trodde alt var perfekt. Jeg føler med Eddy og kommer til å lese neste bok også. ( )
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
This is a little book written as fiction but very autobiographical of the author’s life growing up poor, gay in France. It is also a coming of age and tells the awareness of his identifity, the effort to overcome his identity and then the coming to peace with that identity. I read this as part of the ToB but it got beat out by Dear Cyborg before I got to the end. It is a quick read.

I would disagree with the author on one or two points but then, this is the story of his perceptions so it doesn’t matter what I think. Eddy was brutally bullied by classmates. He makes a statement early on that people think of the humiliation when they see someone being abused and not the physical pain. I think about the pain. I hate violence and the reason I hate it, is because the pain is so real to me.

The author is a child of the nineties. I was surprised by the description of his poverty and working class childhood. It reminded me so much of my own experience which was in the fifties/sixties. I thought that there would have been some advancements just in general but apparently not in France. ( )
  Kristelh | Mar 22, 2018 |

Édouard Louisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Casassas, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, KikiCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the first time my name said out loud names nothing.
- Marguerite Duras, The Ravishing of Lol V. Stein
For Didier Eribon
Aan mijn kinderjaren bewaar ik geen enkele goede herinnering.

«En vérité, l'insurrection contre mes parents, contre la pauvreté, contre ma classe sociale, son racisme, sa violence, ses habitudes, n'a été que seconde. Car avant de m'insurger contre le monde de mon enfance, c'est le monde de mon enfance qui s'est insurgé contre moi. Je n'ai pas eu d'autre choix que de prendre la fuite. Ce livre est une tentative pour comprendre.»

"An autobiographical novel about growing up gay in a working-class town in Picardy. "Every morning in the bathroom I would repeat the same phrase to myself over and over again. Today I'm really gonna be a tough guy." Growing up in a poor village in northern France, all Eddy Bellegueule wanted was to be a man in the eyes of his family and neighbors. But from childhood, he was different -- "girlish," intellectually precocious, and attracted to other men. Already translated into twenty languages, The End of Eddy captures the violence and desperation of life in a French factory town. It is also a sensitive, universal portrait of boyhood and sexual awakening. Like Karl Ove Knausgaard or Edmund White, Edouard Louis writes from his own undisguised experience, but he writes with an openness and a compassionate intelligence that are all his own. The result -- a critical and popular triumph -- has made him the most celebrated French writer of his generation."-- "An autobiographical novel about growing up gay in a working-class town in Picardy"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,234,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible