Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor

Lagoon (2014)

by Nnedi Okorafor

In interesting take on alien arrival on earth. The aliens arrive in Lagos Nigeria. The tale is, at times, more like an African folk tale.

The audiobook is well produced using two readers, one who takes the role of the female protagonist. ( )
  dougcornelius | Jan 27, 2017 |
Nnedi Okorafor is one of my favorite authors and so I really, really wanted to love Lagoon, her recent novel. It features a strong women protagonist, Nigeria as the setting and a realistic rendering of that country's culture. But I found this book to be confusing and disjointed. Some of the many themes include urban angst, religion, LGBTQ issues, male-female relationships, mythology, political corruption, environmental issues, internet fraud and other stuff which are jumbled together without clear integration. There are many characters but many of their stories are scant and unresolved. There is no explanation of the aliens' background or purpose for coming to Earth. Most of the conversations between the Nigerians and the aliens are either mysterious or not described because the key characters can't remember what actually happened. There is also a dismaying amount of graphic violence which seems to be gratuitous. While the ending is inspirational there is little foundation established for the magical expectation that everything will work out just fine. This book feels like an edited version of a longer and more detailed work but critical chunks of the text were cut without much effort make sense of the remaining text. ( )
  Course8 | Nov 29, 2016 |
Maybe it's the West African setting and characters, for which I feel nostalgia though I never lived in Nigeria, but I found myself very happy reading this novel. Okorafor writes tellingly of Nigeria's problems and failings but is also hopeful for its future and compassionate toward her characters even while satirizing stereotypical ones. This is a creative first contact story that is unique even while Okorafor echoes Octavia Butler and Nancy Kress. She leaves room for at least a sequel, and I hope to read it soon. ( )
  nmele | Aug 23, 2016 |
A cool premise and some decent characterization but ultimately did not work for me. The story went in all sorts of directions and ended up somewhat incoherent. Characters come and go - some return while others are not heard from again. I feel like Okorafor almost wrote a strong novel but may have lost focus at a few critical junctures. For a short book there was a lot here to like. It just didn't fulfill the promise of the early chapters. ( )
  ScoLgo | Aug 10, 2016 |
While I can see how some folks might be turned off by how a rebuttal to the film "District 9" sort of sprawled out a bit considering the short length of the novel, I still enjoyed it and believe that it's a good introduction to Okorafor's work. ( )
  Shrike58 | Mar 10, 2016 |
To the diverse and dynamic people of Lagos, Nigeria--animals, plant, and spirit
She slices through the water, imagining herself a deadly beam of black light.

A star falls from the sky. A woman rises from the sea. The world will never be the same. 'There was no time to flee. No time to turn. No time to shriek. And there was no pain. It was like being thrown into the stars.' Three strangers, each isolated by his or her own problems: Adaora, the marine biologist; Anthony, the rapper famous throughout Africa; Agu, the troubled soldier. Wandering along Bar Beach in Lagos, Nigeria's legendary mega-city, they're more alone than they've ever been before. But when something like a meteorite plunges into the ocean and a tidal wave overcomes them, these three people will find themselves bound together in ways never imagined. Together with Ayodele, a visitor from beyond the stars, they must race through Lagos and against time itself in order to save the city, the world... and themselves.… (more)

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

32 wanted3 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,285,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible