HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor
Loading...

Lagoon (2014)

by Nnedi Okorafor

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
4802332,071 (3.68)29
  1. 01
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (amanda4242)
    amanda4242: Both feature cities thrown into chaos by the arrival of otherworldly visitors.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 29 mentions

Showing 1-5 of 22 (next | show all)
Leider gibt’s auch hier noch keine Deutsche Übersetzung, was ich extrem schade finde. Das Buch hat mich völlig hin- und weggerissen. Alieninvasion in Nigeria. Aber eine Invasion der anderen Art. Ayodele ist diejenige, die den ersten Kontakt aufnimmt. Sie trifft auf Adaora, Anthony und Agu, die alle 3 scheinbar zufällig am Strand von Lagos aufeinander treffen und dadurch miteinander verbunden werden. Okorafor platziert diese Geschichte inmitten der Kultur und des Lebens von Lagos. Mitten in die Probleme der nigerianischen Gesellschaft. Und als Leser wird man mit allem konfrontiert: Die Rolle von Mann und Frau; christlichen Extremismus; dem Islam; der Korruption; der LGTB-Bewegung; mit Drogen; mit Waffen; kurzum – mit einer Gesellschaft, die vielfältig ist und den meisten westlichen Lesern trotzdem fremd.

Mal wieder zeigt sich, wie ignorant man sein kann. Wie klein die Blase ist, in der das eigene Leben stattfindet. Ich weiß eigentlich nichts über Nigeria. Oder über die Menschen da. Als Leser weiß man deswegen fast gar nicht, wo man zwischen den Zeilen zuerst hinschauen soll, weil es einfach soviel zu sehen und zu erleben gibt.

Man erlebt mit, wie Adaora’s Ehe einer harten Prüfung unterliegt, weil ihr Mann von Eifersucht und christlich-religiösem Wahn getrieben gewalttätig wird. Wie sein geistiger Führer nichts anderes ist als einer jener Menschen, die aus dem Glauben anderer Kapital schlagen. Wie Agu und Anthony bereits in jungen Jahren mit Armut und Gewalt konfrontiert worden sind. Wie sie Kräfte entwickelt haben, die man als übernatürlich bezeichnen kann und die einen Bogen schlagen zu alten Traditionen und altem Glauben. Wie Jugendliche auf der Jagd nach dem leichten Geld einen wahnwitzigen Plan schmieden. Wie eine Gruppe der LGBT-Bewegung den Schritt aus dem Geheimem wagt und bitter dafür zahlen muss. Und wie Lagos in Chaos, Gewalt und Plünderei versinkt. Doch nicht nur die Außerirdischen sind hier auf der fantastischen Seite. Auch die alten Geister des Landes, der Welt, der Natur regen sich. Bis zum Schluss mag man das Buch gar nicht aus der Hand legen.

Fazit
ScienceFiction trifft Legende und das spannend, einfühlsam und mitreißend. Ein gigantisches Buch und absolut empfehlenswert für alle Leser des außergewöhnlichen Scifi. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
For those faithful to a particular genre, this novel helps a reader branch out. Unique in its approach to disaster and societal upheaval, this novel will help you consider invasion differently. Okorafor remains true to each character's background and flaws, and helps us better understand the creatures and spiritual connections we may all share. ( )
  Meghanista | Jan 22, 2019 |
Interesting, multi-POV tale of first contact. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
4.5 stars: This is the Nnedi Okorafor I've been reading to find. For whatever reason, the universe of Who Fears Death has not worked for me. I knew that Okorafor had writing and themes I cared about, but I didn't quite click with any of the characters. I know that might be a point (no saintly suffering WOC here!), but I wasn't feeling it.

Enter Lagoon. A first contact story with all of the prickly, realistic characters Okorafor loves to work with in a Lagos that feels utterly alive and weaves in all number of mythologies. And I was like, "yay! I knew there would be a Nnedi Okorafor book that I liked and not just respected!" because that's exactly it. I respected her work but was not liking it until now, which again, I think is more about me than the author, but I'm glad to like this. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
So let's get this out of the way: I loved this book. Reading the joyous thoughts of a giant swordfish made me cry.

As readers of SF/F I think we become used to series. We see stories as spread out over pages and time, expansive with plenty of room to breathe and unfurl. I think we forget what a single book can do but this book reminded me. The people Nnedi Okorafor created exist in this relatively slim volume but they are as real and enduring as any characters that span over triologies. You feel them; they crawl up into your brains and into your guts and heart and carve out spaces--you question them, you question yourself and you understand. Each character is so deftly woven, so carefully and precisely written you're sure you've known them for far longer than this book.

And beyond the characters, Okorafor's Lagos is a wonder. You feel the wet visceral love in every word: how love is possible for a city violent and dangerous and yet beautiful and hopeful and upsurging. The city is integral to this story and that's something, I think, fantasy and sci fi need more of: place. A sense of place, the place as a character, as a necessary character. Lagos, its gods and roads and people are absolutely 100% necessary to the existence of this novel and Okorafor has done this so well it's stunning.

Everything Okorafor builds in this book is important and connected but never contrived. It's messy but always controlled. It's bloody but always with purpose. I'm so happy to have experienced this book, to have experienced these characters and the raw, bleeding love that they feel for their city, for their country, for each other. ( )
  ElleGato | Sep 24, 2018 |
Showing 1-5 of 22 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Nnedi Okoraforprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kern, ClaudiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruth, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
To the diverse and dynamic people of Lagos, Nigeria--animals, plant, and spirit
First words
She slices through the water, imagining herself a deadly beam of black light.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

A star falls from the sky. A woman rises from the sea. The world will never be the same. 'There was no time to flee. No time to turn. No time to shriek. And there was no pain. It was like being thrown into the stars.' Three strangers, each isolated by his or her own problems: Adaora, the marine biologist; Anthony, the rapper famous throughout Africa; Agu, the troubled soldier. Wandering along Bar Beach in Lagos, Nigeria's legendary mega-city, they're more alone than they've ever been before. But when something like a meteorite plunges into the ocean and a tidal wave overcomes them, these three people will find themselves bound together in ways never imagined. Together with Ayodele, a visitor from beyond the stars, they must race through Lagos and against time itself in order to save the city, the world... and themselves.… (more)

» see all 2 descriptions

LibraryThing Author

Nnedi Okorafor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

profile page | author page

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.68)
0.5
1 1
1.5
2 11
2.5 5
3 15
3.5 7
4 42
4.5 11
5 12

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,130,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible