Euphoria (Deckle edge) by Lily King

Euphoria (Deckle edge) (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Lily King (Author)

"English anthropologist Andrew Banson has been alone in the field for several years, studying the Kiona river tribe in the Territory of New Guinea. Haunted by the memory of his brothers' deaths and increasingly frustrated and isolated by his research, Bankson is on the verge of suicide when a chance encounter with colleagues, the controversial Nell Stone and her wry and mercurial Australian husband, Fen, pulls him back from the brink. Nell and Fen have just fled the bloodthirsty Mumbanyo and, in spite of Nell's poor health, are hungry for a new discovery. When Bankson finds them a new tribe nearby, the artistic, female-dominated Tam, he ignites an intellectual and romantic firestorm between the three of them that burns out of anyone's control" --… (more)
Member:acappon
Title:Euphoria (Deckle edge)
Authors:Lily King (Author)
Info:Atlantic Monthly Press (2014), 256 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Euphoria by Lily King (2014)

The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara (sturlington, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Anthropologen
    Dreams of Rivers and Seas by Tim Parks (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another novel with Bateson as a main player.
    With a Daughter's Eye: A Memoir of Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson by Mary Catherine Bateson (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Wie die Tochter von Margaret Mead und Gregory Bateson es sah
    Blackberry Winter: My Earlier Years by Margaret Mead (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Autobiografie bzw. Memoiren der bekannten Anthropologin Margaret Mead
    Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: biografische Romane großer Forscher
    The Inner Circle by T. C. Boyle (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Empirische Forscher, Sexualität bzw. Bedeutung von Sexualität als wichtiges zu erforschendes Thema

English (136)  French (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (139)
"Always in her mind there had been the belief that somewhere on earth there was a better way to live, and that she would find it." ( )
  ninam0 | Jun 22, 2022 |
I love Lily King. And anthropology. The end. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
I have a haunting feeling I've read this before and it is possible since it came out in 2014, long enough ago that I might not remember detail. But the mood of this story - that would never be forgotten..

It's a thoughtful provocative book which raises intellectual issues about science, research - the discussion takes on a poignant relevance which wouldn't have been there if I read it in 2014 compared with this anti-science era we are living in in 2021.

Read by Simon Vance and Xe Sands. Both voices added immensely to my appreciation of this book.

The love story also raises provoking issues - who is right for that person? Fen and Andrew are poles apart literally - an Australian and an Englishman - in their personas - and their effect on Nell, who in a way needs both to be fulfilled - the brash and bold, and the thoughtful and vulnerable.

By the time I got to the end of this fascinating novel I knew that I'd read it before - it's hard to not remember that ending. ( )
  Okies | Dec 17, 2021 |
Compelling story loosely based on the life of Margaret Mead, but it is so much more- a discussion of objectivity in science, a love story, observation vs. self knowledge, possession. ( )
  PattyLee | Dec 14, 2021 |
On Guinea Nell and her husband Fen are studying indigenous people. They are now on their third group of people, the Tam, who welcome them and allow them to become part of the tribe. They were introduced by Andrew Bankston, another anthropologist who is studying another group there. Fen's mind is on a flute he saw with an earlier group he and Nell were studying. He leaves Nell to do most of the study. When he achieves what he wants, he puts all 3 in danger and they must leave. But can they? Will Fen leave without any artifacts?

I liked the story. I liked Nell and Bankston. I hated Fen. Fen was a user. Neii was a better anthropologist and his ego couldn't take it. He was mean, nasty, and abusive. When Bankston meets Nell he is smitten as she was with him. He is caring and gentle with her. He makes sure she is taken care of which she doesn't receive from Fen. Fen is jealous of Bankston but never changes his behavior. I hated the ending but I don't think there could have been any other ending. This was not a happy story.

I thought the narrators were good. They did all the voices. I could tell the difference between Bankston and Fen. I could also tell the difference between Nell and the natives. Very well done. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Aug 18, 2021 |

Lily Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sands, XeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quarrels over women are the keynote of the New Guinea primitive world. -- Margaret Mead
Experience, contrary to common belief, is mostly imagination. -- Ruth Benedict
For my mother, Wendy, with all my love
As they were leaving the Mumbanyo, someone threw something at them.
She felt sleep, the old heavy kind, the kind of her childhood, come for her.
Perhaps all suicides are happy in the end. Perhaps it is at that moment that one feels the real point of it all, which, after you get yourself born, is to die.
History hung suspended for months. I took solace in the not knowing.
Sometimes at night it seemed to me that my boat was not being pushed by the engine but that boat and engine both were being pulled by the river itself, the ripples of wake just a design, like a stage set moving along with us.
I can feel the relationships, the likes & dislikes in the room in a way I never could if I could speak. You didn't realize how language actually interferes with communication until you don't have it, how it gets in the way like an overdominant sense. You have to pay much more attention to everything else when you can't understand the words. Once comprehension comes, so much else falls away. You then rely on their words, and words aren't always the most reliable thing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,770,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible