[ Silent Kill Corris, Peter ( Author ) ] {…

[ Silent Kill Corris, Peter ( Author ) ] { Paperback } 2015 (2014)

by Peter Corris (Author)

When Cliff Hardy signs on as a bodyguard for charismatic populist Rory O'Hara, who is about to embark on a campaign of social and political renewal, it looks like a tricky job - O'Hara has enemies. A murder and a kidnapping cause the campaign to fall apart. Hired to investigate the murder, Hardy uncovers hidden agendas among O'Hara's staff as well as powerful political and commercial forces at work. His investigation takes him from the pubs and brothels of Sydney to the heart of power in Canberra and the outskirts of Darwin. There he teams up with a resourceful indigenous private detective and forms an uneasy alliance with the beautiful Penelope Marinos, formerly O'Hara's PA. A rogue intelligence agent becomes his target and Hardy stumbles upon a terrible secret that draws them into a violent - and disturbing - confrontation.… (more)
Member:DCarlin
Title:[ Silent Kill Corris, Peter ( Author ) ] { Paperback } 2015
Authors:Peter Corris (Author)
Info:Allen & Unwin Academic 2015
Collections:2016_Goal, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Australian author, crime investigation, Sydney, australia

Silent Kill (Cliff Hardy series) by Peter Corris (2014)

Silent kill is a typical Peter Coriss book/Cliff Hardy story. Private Investigator commences work on a case and it tends to spread into areas not wanted. I listened to the audio version of Silent Kill. For some reason there is a new narrator for this book. Very hard to adjust to after listening to the previous narrator...and narrator of book number 40. ( )
  DCarlin | Feb 29, 2016 |
Peter Corris' latest episode in the Cliff Hardy series SILENT KILL shows clearly he hasn't lost his touch. He certainly is in the ranks of excellent writers of crime fiction internationally as well as on the Australian stage. As the blurb says, he is "the godfather of Australian crime fiction."

In Rory O'Hara's quest to launch a new Australian political party, Australian readers will recognise references to Clive Palmer's recent, and more successful, bid for Parliament. But someone doesn't want Rory O'Hara to succeed, and after he is injured when he is run down in the street, Cliff Hardy is employed by a backer to join the campaign and seemingly to protect Rory. Then things get really serious, and not even Cliff Hardy can prevent a murder.

So, a few thousand kilometers later, Cliff Hardy closes in on his quarry. The original financial backer of Rory's tour has dropped out, but new money from a surprising source has employed Cliff to track down a killer. And it seems Cliff is not the only one on the trail. He will probably be doing someone else a favour.

I haven't read all the Cliff Hardy series, but I am sure fans will be glad to see that Peter Corris is still hard at work. ( )
  smik | May 21, 2014 |
SILENT KILL is only the third of the 39 published Cliff Hardy novels I can recall reading so I’m by no means an expert on the series but after three books I can recognise some patterns.

Cliff Hardy, a Sydney-based private eye, will get involved in a case that appears simple but will turn out not to be. Check. Here Hardy is asked to play bodyguard to Rory O’Hara, a political celebrity about to start a tour that has an evangelical quality to its agenda. But the campaign comes to an end almost before it begins when one of the team is kidnapped then murdered. Later Hardy is hired by the victim’s family to investigate the murder and which ultimately leads him to the shadowy world of espionage.

Cliff will get beaten up or severely injured at least once, struggle not to drink too much and have what is probably an above average amount of sex for the average fifty-something single (ish) bloke. Check. Cliff’s sort of girlfriend disappears to the US at the beginning of SILENT KILL but it’s not long before Cliff is smitten by Rory O’Hara’s assistant. The not drinking too much and the violence inflicted upon him are of the run-of-the mill variety here.

The story will be peppered with lots of wry, bitingly accurate observations. Check. My favourite one for this book occurs when two of O’Hara’s team are discussing the campaign’s media strategy

‘…[I'm] working on TV. We’re competing with a few local stories’

‘Like what?’ Pen said

‘Drive-by shooting and a footballer’s groin injury…’

If I’d been drinking coffee at the exact moment of reading that passage I’d probably have had to replace the library’s copy of the book after spurting my drink all over the pages. Footballers’ groins are indeed treated as serious news in this country.

I’m too late to the game to be a die-hard fan of the Cliff Hardy novels and the stories do all tend to blur into one fairly quickly after reading them. But I do enjoy the reading of each one. I like the humour and the fact the length of each release hasn’t grown exponentially. I particularly like that even though he’s clearly following a formula Corris doesn’t ‘phone it in’. The cleverness and social commentary that people have remarked on from the earliest days of the series are still there, and though he might be a bit older and slower Cliff does not behave in outlandishly unlikely ways.

Speaking from experience you can start the Cliff Hardy series pretty much anywhere so SILENT KILL is as good a place as any. It’s refreshingly brief, excitingly plotted and has many moments of enjoyable humour.
  bsquaredinoz | Feb 22, 2014 |
After coming to love the regular January Cliff Hardy fix it was a happy day when SILENT KILL arrived. Reading blurbs though can sometimes be problematic and so it was with this one, and the reference to a "rogue intelligence agent". Recently that seems to have been code for "no idea how to get my protagonist into, and subsequently, out of the mess I want them in the middle of". Corris is, however, not your standard writer and whilst there is a bit of sneaking around going on, in the main, this is a good old fashioned bit of biff, doesn't get the girl, solves the problem, Cliff Hardy story.

Fans of this series are well aware of the requirement to park any pointless mathematics over Cliff's real-life age (it's fiction for goodness sake). We're also well aware of Cliff's tendency to fall for the wrong girl; or the right girl and then put her in the wrong situation. His speciality is, after all, a general ability to make life difficult for himself. No different in SILENT KILL when he takes a job offered without bothering to look behind the cash all that hard only to find himself deep in the middle of political machinations, weird abductions, somebody else's love life complications and a sinister overseas manipulator. So at this point we fans also have to park our reluctance to accept this rogue intelligence agent bit, to say nothing of authorities who hover and do odd things, hidden agendas so deep you'd need an excavator to get to the bottom of them, and various threat lines which lead to the ultimate confrontation.

Needless to say, we fans may have had to twig that the point of the Cliff Hardy novels is exactly the elements mentioned above. Even if he gets the girl, he'll screw it up. Even when he solves the case, it'll leave a slightly sour taste in his mouth. He'll withstand punishment that would make a less fictional character curl up in a corner and quietly pass out. He'll also be faithful to friends come hell or high water, he'll be fundamentally decent, caring towards those he loves, and just ever so slightly sad. Rumpled, alone, battered, bruised and somewhere in a pub in Sydney quietly drinking dry white wine and pretending not to rue that which could have been. Damn, forgot .. it's fiction..

http://www.austcrimefiction.org/review/review-silent-kill-peter-corris ( )
  austcrimefiction | Jan 15, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,336,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible