Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds

by Carmine Gallo

Public speaking coach and bestselling author Gallo has broken down hundreds of TED talks and interviewed the most popular TED (technology, entertainment, design) presenters as well as the top researchers in the fields of psychology, communications, and neuroscience to get their cutting-edge insights and to reveal the nine secrets of all successful TED presentations.… (more)
Recently added byjjpowell92, rludescher, Vendola, Arina8888, private library

English (13)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (14)
audio nonfiction (analyzing successful TED talks to arrive at recommendations for
probably better in print=more skimmable; as an audio it was excessively long, with each point being repeated so many times despite Gallo's recommendation that this presentation tactic is not as effective as keeping things short and to the point.
some points that I managed to pick up (in between completely zoning out). Note that these will help people in job interviews as well as career presentations and public speaking engagements.

* to make your topic interesting, stick to themes that you actually care about (i.e., that "make your heart sing"
* think of a presentation more as a conversation in which you are connecting with your audience. The pace of a conversational tone is actually a little faster than the pace at which an audiobook is read.
* sit/stand up straight (or even lean slightly forward as a friendly/interested salesperson). See Amy Cuddy's power pose for prepping before your presentation.
* connect by invoking emotion--as through a personal anecdote, funny story, or shocking statement. Keep in mind that serious topics may benefit from a thoughtful injection of humor.
* practice a LOT. in front of friends, strangers, in front of a camera--put in the thousands of hours until you've reached proficiency and polish.
* keep it short (18-20 minutes) and focus on three things you want the audience to remember.
* adding carefully selected images to your slide deck (and limiting text - try 40 words for first 10 slides) can help people remember. Stick to one theme/one statistic/one message per slide; don't just stack bullet-points together as per the old style. (also consider props or multimedia to help illustrate your point) ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Presenting has always been something I've struggled with. If I'm well prepared and know my stuff, then I'm not at all scared - but when I don't invest the time it shows. Talk like Ted dives deeper into the core of the presentation - focusing on adding pathos, logos and ethos to your talks. I like the idea of sharing memorable experiences and novel statistics as a way to stand out as well. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
The tips in this book are solid. I used some of them as a teacher and trainer. I will use this book as a study book when preparing for future talks until I know the tips by heart.

The next things I will take on is
* telling stories
* limit the talks to 18 minutes
* use images instead of text ( )
  paven | Jan 26, 2021 |
This book has inspired me to rethink the structure of my potential job talks for academic job interviews and my informational lectures to my students. It's an engaging, practical book. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
This clear, simple book could be boiled down into a handful of guidelines and fill two sides of a page, but it is expanded with anecdote, repetition (each main point is repeated at the beginning and end of each chapter), text boxes, and descriptions of how popular TED speakers implement the main ideas. It's brisk and chatty. One chapter has one of my favorite opening lines: "Aimee Mullins has 12 pairs of legs," but as with the rest of the book, the next couple of pages doesn't quite deliver on the opening.

His advice, in concise form: Be passionate about your topic. Tell stories. Speak as if you are having a conversation. Provide new information. Provide your audience with surprise - at least one emotionally charged moment or experience. Use humor (not jokes). Stick to eighteen minutes, because otherwise your audience will have cognitive overload. Don't talk too fast or too slowly (190 words per minute is about right) (And use the Rule of Three for the same reason). Provide multisensory input for memorability. Don't put too much text, if any, on your slides (human beings can't multitask well), but use powerful pictures and data graphics. Be real.

He provides citations for many of his main points, but when I looked at his references, more often than not they were newspaper articles, TED talks, novelties, or mass market books.

All that said, it would be a good text for teaching my students how to be good public speakers, or more specifically how to give a good TED talk. ( )
  dmturner | Jun 29, 2020 |

也許你有很棒的構想,但若不能讓人記得你說過什麼,一切都白搭!
學會TED等級的溝通與表達,你和你的構想將贏得更多機會!

你也許不一定能站上TED講台,卻不時要推銷自己。
本書將帶你營造屬於自己的「TED時刻」!

平均每分鐘就有長度達2天的影帶上傳到網路,
在這樣的世界裡,只有真正獨特、出乎意料的才會引人注目!
  ──YouTube趨勢經理人凱文‧艾羅卡

因為知道引人注目有多重要,溝通大師卡曼‧蓋洛分析超過500場TED演講,並直接訪談多位成功的TED講者,他發現,最受歡迎的演講具備9個共同的要素。他透過豐富的事例,不但讓你學到演說技巧,更能發揮TED精神,讓每一次客戶簡報和工作提案、每一場產品發表會,甚至每一回的面試,都撼動人們的情感與理智,得到對方的信任與肯定!

★發現鐵達尼號的深海探險家巴拉德,如何在18分鐘內讓人們重新認識海洋?

★美國前國務卿鮑威爾如何自然的運用手勢,在對話中展現高度領袖自信?
POINT!想像你的「勢力圈」,也就是從眼睛上方到雙手大張,再到肚臍的一個圓圈。將你的手勢(以及眼神)控制在這個區域裡,會給聽眾你是個領導者的信心。

★羅賓森爵士如何幽默的談教育,使他的談話成為迄今最受歡迎的TED演說,勝過許多名人?
POINT!關鍵的第一步聽起來可能違反我們的直覺──別企圖表現得很幽默!帶有幽默感的敏銳觀察,才是最恰當,也最有效的。

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,322,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible