Lead (A Stage Dive Novel) by Kylie Scott

Lead (A Stage Dive Novel) (edition 2014)

by Kylie Scott (Author)

Series: Stage Dive (3), Rockstars (3)

"As the lead singer of Stage Dive, Jimmy is used to getting whatever he wants, whenever he wants it, whether it's booze, drugs, or women. However, when a PR disaster serves as a wake-up call about his life and lands him in rehab, he finds himself with Lena, a new assistant to keep him out of trouble"--… (more)
Member:Chazzarang
Title:Lead (A Stage Dive Novel)
Authors:Kylie Scott (Author)
Info:Griffin (2014), 318 pages

Lead by Kylie Scott

Super narrator. She draws you into the story and makes both characters voices believable. ( )
  sdbookhound | Jul 28, 2020 |
Ugh, I have a problem. That problem is Kylie Scott making me stay up all night to finish Lead.

In the prior books, I was almost dreading Jimmy's book, he's presented (at least from my memory) to be a self-indulgent asshat with no redeeming qualities. To be sure, he behaves this way even toward his brother. Indeed, he didn't start off much better in this book, with the obnoxious Mal (yes, yes, super unpopular opinion. I do not find Mal adorable or charming. He's annoying and sophomoric.) seeking her out as a sobriety companion for Jimmy based on her behavior toward her former employer moments before she's fired.

I could not stop reading this book. I said in my updates, I have an oddly soft spot for stories of addicts in recovery, and with this told from the heroine's POV exclusively I was concerned it would come off all wrong. Luckily, Lena was exactly the right balance. She wasn't invulnerable, and she was sensitive and empathetic but not ridiculous. She held Jimmy accountable, let him know when she was hurt (both as a friend and employee) and called him on his shit. He did start out a bit of a jerk-or maybe he even stayed one, and Lena was not immune...but it felt real to me.

I'm not into reading about codependent recovery (though I think that's obviously a scale not a binary thing) or man-babies that don't have reasons behind their issues. I felt that this book avoided all those things marvelously. Was Jimmy a jerk, well, yes. What was clever about how Scott created this relationship is that through empathy and understanding and a good dose of accountability, Lena outsmarted him.
She outsmarted him so good.

In fact, during the love declaration, he did not say he loved her, he described, in wonderful detail all his feels and she looked at him like he was an idiot (at least in my head) and said, "You weirdo, that is love." I might be paraphrasing here.

To sum, yes I loved David and his sensitivity in [b:Lick|17983690|Lick (Stage Dive, #1)|Kylie Scott|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1421855031s/17983690.jpg|25216800]. I liked the prior book ok too (Mal's) [b:Play|19095025|Play (Stage Dive, #2)|Kylie Scott|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1393202794s/19095025.jpg|25758268], and maybe this exceeded previously lowered expectations-especially considering this seems to be seen as weaker than the previous books by other readers. I wonder if this left me feeling far more favorable than I would have otherwise, but I thought this book was superbly done. Perhaps it just suited my style perfectly--After all, I'm pretty in love with both characters. Fair warning: very possible you will not enjoy this the way I did because I can see where it would be detested too....but I'll just sit here happily with book hangover. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Kylie Scott’s Stage Dive series, is, hands down, my favorite rocker series EVER! It just improves with each novel and the third installment, Lead, completely blew me away. It is an absolutely hilarious and achingly heart wrenching romance and I LOVED every single word of it.

Jimmy Ferris is the resident bad boy of Stage Dive and he has the addictions and out of control behavior to prove it. Having successfully completed another stint in rehab, Jimmy is on his last chance with his fellow band members so when he is in desperate need of yet another sober companion/personal assistant, they decide Lena Morrissey is just the woman for the job. Having recently sworn off men since her luck in the love department is abysmal, Lena pretty much gives up her personal life to keep Jimmy out of trouble, but her unexpected attraction to the sexy rocker puts their professional relationship in jeopardy.

Lena is my absolute favorite female character in the Stage Dive series. She is funny, saucy, sassy and she won’t take any crap off anyone. Not even Jimmy. No matter what he throws her way, she sets him straight and tells him like it is, or more importantly, she tells him how it is going to be. Lena’s inner dialogue is full of self-deprecating humor that is laugh out loud funny but it is also very poignant as she realizes that her feelings for Jimmy go beyond attraction. She tries to protect herself from getting hurt, but resisting Jimmy is virtually impossible.

Jimmy is closed off, brooding and so unbelievably vulnerable that it takes your breath away. He is arrogant and demanding, but with Lena pushing him, Jimmy’s rougher edges begin to smooth over. Jimmy reveals little about his demons, but with an incredible amount of patience and understanding, Lena gets him to open up about his dysfunctional past. Jimmy is slow to recognize what he feels for Lena and relationships are so far out of his comfort zone, he is at a loss at what comes next for him and Lena.

The relationship between Lena and Jimmy is slow growing and they form a somewhat uneasy friendship that Jimmy counts on to keep him on an even keel. He does not do well with change, so when Lena admits her growing attraction to him, Jimmy does everything in his power to help her get over him. Hilarity ensues but so does jealousy when Jimmy encourages Lena to get a personal life.

At this point in the story, there is an amazing amount of sexual tension between them, but Jimmy and Lena stubbornly refuse to give in to their desire. When they finally do act on their passion, their sex scenes are explosive, incendiary and scorching hot. Jimmy is no slouch when it comes to sexually satisfying Lena, but there is still room for improvement in his emotional education and just when their relationship should be turning a corner, they find themselves at another impasse.

Lead is incredibly emotional, laugh out loud funny and almost unbearably poignant at times. The characters are vibrantly developed, easy to relate to, and even when behaving badly (cough, Jimmy, cough), it is impossible not to like them. The plot is refreshing unique and watching Jimmy’s transformation from an emotionally distant and troubled rock star into a loving man willing to risk his heart is wildly entertaining and immensely gratifying. Kylie Scott continues to amaze me with this phenomenal series and I can hardly wait to read the next Stage Dive romance where it is finally Ben’s turn to find his happily ever after. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
“Even with the head start, he was gaining fast. Given he liked jogging and I liked pie, this was to be expected.”

The first two books made me really dislike Jimmy, so I was excited to see how he would be portrayed in Lead.

I don't know if I liked it more than Play, but it was another delicious read! I love how all of their stories are intertwined, so we still see familiar characters from the previous books. There's also no confusion, and Scott sets up their stories beautifully. I already have an idea what the last one will be about!

Lena was an awesome female character, and I love that she admitted to having feelings for Jimmy in the beginning. Both she and Jimmy were aware of her feelings, but they tried to make them go away instead of acting on them. It was sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. It was also an interesting spin for their story, and very different from the previous two books.

You learn a lot about Jimmy's childhood and the many obstacles he's had to overcome. Not all of his problems went away just because he became famous. If anything, they only made some of them worse. He's learning to deal with his addictions, and Lena plays a large role in that.

I am absolutely in love with this series and cannot wait to read the final book!

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on December 14, 2017
  doyoudogear | Oct 10, 2019 |
I love this author's sense of humor in her writing skills

Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |

Kylie Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arndt, AndiReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, MacmillanPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichardt, KatrinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,804,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible