Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour

Everything Leads to You (edition 2015)

by Nina LaCour (Author)

While working as a film production designer in Los Angeles, Emi finds a mysterious letter from a silver screen legend which leads Emi to Ava who is about to expand Emi's understanding of family, acceptance, and true romance.
Member:Kirtstella
Title:Everything Leads to You
Authors:Nina LaCour (Author)
Info:Speak (2015), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Work Information

Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour

This one just missed the mark for me.

You can see my full thoughts at www.coffeeandtrainspotting.wordpress.com.
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
This review was originally posted on Once Upon a Chapter

I'm pretty sure I picked up Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour based on a BookTube wrap up. I had never paid much attention to the author or her books but I saw a video and this title really sounded like it would be a good one. Thankfully I was able to get both the audio and the ebook from the library. I mostly listened to this read.

Everything Leads to You was really enjoyable. Emi was going through some stuff but she wasn't overly obsessed with it. She had feelings about what was happening but didn't spend entire pages hashing it out over and over. I've seen too much page time taken over by digging deep to see how the main character really truly felt and all the ramifications of that. LaCour lets Emi have her emotions but we aren't bogged down by them and neither is she.

I also really loved that Emi discovered her own self worth throughout Everything Leads to You. She starts out questioning a lot of the choices she makes and seems to really lack confidence on her own. Slowly that develops and Emi ends up being pretty proud of herself and the things she has accomplished.

The back drop of behind the scenes Hollywood was a pretty great setting. I loved the mystery that was Clive Jones and Ava. I also thought LaCour did a great job of subtly reminding us that just because we know ABOUT people, doesn't mean that we know THEM; we just know facts about them and parts of them. Fairly early on we're also reminded that when you are talking about someone's life that is a LIFE; not just fodder for gossip. I know that sounds like a dumb and rather obvious lesson but it is one that I need a frequent reminder of.

Narration was on point and highly enjoyable. ( )
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
This review was originally posted on Once Upon a Chapter

Narration was on point and highly enjoyable. ( )
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
My heart! ( )
  thereserose5 | Mar 3, 2021 |
teen lesbians in LA!! well adjusted teens and fucked up but dealing badly teens and fucked up but dealing well teens!! great parents and shitty parents!! FRIENDSHIP!! this book was cute as shit and I loved the fuck out of it, but it lost an entire star for me by engaging my least fav trope of all time: a biracial girl who is so lightskinned, people are shocked to learn she's related at ALL, let alone COMPLETELY, to her much darker brother. I recognize this as a thing that happens in the world all the time, but every time I read it in YA fiction it's always a lightskinned girl who's remarkably nonplussed about it, and it's a little grating? at least in this book, a young black dude is like, sweetie, you're nice and everything, but you don't know a damn thing about a damn thing, so just stop pretending. refreshing! also, a 21-22 yr old dude who tells an 18 yr old lady that he'd love to hang out with her some time, he's just been waiting for her to graduate from high school!!!! granted, he's the best character in the book and super not creepy, BUT THAT IS A CREEPY THING, GODDAMN. DON'T DO THAT.

anyway, I'M SO GLAD THE GREEN SOFA WAS A THING, now I need an unlimited budget and to go shop for days. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
To Kristyn and Juliet, loves of my life
Five texts are waiting for me when I get out of my English final.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,417,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible