Perfidia by James Ellroy

Authors:James Ellroy (Author)
Info:William Heinemann (2014), Edition: First Edition, 720 pages
Tags:fiction, 2nd LA Quartet, historical fiction

Perfidia by James Ellroy

English (15)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (20)
The amazing James Ellroy is back with a new L.A. Quartet. "Perfidia" was hard core, gritty, and on point. It's set in L.A. in December of 1941. A few hours before Pearl Harbor, a Japanese family is murdered. LAPD wants the case wrapped up and wrapped up quick, they don't care is the real killer is brought to justice, so long as someone is so they can get back to business as usual. Many of his characters from other books make appearances, like Dudley Smith, Kay Lake, Claire DeHaven, and Bucky Bleichert. The ending knocked me out, as his endings always do. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 9, 2018 |
DNF at 45 %!

A couple of years ago I studied theology and some books I read was good and some books were bloody awful and almost impossible to get through. But one had to. But this one I don't have to finish so now I'm throwing in the towel, saying adiós amigo...Hasta la vista baby!

Ps. I will read Black Dahlia someday, hopefully, that book will be better!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
James Ellroy's Los Angeles books (The 1st LA Quartet, the Underworld USA Trilogy and the 2nd LA Quartet of which Perfidia is the first volume) are a dystopian science fiction drama in reverse. Instead of the future, Ellroy paints a dystopian vision of society on the past. Specifically, the past of Los Angeles from the bombing of Pearl Harbour in December 1941 through to 1972, when Ellroy believes that all history ended with the Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy assassinations. Fictional characters are interwoven with real life events and people surrounding key points or milestones in Ellroy's slicing of the putrid underbelly of American life.

Perfidia is set in Los Angeles in December 1941 immediately before and after the bombing of Pearl Harbour and centres on the hysteria surrounding the motives of the large and long time settled Japanese community in California. In those early days of war all Japanese were seen as Fifth Column saboteurs.

As always, Ellroy serves up a vast array of characters in an intricate plot presented in a mix of 1st and 3rd person narratives and vicious rapid-fire jump cuts. Everyone is at the bottom of the barrel, morals wise - alcoholic, junkie, murderer, corrupt or just plain nasty - and that is the good guys.

Ellroy writes with a passion tied to a iron control of his story at a pace that is hard to kick. If you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you will like. ( )
  pierthinker | Oct 12, 2017 |
Apparently Dennis Lehane described Ellroy's style as "staccato bebop". That seems to me a good description of what the writer's style has evolved into by this book. I loved the first LA Quartet, found the next series of books hard going, and now don't think I will be delving further into the second LA Quqrtet. This book was really hard work. It blends "possible" fact with Ellroy's earlier characters and takes us back in time to Pearl Harbour and its immediate aftermath in LA. But the story is very difficult to follow, bathed as it is in alcohol, drugs and corruption. Very few of the characters evoke any empathy and I found the writing very difficult. ( )
  johnwbeha | Jul 6, 2017 |
DNF at 45 %!

Ps. I will read Black Dahlia someday, hopefully, that book will be better!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  | Feb 9, 2016 | edit |

James Ellroyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colitto, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Envy thou not the oppressor,
And choose none of his ways.
- Proverbs 3:31
TO LISA STAFFORD
The Jew Control Apparatus mandated this war - and now its ours, whether we want it or not.

Follows a post-Pearl Harbor murder of a Japanese family that entangles a brilliant Japanese-American forensic chemist, an adventurous woman, a future police chief and an arch villain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,062,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible