Perfidia by James Ellroy

Title:Perfidia
Authors:James Ellroy (Author)
Info:Vintage (2015), Edition: Reprint, 720 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:world war ii, crime, lapd, police, corruption, pearl harbor, japanese internment, historical fiction, mystery

Perfidia by James Ellroy

English (17)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (22)
DNF at 45 %!

A couple of years ago I studied theology and some books I read was good and some books were bloody awful and almost impossible to get through. But one had to. But this one I don't have to finish so now I'm throwing in the towel, saying adiós amigo...Hasta la vista baby!

Ps. I will read Black Dahlia someday, hopefully, that book will be better!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
I can't help see his Los Angeles based characters as an annoying pack of overly dramatic, self-involved, utterly tiring people who don't know when to STFU. Ellroy's LA denizens are social climbing monkeys picking nits from the hair of those they consider their betters. They cling to their facades even in the face of personal devastation. They love to name drop and then insult anyone who doesn't worship them.

I love the way Ellroy writes. It's timeless.

Perfidia lays bare the way that Americans with Japanese heritage were treated at the onset of World War II. He also gave it nuance, which I appreciated. War is a horrible thing that turns normal people into monsters and gives monsters a platform. The corruption and graft lays waste to the lie of that 'more innocent' time. America was never innocent. It was always a country with sins and Perfidia shows the arrogance in its bones.

Edit 6/16/2017: I just reread The Black Dahlia because I had so many questions after reading Perfidia. I'm upping the stars to five because I can now see what he was doing with this book. It's his apology tour. It is Ellroy trying to make amends with himself and for the treacherous way he treated the women who populated The Black Dahlia. He gives them agency in Perfidia. He gives them more of a voice and he gives them strength. He returns their innocence and he returns their sin. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
You can never replicate the breathtaking gutpunch of American Tabloid or The Black Dahlia which I read almost 20 years ago, but this is a fine start to Ellroy's latest (last?) quartet. Dudley Smith is front and centre banging Bette Davis, cracking heads and popping bennies. All backed up by the greatest wink in literature. So much fun, it'll be hard to go back to reading other books. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
The amazing James Ellroy is back with a new L.A. Quartet. "Perfidia" was hard core, gritty, and on point. It's set in L.A. in December of 1941. A few hours before Pearl Harbor, a Japanese family is murdered. LAPD wants the case wrapped up and wrapped up quick, they don't care is the real killer is brought to justice, so long as someone is so they can get back to business as usual. Many of his characters from other books make appearances, like Dudley Smith, Kay Lake, Claire DeHaven, and Bucky Bleichert. The ending knocked me out, as his endings always do. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 9, 2018 |
James Ellroy's Los Angeles books (The 1st LA Quartet, the Underworld USA Trilogy and the 2nd LA Quartet of which Perfidia is the first volume) are a dystopian science fiction drama in reverse. Instead of the future, Ellroy paints a dystopian vision of society on the past. Specifically, the past of Los Angeles from the bombing of Pearl Harbour in December 1941 through to 1972, when Ellroy believes that all history ended with the Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy assassinations. Fictional characters are interwoven with real life events and people surrounding key points or milestones in Ellroy's slicing of the putrid underbelly of American life.

Perfidia is set in Los Angeles in December 1941 immediately before and after the bombing of Pearl Harbour and centres on the hysteria surrounding the motives of the large and long time settled Japanese community in California. In those early days of war all Japanese were seen as Fifth Column saboteurs.

As always, Ellroy serves up a vast array of characters in an intricate plot presented in a mix of 1st and 3rd person narratives and vicious rapid-fire jump cuts. Everyone is at the bottom of the barrel, morals wise - alcoholic, junkie, murderer, corrupt or just plain nasty - and that is the good guys.

Ellroy writes with a passion tied to a iron control of his story at a pace that is hard to kick. If you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you will like. ( )
  pierthinker | Oct 12, 2017 |

James Ellroyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Colitto, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Envy thou not the oppressor,
And choose none of his ways.
- Proverbs 3:31
TO LISA STAFFORD
The Jew Control Apparatus mandated this war - and now its ours, whether we want it or not.

Follows a post-Pearl Harbor murder of a Japanese family that entangles a brilliant Japanese-American forensic chemist, an adventurous woman, a future police chief and an arch villain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,425,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible