Neverwhere: Author's Preferred Text by Neil…

Neverwhere: Author's Preferred Text (original 1996; edition 2016)

by Neil Gaiman (Author)

After he helps a stranger on a London sidewalk, Richard Mayhew discovers an alternate city beneath London, and must fight to survive if he is to return to the London he knew.
Member:mrsfinch
Title:Neverwhere: Author's Preferred Text
Authors:Neil Gaiman (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2016), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages

Neverwhere: The Author's Preferred Text by Neil Gaiman (Author) (1996)

English (75)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (77)
I don't know where to start with Neverwhere, which is a good thing. Neil Gaiman mentions how he wishes to evoke the same feelings of discovery as he had when discovering Alice in Wonderland and boy does he deliver.

I don't know where to start with Neverwhere because there is too much to talk about. Perhaps what I liked the most is how it's a glimpse into a much larger world than expected. There are details here and there, but they all point to a larger destination which is purposefully left unknown. We see a bit of London Below, enough to be marveled, amazed and intimidated by it, but not enough to say we "know" it.

Pick this up if you need a quick refresher on what it means to go down the rabbit hole. ( )
  andycyca | Aug 6, 2019 |
I couldn't do it. I got 1/4 of the way through and could NOT go further. I guess I may prefer Terry Pratchett's writing more than Gaiman's, and I suppose that is good to know. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Jul 1, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book. It is my favorite Neil Gaiman book so far. I loved the world of London Below, and the many varied peoples found down there. The world seems so horrible at first, but by the end of the book, we have seen both the good and the bad.

Richard Mayhew leads a fairly boring life. He stumbles upon a young woman who has been stabbed and in trying to help her, he is dragged into the world of London Below, and a quest of epic proportions. The villains, Croup and Vandemar, add both menace and comic relief to the story. They are truly sociopathic, but their charming manners make them so interesting.

I would love to see a sequel to this book. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
A friend recommended the book, and the truth is that the cover somewhat deterred me at first yet I have no idea why. It's a little hard for me to read books that don't attract my attention that much.
But after I started reading it, I drifted into a fascinating world that I think only Gaiman can describe.

One of the best books I have read, very magical, a little strange, amusing in some places. A book that describes a world which doesn't exist, a fantasy world, but it is so easy to connect with and to its colorful characters. ( )
  Ramonremires | Apr 16, 2019 |
Not bad, but definitely shows that Neil Gaiman's writing improved massively as he went along. An early effort that is still entertaining in parts, though I was not as intrigued with the story as I thought I might have been.

OK. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

I have never been to St. John's Wood. I dare not. I should be afraid of the innumerable night of fir trees, afraid to come upon a blood red cup and the beating of the wings of the Eagle.--The Napoleon of Notting Hill, G. K. Chesterton
If ever though gavest hosen or shoon
Then every night and all
Sit thou down and put them on
And Christ receive thy soul

This aye night, this aye night
Every night and all
Fire and fleet and candlelight
And Christ receive thy soul

If ever thou gavest meat or drink
Then every night and all
The fire shall never make thee shrink
And Christ receive thy soul

--The Lyke Wake Dirge (traditional)
For Lenny Henry, friend and colleague, who made it happen all the way; and Merrilee Heifetz, friend and agent, who makes everything IK.
The night before he went to London, Richard Mayhew was not enjoying himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,914,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible