The Fortune Hunter: A Novel by Daisy Goodwin

The Fortune Hunter: A Novel (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Daisy Goodwin (Author)

"Empress Elizabeth of Austria, known as "Sisi," is the Princess Diana of nineteenth-century Europe. Famously beautiful, as captured in a portrait with diamond stars in her hair, she is unfulfilled in her marriage to the older Emperor Franz Joseph. Sisi has spent years evading the stifling formality of royal life on her private train or yacht or, whenever she can, on the back of a horse. Captain Bay Middleton is dashing, young, and the finest horseman in England. He is also impoverished, with no hope of buying the horse needed to win the Grand National--until he meets Charlotte Baird. A clever, plainspoken heiress whose money gives her a choice among suitors, Charlotte falls in love with Bay, the first man to really notice her, for his vulnerability as well as his glamour. When Sisi joins the legendary hunt organized by Earl Spencer in England, Bay is asked to guide her on the treacherous course. Their shared passion for riding leads to an infatuation that threatens the growing bond between Bay and Charlotte, and all of their futures. This brilliant new novel by Daisy Goodwin is a lush, irresistible story of the public lives and private longings of grand historical figures"--… (more)
Member:MoniqueP
Title:The Fortune Hunter: A Novel
Authors:Daisy Goodwin (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2014), Edition: First U.S. Edition, 480 pages

Work Information

The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin (2014)

In a word, gah! ( )
  buleth | Jul 9, 2020 |
Charlotte Baird is a clever and intelligent young woman, much more interested in photography than finding a husband. Unfortunately, she is one of the richest women in England so many men are ready to pursue her. Her half brother, Fred introduces her to fellow officer, Captain Bay Middleton. He's handsome and dashing and Charlotte is soon swept off her feet. Naturally, all her friends and relatives warn her away from such an unsuitable match but she thinks he will make an ideal husband.

When the Empress of Austria, comes to England, expert horseman, Bay, is pressed into service to be her pilot at the Hunt. He reluctantly agrees but soon falls under the spell of “Sisi” who is quite skillful on a horse. She's just as impressed by Bay and soon their mutual attraction grows into a not so secret affair. He has strong feelings for Charlotte and knows that that's where his future lies.

When I started this book I knew the Empress of Austria was a real person, but I didn't know that Bay and Charlotte were as well. The author writes an interesting Afterword that gives the reader quite a bit of information, and made me want to read more about “Sisi”. I enjoy historical fiction based on real people and thought this was better than American Heiress, the only other book I've read by this author. It was frothy, predictable and just the right book to take to the pool.
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
This is the third book I've read by Daisy Goodwin and each one I have rated a star less than the one before. "The Fortune Hunter" never won me over. I found the plot very slow in places and there were too many descriptions about the fox hunts; the whole time I was hoping the poor, terrified animals would find a way to escape.

The characters were too self-centred and shallow for my liking. I especially loathed Bay Middleton who was nothing but a womaniser; first falling for Charlotte then turning his attention to Sisi. However, Bay loved his horse, Tipsy, far more than either of them. I was ready to shake Charlotte on more than one occasion. She was an intelligent woman but became a snivelling fool around Bay which annoyed the heck out of me.

Overall, a slow, disappointing read, and I don't think I'll be bothering with any more books by this author. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Apr 28, 2019 |
In the beginning, there were elements in this book that reminded me of Jane Austen. There was a young woman falling in love for the first time and hoping to marry. And there was a man that she loves that might actually be a poor choice for her. I thought, maybe she falls for him, realizes he's not the one for her and meets the real live of her life.

Charlotte is an heiress, she is single and falls for Bay who proposes shortly after they meet.
Bay has a notorious past, his most recent relationship was with a married woman.
Shortly after proposing to Charlotte, Bay starts working for the empress "Sisi". It doesn't take long before Bay and Sisi start a relationship.

Sisi was a real empress and I was not familiar with her before reading this book. The book is fiction but the characters were real people. In real life, it was rumored that Sisi and Bay had a relationship.

Ok, back to the book, why should we want Charlotte and Bay together? Immediately after proposing to Charlotte he began cheating on her.
I just couldn't bring myself to root for Bay and Charlotte to get back together.

The book description also makes it sound like Bay needs money to buy his horse but that never seemed to be part of the storyline.

On another note, there were a lot of typos in the book.

I appreciated the author's note at the end about the real people that inspired these characters. It shines light onto way certain stories resolved the way they did. And reading this book did make me look into a historical figure I hadn't heard of before.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Every time I go to Austria, I’m overwhelmed by the amount of Sisi memorabilia that’s on sale. The Empress Elizabeth isn’t as iconic a figure here in England and I really know very little about her, except that her life wasn’t a very happy one, so I hoped that this novel might give me a bit more insight into a compelling historical figure. Set in 1875, it focuses on the avid horsewoman’s visit to England for the hunting season, and her alleged romantic liaison with the dashing cavalry officer ‘Bay’ Middleton. Honestly, I can’t say I know massively more now than I did before, as this turned out to be a romantic novel with its credentials worn proudly on its sleeve – mainly interested in burning glances across ballrooms – but it made for a pleasant enough distraction...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2018/07/22/the-fortune-hunter-daisy-goodwin/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Nov 7, 2018 |

Empress Elizabeth of Austria, known as "Sisi," unhappy in her marriage to the older Emperor Franz Joseph, falls for the dashing and impoverished Captain Bay Middleton while on a hunt, but their bond threatens his chances of marriage to clever and wealthy heiress Charlotte Baird.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,462,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible