Outresable (Exofictions) by Hugh Howey

Outresable (Exofictions) (edition 2014)

by Hugh Howey (Auteur), Thierry Arson (Traduction), Hugh Howey (Avec la contribution de)

Series: Sand (Omnibus 1-5)

The incredible new novel and brand new world from the international bestselling author of the Wool trilogy. The old world is buried. A new one has been forged atop the shifting dunes. Here in this land of howling wind and infernal sand, four siblings find themselves scattered and lost. Palmer has never been the same since his father walked out twelve years ago. His elder sister, Vic, is trying to run away from the past; his younger brothers, Connor and Rob, are risking their lives to embrace it. His mother, left with nothing but anger, is just trying to forget. Palmer wants to prove his worth, not only to his family, but to himself. And in the barren, dune-covered landscape of his home, there is only one way to earn respect- sand-diving. Plunging deep below the desert floor in search of relics and scraps of the old world. He is about to embark on the most dangerous dive of his young life, aiming to become the first to discover the rumoured city below. Deep within the sand lies the key to bringing his family together - and tearing their world apart.… (more)
Member:zeybaker
Title:Outresable (Exofictions)
Authors:Hugh Howey (Auteur)
Other authors:Thierry Arson (Traduction), Hugh Howey (Avec la contribution de)
Info:Éditions Actes Sud (2019), 341 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:***
Tags:science-fiction, USA

Sand: Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey

As [b:Wool Omnibus|13453029|Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)|Hugh Howey|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1349614200s/13453029.jpg|18979356] this is a dystopian sci-fi story but from that point they diverge. This book is set in a sand world, where the environment is going to kill everyone. It's just a question of when. We follow a family of sand divers, people that can penetrate sand dunes with the help of special technology and their internal conflicts.

I liked the book, though I think Wool was more interesting. I would like there to be a continuation to that book and I was a little disappointed that this was not it. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
Good stuff. This book made me feel claustrophobic, a lot. I like the world. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
The setting was exceptionally satisfying, the conflict was not. Can't really put my finger on it, although I wasn't a huge fan of how much the mom being a prostitute kept being discussed. Just seemed like a shoehorned adult theme. The equivalent to having a movie star say exactly enough swear words to maintain a PG-13 rating while still titillating a bunch of ten year olds. ( )
  sarcher | May 31, 2020 |
This is my second time reading Hugh Howey. I started with Wool, which was just breathtaking. Sand is almost as good. I absolutely could not put this book down. It tells the story of a family and their struggles in a world covered with, well, sand. There are plenty of unexpected twists and wonderful characters, and it is an overall amazingly well-written story. Recommended for anyone who likes sci-fi, immersive fiction, or just darn good books. ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
Hugh Howey builds these worlds that fascinate me. This one, with the land covered by creeping desert, and people who make their living diving far beneath the sand to scavenge things from the old world, was no different. I'm basically in for anything Howey writes. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,690,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible