Initiation (Vampire Beach) by Alex Duval

Initiation (Vampire Beach) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Alex Duval

Member:ohioyalibrarian
Title:Initiation (Vampire Beach)
Authors:Alex Duval
Info:Simon Pulse (2006), Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:ya, Vampire Beach series #2, vampires, horror, high school, to read

Vampire Beach: Initiation by Alex Duval (2006)

Think old 90210 meets vampires and I think you may have the idea of this book. It is a good, light teen read. I liked it. ( )
  MzKitty | Sep 18, 2016 |
Very much for the teenager ( )
  joem0601 | Mar 5, 2016 |
Reviewed by K. Osborn Sullivan for TeensReadToo.com

In the second installment of the VAMPIRE BEACH series, Jason Freeman is still coming to grips with the fact that the popular kids at his new Malibu high school are all vampires. And why shouldn't the vamps be popular? They're beautiful and rich, and they throw the best parties. But Jason knows those parties are simply an excuse to drink blood from unwitting human guests. It's true that the humans aren't hurt, the vampires need blood to survive, and many of those vampires are Jason's friends, but still... Let's just say that Jason is feeling conflicted. Then when his best friend from the old neighborhood turns up unexpectedly and under mysterious circumstances, Jason's problems multiply.

As with the first VAMPIRE BEACH book, I love the premise. When I was in high school, I often wondered what it was that made the popular crowd so special. I could wear the same clothes they wore and sport the same hairstyle, but still something was missing. Maybe they were all secretly blood-sucking monsters. That would explain a lot.

But, again, just like the first book in this series, the execution of the great premise left me cold. For one thing, this book is too short. I wanted it to delve more deeply into the characters and their lives. So much could have been going on in this vampire-run town, and I was constantly disappointed that the author wasn't exploring those things. I was also bothered by the fact that there were some pretty improbable actions being taken by people in this story. For example, if you're hiding in a roomful of vampires and your cell phone goes off, wouldn't it be odd if the vamps still didn't notice you were there? The reactions and explanations sometimes felt contrived and highly unlikely, which detracted from the story.

In the plus column, this book seemed to have toned down the first book's uncomfortable attempts to use current teenage language. Or if it didn't tone them down, then I must have gotten used to them. Either way, it didn't grate on me the way it had in VAMPIRE BEACH: BLOODLUST. Also, this story was interesting and it had a few twists and turns that kept me turning the pages eagerly.

Overall, this is an intriguing book. I like the premise, the characters, and the story itself. Be warned, though, that this one is for older readers. Like BLOODLUST, it contains references to alcohol and drug use, as well as some sexual activity and a little swearing. As for this book's problems, my chief complaint is that it left me wanting much more. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
The second book in the Vampire Beach installment, this one was okay. It went against some of the more commonly held (and agreed upon) vampire characteristics, things like a heightened sense of smell or hearing, nope not characteristics here of these vampires. It also touches upon a family member that is a "made" vampire but doesn't fully explore the idea, maybe the next couple books will do that. ( )
  sunfi | Sep 5, 2009 |
Not as good as Bloodlust, but still very enjoyable to read. ( )
  GenesisAggelos | Aug 30, 2009 |

Jason Freeman is getting the hang of DeVere Heights. Then life from his past pays an unexpected visit in the form of his old friend Tyler.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,073,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible