Percy Jackson's Greek Gods (2014)

by Rick Riordan, John Rocco (Illustrator)

"A publisher in New York asked me to write down what I know about the Greek gods, and I was like, Can we do this anonymously? Because I don't need the Olympians mad at me again. But if it helps you to know your Greek gods, and survive an encounter with them if they ever show up in your face, then I guess writing all this down will be my good deed for the week. So begins Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, in which the son of Poseidon adds his own magic--and sarcastic asides--to the classics. He explains how the world was created, then gives readers his personal take on a who's who of ancients, from Apollo to Zeus. Percy does not hold back. "If you like horror shows, blood baths, lying, stealing, backstabbing, and cannibalism, then read on, because it definitely was a Golden Age for all that." Dramatic full-color illustrations throughout by Caldecott Honoree John Rocco make this volume--a must for home, library, and classroom shelves--as stunning as it is entertaining"--"Percy Jackson, a modern-day demigod, tells the origin stories of the gods of Olympus and provides an insider's point of view - with plenty of attitude - in this illustrated collection"--… (more)

English (40)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (42)
An informative and entertaining book about the Greek Gods, Riordan achieves his goal in telling the story of Greek mythology. ( )
  jonathanbrown23 | Nov 5, 2021 |
I love Rick Riordan's writing style and characterization. I have always enjoyed mythology and he does a great job of bring any and all mytholgy to life in a fresh and new way. I find the characters to be engaging and to feel really real. His characters feel fresh and diverse without feeling like he makes them diverse just to have diversity. He does not belabor the point of their diversity it just is a fact of who they are and yet anyone who reads his books can feel included in representation. I love how he weaves the mythology into modern times so you feel like you are learning something as you are being entertained. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Trigger Warnings: Mild inappropriate references (only if understood), mild violence, mild gore.

Wow that was the longest 300 pages I've read and enjoyed. Probably because this book is soooooo humongous.

This is a great retelling if the Greek Gods for a modern audience told in classic Rick Riorden style. It's a fun way to learn about them too. John Rocco did an amazing job with the illustrations. It made this book complete. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Two words: informative and funny. ( )
  AasthaGupta | Apr 14, 2021 |
This book was on my friend's 11-year-old's summer reading list and she was having a really hard time getting through it, so I offered to read it with her. First of all, I cannot believe this is required reading for that age group! Most of us know that the Greek myths are extremely messed-up with tons of rape and gory killing and gods cavorting and hey did I mention RAPE? Yeah, so, Riordan kind of glosses over the rapey parts of the myths and I'm not sure that makes it better. As a narrator, Percy acknowledges how extremely messed-up all of this is, and it must have been quite an effort for Riordan to present this material in a way that even approaches appropriateness, but that's not actually even possible. Once I informed my friend of this, she told her daughter she didn't have to finish the book and I believe she even went to the school about it. ( )
  EmScape | Mar 14, 2021 |

Riordan, RickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my father, Rick Riordan, Sr., who read me my first book of mythogy
--R. R.
To my heroes of illustrattion:  N. C. Wyeth, Maxfield Parrish, Arthur Rackham, and Frank Frazetta.
--J. R.
Introduction:
I hope I'm getting extra credit for this.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,573,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible