Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Rick Riordan (Author)

"A publisher in New York asked me to write down what I know about the Greek gods, and I was like, Can we do this anonymously? Because I don't need the Olympians mad at me again. But if it helps you to know your Greek gods, and survive an encounter with them if they ever show up in your face, then I guess writing all this down will be my good deed for the week. So begins Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, in which the son of Poseidon adds his own magic--and sarcastic asides--to the classics. He explains how the world was created, then gives readers his personal take on a who's who of ancients, from Apollo to Zeus. Percy does not hold back. "If you like horror shows, blood baths, lying, stealing, backstabbing, and cannibalism, then read on, because it definitely was a Golden Age for all that." Dramatic full-color illustrations throughout by Caldecott Honoree John Rocco make this volume--a must for home, library, and classroom shelves--as stunning as it is entertaining"--"Percy Jackson, a modern-day demigod, tells the origin stories of the gods of Olympus and provides an insider's point of view - with plenty of attitude - in this illustrated collection"--… (more)
Member:AelinG
Title:Percy Jackson's Greek Gods
Authors:Rick Riordan (Author)
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2014), Edition: Illustrated, 336 pages

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan (Author) (2014)

English (38)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (40)
Trigger Warnings: Mild inappropriate references (only if understood), mild violence, mild gore.

Wow that was the longest 300 pages I've read and enjoyed. Probably because this book is soooooo humongous.

This is a great retelling if the Greek Gods for a modern audience told in classic Rick Riorden style. It's a fun way to learn about them too. John Rocco did an amazing job with the illustrations. It made this book complete. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Two words: informative and funny. ( )
  AasthaGupta | Apr 14, 2021 |
This book was on my friend's 11-year-old's summer reading list and she was having a really hard time getting through it, so I offered to read it with her. First of all, I cannot believe this is required reading for that age group! Most of us know that the Greek myths are extremely messed-up with tons of rape and gory killing and gods cavorting and hey did I mention RAPE? Yeah, so, Riordan kind of glosses over the rapey parts of the myths and I'm not sure that makes it better. As a narrator, Percy acknowledges how extremely messed-up all of this is, and it must have been quite an effort for Riordan to present this material in a way that even approaches appropriateness, but that's not actually even possible. Once I informed my friend of this, she told her daughter she didn't have to finish the book and I believe she even went to the school about it. ( )
  EmScape | Mar 14, 2021 |
I would give this book 3.5 stars. While I’m glad I read it and will probably reread the Percy Jackson series at some point, I doubt I’ll reread this. It is written as if Percy is the author, so has the feeling and style of having been written by the stereotypical white male American teenager. Which, makes the Greek Gods a bit more fun and approachable for some, but will be annoying to others. Things that are known in modern American culture are consistent throughout the book: Craig’s List, US sport’s teams, reworded common idioms, etc. There are also lots of times, for comedic effect, within a list of horrible things, something that is on a very different level is included. Sometimes I chuckled along and other times I paused and felt a bit uncomfortable.

On the whole, Riordan does a good job of calling out the actions of the gods and saying: yeah, this obviously does not follow our moral code, but that’s how things were then. And at least to me, it didn’t come across as an excuse, but more as just a statement of fact. Though, sometimes word choice did seem to play a bit into gender stereotypes, but it didn’t feel strong and I didn’t notice it through the entire book, just certain parts.

One other thing I enjoyed about the book was that it gave me new perspective on The Song of Achilles and Lore Olympus, Season 1. Though, because of the mix of comedy and putting things into modern terms, there are some things that I would definitely want to look up in a second source before telling someone: I learned this thing about Greek gods...

If you are interested in the Greek gods, I would say see if you can read the first chapter before deciding to get it. If you like the style of the first chapter, you’ll probably enjoy the rest of the book. ( )
1 vote Sara_Cat | Mar 6, 2021 |
Just another day where Percy introduces his paternal family to us!! ( )
  Vibha_V | Feb 18, 2021 |

Riordan, RickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my father, Rick Riordan, Sr., who read me my first book of mythogy
--R. R.
To my heroes of illustrattion:  N. C. Wyeth, Maxfield Parrish, Arthur Rackham, and Frank Frazetta.
--J. R.
Introduction:
I hope I'm getting extra credit for this.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,136,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible