Do Grow: Start with 10 simple vegetables.…

Do Grow: Start with 10 simple vegetables. (Do Books) (edition 2013)

by Alice Holden (Author)

Member:bildungsromans
Title:Do Grow: Start with 10 simple vegetables. (Do Books)
Authors:Alice Holden (Author)
Info:The Do Book Company (2013), 160 pages
Tags:gardening, growing food, vegetable gardening, uk gardening, basics, librarything early reviewers

Do Grow by Alice Holden

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Do Grow: Start with 10 simple vegetables by Alice Holden is a quick and easy guide for a beginner gardener. It includes the basics on how to get started in gardening (particularly with vegetables as the title implies).

This quick how-to book gives concise pointers and suggestions on how to start your garden and growing vegetables. It's a nice handbook for quick reference. For the 10 vegetables that she suggests are good to start with, they each have a short sub chapter dedicated to them. Tips and pointers on how to solve simple problems you may be having with your plants are given for each. I liked that it also recommends with what foods and seasonings each vegetable is best paired with. A whole chapter is dedicated to recipes.

The author writes from her personal experience and how she got into gardening. She explains what she's learned along the way. This book seemed like a foray into living a self-sustaining life and part memoir.

This book doesn't go into much depth. It's a very light overview of gardening. And as others mentioned, this book is best intended for a UK audience. I would have a liked a bit more depth into the 10 vegetables. However, the author intended for this to just be a brief overview of gardening and the essentials to get you started on your own garden journey.

I loved the overall simple design of the book. The pictures and drawings were a nice touch.

Overall, it was a nice introductory gardening book for beginners with some helpful advice on the essentials needed to get started. I enjoyed the helpful tips on what you may be doing wrong/not doing and how to correct it to make your garden thrive. ( )
  Blueskies20 | Jul 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A handy little book that offers basic information on growing 10 types of food. As I've just moved to a house with a yard (and plants already in place) I'm getting a crash course in basic gardening. I've also just been given two tomato plants, so I was able to quickly put the tomato chapter to use!

I would second another reviewer's caution that since this is a UK title, some of the info isn't particularly helpful to me in North America.

Overall though, I'm glad I've read this book and now have a copy to refer back to each season. Next year I want to start a whole container garden beyond tomatoes, and it's all thanks to the inspiration I got reading this book! ( )
  bildungsromans | Jul 11, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a good book, well written with lots of good information. This is a must read for gardeners of all levels. ( )
  amy1825 | Jul 10, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a lovely little book. I have been carrying it around in my purse to read whenever I get the chance. There is a wealth of information in the book and it is easy to read. The author makes gardening easy to understand and doesn't overwhelm me with things to do but sticks to the basics so gardening is easily manageable for someone like me who hasn't done it before. Thanks for a great book! ( )
  halstead898 | Jul 3, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I teach basic vegetable gardening classes at the public libraries in the area as part of the Master Gardener program. I have read many gardening books and guides and I am always looking for a basic guide to reference and to recommend to my students. As far as introductory vegetable gardening goes this book touches all of the right topics with an appropriate level of detail for the beginning gardener. My approach is exactly the same. The only criticism I have is that the planting guide only is right for, perhaps, the British gardener and is not an adequate guide for many areas of the US and there is no reference to an appropriate guide or other guidance on the subject.. Many new gardeners do not understand that the geographical area has a huge impact on when to plant the various crops. I would have recommended the recipe section of the book be omitted and more gardening info included, I did not find it added much to the subject of the book. All in all very nice effort. ( )
  Dmoorela | Jun 25, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Alice Holden's book Do Grow is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,202,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible