Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Pardonable Lies: A Maisie Dobbs Novel…

Pardonable Lies: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels, 3) (edition 2006)

by Jacqueline Winspear (Author)

Series: Maisie Dobbs (3)

A deathbed plea from his wife leads Sir Cecil Lawton to seek the aid of Maisie Dobbs, psychologist and investigator. As Maisie soon learns, Agnes Lawton never accepted that her aviator son was killed in the Great War, a torment that led her not only to the edge of madness but to the doors of those who practice the dark arts and commune with the spirit world. In accepting the assignment, Maisie finds her spiritual strength tested, as well as her regard for her mentor, Maurice Blanche. The mission also brings her together once again with her college friend Priscilla Evernden, who served in France and who lost three brothers to the war-one of whom, it turns out, had an intriguing connection to the missing Ralph Lawton. Following on the heels of the triumphant Birds of a Feather, Pardonable lies is the most compelling installment yet in the chronicles of Maisie Dobbs.… (more)
Member:ekstewartnh
Title:Pardonable Lies: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels, 3)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear (Author)
Info:Picador (2006), Edition: First, 359 pages

Work Information

Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspear

Engaging though I did wince at the sensitive non sport playing son being gay. Sigh... ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
In 1930 Sir Cecil Lawton approaches Maisie Dobbs so that he can fulfil a deathbed promise made to his wife. She believes that their son who died in the war is alive, Sir Cecil wants Maisie to prove that he is dead. And so Maisie returns to the area of her WWI memories to resolve the mystery of the pilot's death. But what else will she reveal.
An interesting and enjoyable well-written story ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |
The cases for Maisie Dobbs in this edition revolve around the idea of daughters losing their mothers, a father who wants his son to be really dead and a sister wishing to find her dear brother's final resting place. What I like about these stories is that the threads being woven aren't seen at first and become more appartent as the story goes on. Maisie has to go back to France in her quest for answers and to confront her horrors about the war that finished her girlhood and lost her first love. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
Maisie Dobbs, book 3. I’m reading this series out loud to/with a friend.

This one seemed to have less humor than the first two books in the series, but it did have some, and it seemed to have a lot more intrigue, and intricate and fun multiple mysteries. I love the shades of gray in these books, with the characters and with their circumstances. There isn’t a lot of black and white, nor are there definite heroes and villains. I really appreciate that.

I’m thoroughly enjoying this series but now associate it with reading out loud to/with this one particular friend. We are reading them really, really slowly. I have book 5 as a loaner from another friend which will be great because so far they’ve been Kindle e-books from the library and not renewable and there has been a wait to get each book back each time. Now waiting for book 4 for the first of likely multiple check outs.

At the end of the book proper this edition has the Acknowledgements section and a short author bio, and also an interview with the author and discussion questions. These books are great discussion books.

I’m glad that I’m finally reading this series. I really like it.

4-1/2 stars ( )
  Lisa2013 | Oct 12, 2020 |
Maisie Dobbs is hired by two people, Sir Cecil Lawton who asks her to determine the death of his son, Ralph Lawton during WWI, and her friend Priscilla Evernden who asks her to find the resting place of her brother Peter, lost along with her other two brothers in WWI. Maisie uncovers a link between the two men while she is required to revisit France where she had served as nurse on the front lines in WWI. These cases bring up some unresolved and uncomfortable issues regarding her experiences in WWI. Her relationship with Maurice Blanche is also brought into question. ( )
  baughga | Sep 30, 2020 |
Fans of Miss Marple and Precious Ramotswe are sure to embrace Maisie, a pitch-perfect blend of compassion and panache
added by khuggard | editBooklist

A thought-provoking series entry, the story contains revelations of secret missions, homosexuality, the lives of persons from all layers of society, and a winning heroine who is not perfect and is willing to learn from her mistakes
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal

Winspear writes seamlessly, enriching the whole with vivid details of English life on a variety of social levels.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

Winspear, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronswijk, Ineke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaramillo, RaquelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

rororo (24325)
Truly, to tell lies is not honorable;
but when the truth entails tremendous ruin,
to speak dishonorably is pardonable.

--Sophocles (c. 496-406 B.C.), Creusa
Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work--
I am the grass; I cover all.
And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
What place is this?
Where are we now?

I am the grass.
Let me work.

--Carl Sandburg (1878-1967), Grass
For Anne-Marie
With much love and gratitude
for our lifetime friendship.
The young policewoman stood in the corner of the room.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,316,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible