Fairest, Vol.3: The Return of the Maharaja

by Sean E. Williams

Other authors: Christian Alamy (Illustrator), Russ Braun (Illustrator), Dan Green (Illustrator), Meghan Hetrick (Illustrator), Phil Jimenez (Illustrator)3 more, Jose Marzan (Illustrator), Andrew Pepoy (Illustrator), Stephen Sadowski (Illustrator)

Series: Fairest (2012-2015) (Vol. 3: 15-20), Bill Willingham's Fables (15-20)

"New York Times bestselling, award-winning creator Bill Willingham presents a new series starring the female FABLES. Balancing horror, humor and adventure in the FABLES tradition, FAIREST explores the secret histories of Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Cinderella, The Snow Queen, Thumbelina, Snow White, Rose Red and others. When Nalayani seeks the help of the Maharaja to save her village from the Dhole, she uncovers a secret that could change the Fables Universe forever: the still alive and long-thought dead Prince Charming! This volume collects Fairest #15-20"--… (more)

So. Charming survived. And now he's a Maharaja in a world of Indian Fables. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised.

Storywise, it's pretty crazy. It's awesome to see the character growth. He's an ass, but he's got a lot of potential. A near death, saving the world... might just do the thing?

I think what annoys me most about the whole thing is ... the stylization of the text. Fables has done it before a few times, representing text in another language with English stylized as if it were local characters, but this one is particularly hard to read.

Spoilers:

Heh. Charming is Charming.

Yup. Everyone (not just the readers!) thinks he's dead. It makes it work. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
This spinoff series is supposed to be about the women of the Fables series, but this collection is all about Prince-freakin'-Charming! Like sure, it's great that he's back from the dead, but giving him a dose of "true love" in the form of a rather feisty (and admittedly intriguing) Indian woman is a pretty thinly veiled attempt to shift the story back to a male focus. I guess I'll let them get away with it because he is basically the biggest pain-in-the-ass for the women of Fabletown, but I'm still not happy about it! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
This issue features the lovely Indian maiden, Nalayani who leaves her village in order to ask the new maharaja to help save her village from man-eating monsters. The new maharaja is none other than Prince Charming who we last saw falling off the battleship in the war against the Adversary. Nalayani is very beautiful and brave so Prince Charming is immediately interested in her and agrees to return with her to her village.

This land is called Indus and is plagued by vicious beasts, thugs, goblins and a mysterious plague, but the most surprising thing is that Prince Charming appears to have finally felt “True Love”. When the time comes for him to return to Fabletown, he begs Nalayani to come with him. Although she does not love Prince Charming she agrees to go with him to this new world.

I liked this story and as it left me with some questions I hope it is continued in later issues. I was happy to see Prince Charming is alive and I hope I get to see the three ex-wives reaction to the news. This volume was adventurous, imaginative and filled in some missing information about the Fables. This gives me hope that other missing characters may yet turn up on other far distant worlds. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 8, 2016 |
The story was merely forgettable, but when I read "The Women of FABLES in a Series All Their Own!", I was looking forward to reading a book about a woman from FABLES. This book was about a woman who hadn't appeared in the FABLES series and Prince Charming (definitely not a woman!). Additional irritant: to show that most of the characters in the story aren't speaking English, the dialog is written in an almost unreadable font. ( )
1 vote Silvernfire | May 12, 2015 |
Description: When Nalayani seeks the help of the Maharaja to save her village from the Dhole, she uncovers a secret that could change the Fables Universe forever: the still alive and long-thought dead Prince Charming!

Thoughts: This was a big disappointment. Firstly, Fairest purports to be about the ladies of FABLETOWN not any random Fable girl who happens across Charming's (albeit awesomely still alive) self.

This story is basically: Charming isn't dead, yay! But he does manage to make a giant mess of things for everyone around him just by being himself. As usual. Poor defenseless village pays the price. Sets in motion a chain of events that are about almost NOTHING but showing Charming learning about love because a poor jungle girl from India isn't freaked out when he is less than handsome. Oh, and because she won't sleep with him because apparently that's never happened before.

BORING.

Nalayani could have been an interesting character. She's determined and strong and does the right thing. But her possibly interesting story is buried in making her Charming's new victim d'amour. Which is decidedly NOT the point of a whole series about Fables' badass women. Seriously, they could have found a way to tell this story in the Fables mainstory and I probably wouldn't have been bothered by it, but don't do this crap in Fairest and call it a celebration of female fables. I mean, even the main male characters are hot for Charming in this! It's Charming-palooza. Ick.

Rating: 2.8

Jimenez, PhilIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzan, JoseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sadowski, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,097,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible