Peril at End House by Agatha Christie

Peril at End House (original 1932; edition 1932)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot (7)

Agatha Christie's ingenious murder mystery, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Nick Buckley was an unusual name for a pretty young woman. But then she had led an unusual life. First, on a treacherous Cornish hillside, the brakes on her car failed. Then, on a coastal path, a falling boulder missed her by inches. Later, an oil painting fell and almost crushed her in bed. Upon discovering a bullet-hole in Nick's sun hat, Hercule Poirot decides the girl needs his protection. At the same time, he begins to unravel the mystery of a murder that hasn't been committed. Yet.… (more)
Member:Gopal_Kamath
Title:Peril at End House
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:New York : Dodd, Mead, [1985], c1932.

Peril at End House by Agatha Christie (1932)

A Murder Is Announced by Agatha Christie (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The twists involved in both stories are kind of parallel.

Still on my quest to read all of Christie and I enjoyed this one. Poirot is vacationing with his old friend, Hastings, and has declaired that he is retired, no more will he work. No sooner does he say this when young, pretty Nick Hastings comes around the corner and is shot at. She does not see that she might be in danger, but Poirot and with that, his so called retirement is at an end as he tries to prevent her death. But, is she really in danger afterall? ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
Actual Ratings :- 4.5 stars
  ShreyasDeshpande | Oct 24, 2020 |
page turner... excellent. ( )
  devendradave | Sep 1, 2020 |
Part of my enjoyment of a Christie book is playing along, trying to guess the culprit. The closest I got with this one is "well, the idea crossed my mind but I dismissed it entirely!"

End House is a lesson in how important the small details can be. It's also an amazing example of how good Christie is at misdirecting clue emphasis. The facts are all there, I just didn't prioritize them correctly.

The only thing I wish this story had more of was character development. This is a rare moment when poirot is stumped, it would have been nice to see a nuanced reaction from him rather than the melodramatic that we get. ( )
  yorga2020 | Aug 30, 2020 |
...You are going to get to the bottom of this, aren’t you?”
That I swear. On the word of Hercule Poirot. I am the dog who stays on the scent and does not leave it.

Another excellent book by the Queen of mystery and that ending wow ( )
  damivik | Aug 16, 2020 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To
Eden Philpotts
To whom I shall always be grateful for his
friendship and the encouragement he gave me many years ago.
No seaside town in the south of England is, I think, as attractive as St. Loo.
'In an old house,' he said, 'there is sometimes an atmosphere of evil.'

'That's it, sir,' said Ellen, eagerly. 'Evil. Bad thoughts and bad deeds too. It's like dry rot in a house, sir, you can't get it out. It's a sort of feeling in the air. I always knew something bad would happen in this house, someday.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,765,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible