Peril at End House: A Hercule Poirot Mystery…

Peril at End House: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries, 8) (original 1932; edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie (Author)

Series: Hercule Poirot (7)

Agatha Christie's ingenious murder mystery, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Nick Buckley was an unusual name for a pretty young woman. But then she had led an unusual life. First, on a treacherous Cornish hillside, the brakes on her car failed. Then, on a coastal path, a falling boulder missed her by inches. Later, an oil painting fell and almost crushed her in bed. Upon discovering a bullet-hole in Nick's sun hat, Hercule Poirot decides the girl needs his protection. At the same time, he begins to unravel the mystery of a murder that hasn't been committed. Yet.… (more)
Member:BeecharmerMC
Title:Peril at End House: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries, 8)
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages

Peril at End House by Agatha Christie (1932)

A Murder Is Announced by Agatha Christie (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The twists involved in both stories are kind of parallel.

Peril at End House shows a naïve Hercule Poirot that falls under the spells of Magdala “Nick” Buckley. Each chapter displays a foolish man that believes everything a young, beautiful woman tells him. Poirot does not allow the little gray cells to invade this case until the final chapters. Nick enlists Poirot to guard against multiple plots of killing her. But why would anyone want to kill Nick, she has no money? Then a glimmer appears when Nick tells of her engagement to Michael Seton, a world class flyer. Michael is lost in his attempted flight, and many think Nick will inherit his estate. The plots of murder continue, but instead of killing Nick, her cousin Maggie is killed. Why? What is Poirot doing to protect Nick and solve this mystery? I would love to talk with Agatha Christie and ask her many questions: where does she find all these strange names for her characters and how does she establish the steps of the killer? This story presents an interesting tale but shows the weakness of Poirot. ( )
  delphimo | Apr 6, 2021 |
A fine Hercule Poirot novel, with the story being narrated by Hastings. Even though this is the 8th novel (with many more to come), the career of Poirot is portrayed to be at the twilight, which I thought was interesting.

I found the story to be engaging, but most of the characters were not fully developed in my opinion. I didn't have much empathy for the cast, except for Poirot and Hastings, but they are developed in all the books.

Nevertheless, the mystery is satisfying to follow and sleuth out. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
This is not the very best Poirot novel there is, but definitely one I enjoyed more than some others. I liked the setting very much - a hotel and an old country house in Cornwall - on the one hand because it's such a classic setting, and on the other hand because right now, what could be better than a seaside holiday in a place as beautiful as Cornwall.
The story intrigued me from the beginning and although I guessed a few parts of the solution, I did not guess the culprit. I feel like the characters are a little flat in this one, and Poirot was boasting about himself a little too much, but the story and the case captivated me and it was just the kind of comfort read I was looking for. ( )
  MissBrangwen | Jan 17, 2021 |
Hercule involves himself when a light-hearted young woman discounts the possibility that there have been a number of murder attempts on her.

Typical Christie mystery set in a country house in Cornwall, and as usual Poirot collects together all the characters involved at a final meeting and dramatic reveal.

4* because I couldn’t guess the ‘why done it’. ( )
  LARA335 | Jan 6, 2021 |
A great example of light crime fiction set in the 1930s. The plot, as always with Agatha Christie, is meticulous, with all the clues necessary to solve the 'whodunit', as well as plenty of distractions and false trails.

The characters, if a tad stereotyped, are more well-rounded than many of this author's, and there's a relatively small and manageable number of possible suspects. The pace of the book is good, and Poirot is on top form despite theoretically having retired.

I had guessed a few details connected with the unmasking of the perpetrator, but was as surprised as the narrator at the outcome. Definitely recommended if you like this genre.

Longer review here: https://suesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2020/12/peril-at-end-house-by-agatha-christ... ( )
  SueinCyprus | Dec 21, 2020 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To
Eden Philpotts
To whom I shall always be grateful for his
friendship and the encouragement he gave me many years ago.
No seaside town in the south of England is, I think, as attractive as St. Loo.
'In an old house,' he said, 'there is sometimes an atmosphere of evil.'

'That's it, sir,' said Ellen, eagerly. 'Evil. Bad thoughts and bad deeds too. It's like dry rot in a house, sir, you can't get it out. It's a sort of feeling in the air. I always knew something bad would happen in this house, someday.'

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,254,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible