The Voice inside My Head by S.J. Laidlaw

The Voice inside My Head (edition 2014)

by S.J. Laidlaw

A fast-paced mystery, The Voice inside My Head is expected to be a commercial success and a hit with teens.      Seventeen-year-old Luke's older sister, Pat, has always been his moral compass, like a voice inside his head, every time he has a decision to make. So when Pat disappears on a tiny island off the coast of Honduras and the authorities claim she's drowned - despite the fact that they can't produce a body - Luke heads to Honduras to find her because he knows something the authorities don't. From the moment of her disappearance, Pat's voice has become real, guiding him to Utila, where she had accepted a summer internship to study whale sharks. Once there, he meets several characters who describe his sister as a very different girl from the one knows. Does someone have a motive for wanting her dead? Determined to get to the bottom of Pat's disappearance, Luke risks everything, including his own life, to find the answer.… (more)
Member:fallpeople
Title:The Voice inside My Head
Authors:S.J. Laidlaw
Info:Tundra Books (2014), Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:MiGWriters

Work Information

The Voice inside My Head by S.J. Laidlaw

S.J.Laidlaw sweeps us off our feet with a read so satisfying that even those who do not actively read young adult fiction (like myself) can't complain. Set in Utila, a small, actual island off the coast of Honduras, it follows the adventure of seventeen-year old Luke as he promises his parents to find his older sister Patrica, or at least obtain closure concerning her disappearance when summer interning there. Luke's continuous rejection of the official police reports leads him to the island where both he and the reader come across more than a handful of head-scratching possibilities as to what could have happened. Filled with humanity, adventure and adolescent energy, The Voice inside My Head makes for a superbly entertaining read, doubling as an inexpensive vacation with its tropical, laid-back setting where the forests are as lush as the waters are blue. There is no shortage in characters within the pages of this book, though each is distinct and memorable in their own right, adding nothing but color to the plot-line.

Though I have not read her other works, I am in no doubt that Laidlaw has established a name for herself not just within the realm of Canadian literature, but also within the field of fiction. She has accurately captured the perspective and thought process of a boy in his teenage years, particularly through the intimate and creative conversation that is maintained between Luke and the voice in his head—his sister Patricia. Plot twists pepper this novel, and I foresaw none of them, although I don't typically read young adult fiction so I could be untrained. Sibling bonds take center stage in this novel where adventure, love, and mystery collide, offering us a quick-paced and engrossing read.

If you want to read more of my reviews, check out my book blog! ( )
  themythbookshelf | Aug 8, 2015 |
Brother searches for missing sister in exotic locale. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was absolutely magnificent. The Voice Inside My Head is about a guy named Luke who heads to Utila to find his missing sister. However when he does go to look for her, he finds out some very interesting things about his sister. This book had some great plot twists, which I loved. I think this is a great read for anyone who loves mystery and suspense. ( )
  Milaxox | Jun 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Excited to read a Giveaway book, I dove right into S.J. Laidlaw's page turner "The Voice Inside My Head." This book keeps you on the edge of your seat as Luke heads to Utila to find his missing sister who he still believes to be alive. With the voice of his sister Patricia in his head, Luke goes on a search for his sister, coming to the realization that he and his sister had a lot more in common than he thought. "The Voice Inside My Head" is a great book for young adults who enjoy unexpected plot twists. ( )
  ohheyyitsminjee | Jun 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A quick easy read for teens. A young lady has disappeared and her brother is compelled to go to the island she disappeared from and try to find out what happened. ( )
  STilton2 | Jun 11, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

S.J. Laidlaw's book The Voice inside My Head was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

S.J. Laidlaw is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,879,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible