Manners & Mutiny by Gail Carriger

Manners & Mutiny

by Gail Carriger

Series: Finishing School (4), Parasol Universe (4)

Oh, I know these are basically delicious fluffy cookies, but I love them. And the fan service here exists, but it is much more subtle than say, the latest Vorkosigan. Petunia being Ivy's mother and thus Sophronia being Ivy's aunt, for example, was a smart move rather than making her Dimity's daughter or some rot. And the Floote sighting was extremely well-done I'm curious how this will play into the Prudence books - because I'm moderately certain it will - but as a stand-alone series, I was pleased and charmed. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
I thought these were a lot of fun and would love to see them made into films. ( )
  juliejb9 | Sep 23, 2018 |
Judging by the other reviews, I think I will be in a minority here.

I tried to read this one two years after I read the others, which I read in 2014. Unfortunately, this fourth one just did not do it for me. At all. I wish I'd written down why this one didn't sit well with me at the time in 2016--it's hard to remember now two years after trying it.

Mostly, I just remember being really irritated at how forceably quirky this book felt it had to be: the names, the personalities, the clothing, the housing, the dialog, the circumstances, the steampunk, the love interests. Everything about it was so over-the-top that it bordered on inane to me. The preceding three were also this way, but for some reason with this one it was just too much. Kind of like how sometimes even though you are reading them for the quaint and familiar and predictable nature, some cozy mysteries can be overly formulated to be too perfect and too saccharine to make them enjoyed. This is like the paranormal historical fiction version of that.

I also vaguely remember being irritated at the continued strong theme regarding her inability to choose between the vampire and the werewolf because it seemed... I don't know... contrived? Drawn out? Unnecessary? I lost interest, frankly.

I may try the series again someday because it could have been that I just wasn't in the right mood for it at the time, but that is doubtful. ( )
  trillianiris | Jul 13, 2018 |
It's Sophronia Teminick's final year at finishing school, and her most challenging yet. She doesn't attend many classes, because the school is under attack. Again! All of the events of the previous books come to a head and Sophronia, her friends, and her mentors will need all their skills to keep the Picklemen from controlling everything.

A mostly satisfying ending to the series. Sophronia gets to use her skills that she has been cultivating for all this time, to save the school that she loves. My only regret is that she does this mostly on her own, in the end, without her friends. They're better together! I will miss all the characters from this series, but they all ended up in good places and I can rest assured that I could see them pop up again in different sub-series of the same universe. ( )
  norabelle414 | Jun 4, 2018 |
The fourth book in the Finishing School series finds Sophronia and her friends in the midst of another adventure. Picklemen came on board their floating dirigible school, but no one believes what Sophronia saw. What nefarious scheme are they up to now?

Threads from the previous three books are tied up nicely in this final book. Sophronia is fun to follow, though not infallible, and the wry, witty silliness abounds. If you're a fan of the series, you'll get the kind of story you're expecting and won't be disappointed. ( )
  bell7 | Apr 27, 2017 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Quirk, MoiraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechter, CarrieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shaw, TracyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"A ball, at last!"

Expected November 3, 2015 per Amazon.

When a dastardly Pickleman plot comes to fruition, only Sophronia can save her friends, her school, and all of London...but at what cost? Our proper young heroine puts her training and skills to the test in this highly anticipated conclusion of the rousing, intriguing, and always polished New York Times bestselling Finishing School series!

[retrieved 3/31/2015 from Amazon.com]

In an alternate England of 1851, Sophronia Temminnick is the only hope for her friends, her school, and all of London when she must put her espionage training to the test to thwart an evil Picklemen plot.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,988,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible