Cold Cold Heart by Tami Hoag

Cold Cold Heart (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Tami Hoag (Author)

3182034,897 (3.71)3
Member:maryintexas39
Title:Cold Cold Heart
Authors:Tami Hoag (Author)
Info:Dutton (2015), 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:psychological suspense, traumatic brain injury

Cold Cold Heart by Tami Hoag (2015)

I'm new to Tami Hoag and I'm afraid on the strength of this novel I probably won't be rushing out to buy anymore.
The idea is excellent, Dana has survived a serial killer and has now returned to her hometown to recover and rebuild her life. Whilst she is there she begins to reinvestigate the mysterious disappearance of her best friend Casey. She is suffering from PTSD and mild brain damage and her memories of her previous life are sketchy, a situation not helped by the fact that her hometown is populated by a host of suspicious characters each as unpleasant as the next. Unfortunately that doesn't make it difficult to spot the real bad guy a mile off which makes the ending a bit of a let down. By the way I'm not giving much away by saying 'bad guy' the female characters in this book are all loving carers or victims another small irritant.
It was a good premise for a story and I was quite enjoying it until about half way when I started to get tired of Dana not knowing who to trust and who to believe (hint, if someone keeps telling you to stop investigating a murder there's usually a good reason!)In the end I finished it in the hope of a surprise that never came, but on the plus side the dog was still alive. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
Another good mystery by Tami Hoag! ( )
  teeth | Feb 8, 2017 |
My Thoughts: While this book is marketed as a standalone it does loosely tie in to her Kovac/Liska series whereas the main character, Dana Nolan, makes an appearance in the 4th book of that series The 9th Girl. I've not read that series and can state that you do not have to read any other Hoag book to understand what is going on in this one. However, if you do not like spoilers, this book gives the name of the killer in The 9th Girl. Just an FYI.

The Good Stuff: I think what really shines in this book is the character development. I've never read a book of fiction that portrays the struggles of a person with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) with such accuracy. In addition to TBI, Dana also suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) which is also handled exceptionally well. From Dana's struggles to relearn everything from talking to walking to realizing her day would now consist of various Post It notes to remind her to do things like brush her teeth. In addition to Dana's struggles to return to a somewhat normal existence we see how her family struggles with the "After Dana." This is the term Dana came up with to separate who she was before the TBI (Before Dana) to who she is now (After Dana). Not only does she have to learn the basics all over again she has to define who she is again. A person takes years to develop their personalities and likes/dislikes. In Dana's case she didn't know if she liked, let's say, broccoli so she'd have to experience it again for the first time to make that kind of determination. Yet her mom would make a meal because it was "Dana's Favorite" only to get upset that it no longer appealed to the After Dana. Dana's frustrations, her confusion, and her anger were all just so spot on. It amazed me.

The Not so Good Stuff: I think for me, the stuff that wasn't quite as good (not bad, mind you...just not as impacting as the good stuff) was the suspense behind the cold case that Dana happened to help solve while trying to remember certain aspects of her past. In all actuality 2 cold cases were solved but neither really garnered as much appreciation as the TBI part did. Because I wasn't fully invested in the plot of the book (essentially the what happened to Dana's high school best friend) I really didn't care if it was solved or not other than it was interesting to see how the After Dana kept pushing for answers when the Before Dana really didn't.

In a Nutshell: The author's notes after the conclusion of the book was enlightening. To know that Tami Hoag suffered a TBI early in her life really solidified Dana's struggles to me. I think character driven people will appreciate Dana and enjoy this book. However, plot driven people may find the pace very slow once the hard impacting prologue ends. In addition, those who enjoy Hoag's romances will be disappointed that there is no romance whatsoever here. Despite my love of romances I'm glad there wasn't one to muddy the rest of the story. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
Dana is the survivor from the prior book - The 9th girl. I found Dana's struggle to adjust to her new life after the injures she received to her brain very interesting.. Dana is trying to piece back together her life and her memory. Her mother wants to protect her from anything bad. Her relationship with her step-father is strained. That portion I enjoyed very much.

The mystery not so much, it turned out how I guessed it would. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 20, 2016 |
Cold Cold Heart by Tami Hoag tells us the story of a young journalist by the name of Dana Nolan who is abducted one day by a sadistic serial killer known as Doc Holiday. She is also his only know survivor, having killed him to make her escape. It is the story of how Dana struggles to piece together her shattered life while dealing with a traumatic brain injury and PTSD, after being both physically and mentally scarred from her ordeal.

I have to say that I did struggle through the first half of the book. There seemed to be a lot of time spent on explaining Dana's scrambled memories and her battle with the PTSD and the TBI. Although I totally recognize the need to understand what the character was going through, at times I found it all a little overwhelming. I found the book to be more of a dramatic mystery more than the psychological thriller I was expecting. This isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the book because I did, I tend to go for those "edge-of-your-seat" type thrillers where the twists and turns have your brain working overtime. And although I thought this was a decent story, it just wasn't one of my favorites. ( )
  kitchenwitch04 | Oct 24, 2016 |

Tami Hoagprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hasselberger, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Telesca, LeonardDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She should have been dead.

#1 New York Times bestselling author Tami Hoag delivers a shocking stand-alone thriller

Dana Nolan was a promising young TV reporter until she was kidnapped by a notorious serial killer. A year has passed since she defeated her attacker, but Dana is still physically, emotionally, and psychologically scarred by her ordeal, with aftereffects including PTSD and memory loss. In an attempt to put herself back together after surviving the unthinkable, Dana returns to her hometown. But it doesn’t provide the comfort she expects: She struggles to recognize family and childhood friends and begins experiencing dark flashbacks—but she’s not sure if they’re truly memories or side effects of her brain injury.

Dana decides to use her investigative skills to piece together her past and learns of the event that made her become a reporter in the first place: the disappearance of her best friend, Casey Grant, the summer after high school graduation. Looking at her past and the unsolved mystery through the dark filter of PTSD, old friends seem to be suspects, authority figures part of a cover-up. Dana begins to question everything she knows. What is real? What is imagined? Are we defined by what happens to us? And is the truth really something too terrible to be believed?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:50 -0400)

Dana was a promising TV reporter until she was kidnapped by a notorious serial killer. A year has passed, but Dana is still scarred by her ordeal. In an attempt to put herself back together, Dana returns to her hometown. But she struggles to recognize family and friends and begins experiencing dark flashbacks. Dana decides to use her investigative skills to piece together her past. Looking at her past, Dana begins to question everything. Is the truth really something too terrible to be believed?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible