Leaving Time (2014)

by Jodi Picoult

Series: Serenity Jones (1)

" For more than a decade, Jenna Metcalf has never stopped thinking about her mother, Alice, who mysteriously disappeared in the wake of a tragic accident. Refusing to believe that she would be abandoned as a young child, Jenna searches for her mother regularly online and pores over the pages of Alice's old journals. A scientist who studied grief among elephants, Alice wrote mostly of her research among the animals she loved, yet Jenna hopes the entries will provide a clue to her mother's whereabouts. Desperate to find the truth, Jenna enlists two unlikely allies in her quest. The first is Serenity Jones, a psychic who rose to fame finding missing persons--only to later doubt her gifts. The second is Virgil Stanhope, a jaded private detective who originally investigated Alice's case along with the strange, possibly linked death of one of her colleagues. As the three work together to uncover what happened to Alice, they realize that in asking hard questions, they'll have to face even harder answers. As Jenna's memories dovetail with the events in her mother's journals, the story races to a mesmerizing finish. A deeply moving, gripping, and intelligent page-turner, Leaving Time is Jodi Picoult at the height of her powers" --… (more)
    The Lovely Bones (Reader's Companion) by John Henriksen (Cecilturtle)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (Cecilturtle)
    Love, Life, and Elephants: An African Love Story by Daphne Sheldrick (JGoto)
    JGoto: Much of Picoult's information about elephants comes directly from this book - a fascinating memoir about Dame Daphne Sheldrick and her work in Africa.

English (118)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (120)
I've read some of the Goodreads reviews of this book, and I think I understand why I give this book a 5 and some others give it a 1 or 2. This is a book that appeals to a soft heart for animals. Picoult skillfully teaches me so much about elephants and their brilliant, creative minds and big hearts--and I don't even feel as if I'm being taught. I feel as if I am living with the elephants. If you are mainly interested in humans and don't feel a kinship with animals you might think that the book feels as if there are odd gaps at times--explainable by the story being told from multiple points of view. It might even seem a little jerky occasionally because of this. That is all understood by the end of the book (the twist), so it makes sense. Not my absolute favorite story without the elephants, but the elephants are the stars of the show--AND VERY WELL WORTH THE READ. in fact, I wish everyone would read it to learn more about them and to help them survive before it is too late and they are all gone. ( )
  LuanneCastle | Mar 5, 2022 |
Not my favorite Jodi Picoult book but I did like most of it ( )
  AlexM12345 | Jan 5, 2022 |
My first Picoult. Enjoyed her writing, the story and the character interactions. ( )
  jldarden | Apr 1, 2021 |
LOVED this book - I couldn't put it down! Jodi Picoult has a talent for making her characters come to life in a way that makes you bleed with them. I love the way she blends in a bit of science so that when you finish the story, you've learned something that you can carry with you for the rest of your life. You reluctantly leave the book, but when you finally set it down you leave it feeling enriched. AMAZED by the ending! You've got to read this book! ( )
  ShannonHollinger | Feb 15, 2021 |

Jodi Picoultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Batlles Vinn, CamilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Girard, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peschel, ElfriedeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A true friend will walk hundreds of miles with you, in rain, snow, sleet, and hail.
FOR JOAN COLLISON
Some people used to believe that there was an elephant graveyard--a place that sick and old elephants would travel to die.
It's the hour that's the seam between day and night.
It was almost as if there was a tear in the fabric I was made of, and he was the only color thread that would match to stitch it back up.
"It's not that he doesn't love you enough to tell you the truth," she said. "It's that he loves you too much to risk it."
A bruise is how the body remembers it's been wronged.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jodi Picoult's book Leaving Time was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,116,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible