Leaving Time (with bonus novella Larger Than…

Leaving Time (with bonus novella Larger Than Life): A Novel (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Jodi Picoult (Author)

Member:terrylynn
Title:Leaving Time (with bonus novella Larger Than Life): A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 496 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Psychics

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult (2014)

Recently added byfreelunch, Erina39, private library, Jamishka
    The Lovely Bones (Reader's Companion) by Alice Sebold (Cecilturtle)
    Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (Cecilturtle)
    Love, Life, and Elephants: An African Love Story by Daphne Sheldrick (JGoto)
    JGoto: Much of Picoult's information about elephants comes directly from this book - a fascinating memoir about Dame Daphne Sheldrick and her work in Africa.

English (101)  Italian (1)  All languages (102)
It's been a long time since I read a Jodi Picoult, and this was a good return vehicle. My husband asked me what it was about, and I jokingly said 'A kid, a cop, and a psychic walk into an elephant preserve one da...'.
Not Picoult's usual formula (as I remember it), which I kept waiting for, while periodically noting inconsistencies or bits that I wondered how slipped past the editor (which when I finally caught on to what the big reveal would be, made me feel good as a reader that I'd picked them up. I just didn't do the full math with them until well into the book.)
Glad I picked it up to try this author again. Especially loved the meaning behind the title. ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 3, 2018 |
Interesting story. I enjoyed learning about the challenges faced in protecting elephants. They are wonderful, intelligent animals. I found the ending to be a bit strange and a bit of a let down. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
Absolutely awesome book! It is a very intriguing story with several points of view which Picoult does so well: teenage girl, missing mother, psychic who used to be very good at it, cop who is hiding his identity, and the girl's father who is in a mental hospital. Every character is rich and memorable. There is a mystery that slowly comes to light with such engaging interactions in the process. The story contains lots of information about elephants woven into the story. The audio production I listened to is excellent with the different voices. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Most fascinating for its descriptions of and discussions about elephants. I found the pulling together of the various threads of the murder plot quite contrived. Am nonetheless rating it four stars for the relationships -- human and elephant -- and for an easy writing style. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
One star...and that's because I can't give zero stars. Awful. Just awful. Just...who are the people who like Jodi Picoult's writing? I'd actually LOVE to give you the name of an author who can write meaningful novels--someone who is actually worth your time and hard-earned money. I mean she has a great idea and then she fucks it up because she is unable to actually create a meaningful character who has depth and substance. Pathetic. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
A true friend will walk hundreds of miles with you, in rain, snow, sleet, and hail.
FOR JOAN COLLISON
Some people used to believe that there was an elephant graveyard--a place that sick and old elephants would travel to die.
It's the hour that's the seam between day and night.
It was almost as if there was a tear in the fabric I was made of, and he was the only color thread that would match to stitch it back up.
"It's not that he doesn't love you enough to tell you the truth," she said. "It's that he loves you too much to risk it."
A bruise is how the body remembers it's been wronged.

Throughout her blockbuster career, #1 New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult has seamlessly blended nuanced characters, riveting plots, and rich prose, brilliantly creating stories that “not only provoke the mind but touch the flawed souls in all of us” (The Boston Globe). Now, in her highly anticipated new book, she has delivered her most affecting novel yet—and one unlike anything she’s written before.

For more than a decade, Jenna Metcalf has never stopped thinking about her mother, Alice, who mysteriously disappeared in the wake of a tragic accident. Refusing to believe that she would be abandoned as a young child, Jenna searches for her mother regularly online and pores over the pages of Alice’s old journals. A scientist who studied grief among elephants, Alice wrote mostly of her research among the animals she loved, yet Jenna hopes the entries will provide a clue to her mother’s whereabouts.

Desperate to find the truth, Jenna enlists two unlikely allies in her quest. The first is Serenity Jones, a psychic who rose to fame finding missing persons—only to later doubt her gifts. The second is Virgil Stanhope, a jaded private detective who originally investigated Alice’s case along with the strange, possibly linked death of one of her colleagues. As the three work together to uncover what happened to Alice, they realize that in asking hard questions, they’ll have to face even harder answers.

As Jenna’s memories dovetail with the events in her mother’s journals, the story races to a mesmerizing finish. A deeply moving, gripping, and intelligent page-turner, Leaving Time is Jodi Picoult at the height of her powers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:49 -0400)

"Alice Metcalf was a devoted mother, loving wife, and accomplished scientist who studied grief among elephants. Yet it's been a decade since she disappeared under mysterious circumstances, leaving behind her small daughter, husband, and the animals to which she devoted her life. All signs point to abandonment . . . or worse. Still Jenna--now thirteen years old and truly orphaned by a father maddened by grief--steadfastly refuses to believe in her mother's desertion. So she decides to approach the two people who might still be able to help her find Alice: a disgraced psychic named Serenity Jones, and Virgil Stanhope, the cynical detective who first investigated her mother's disappearance and the death of one of her mother's co-workers. Together these three lonely souls will discover truths destined to forever change their lives. Deeply moving and suspenseful, Leaving Time is a radiant exploration of the enduring love between mothers and daughters"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jodi Picoult's book Leaving Time was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,837,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible