Q & A: A Novel by Vikas Swarup

Q & A: A Novel (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Vikas Swarup

Member:purplemoon
Title:Q & A: A Novel
Authors:Vikas Swarup
Info:Scribner (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages

Q & A by Vikas Swarup (2005)

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (VaterOlsen, 2810michael, Clara53)
    The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar (mcenroeucsb)
    Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found by Suketu Mehta (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Q&A is a lighter Bollywood version of Maximum City
    The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson (WendyRobyn)
    WendyRobyn: These books share a playful implausability in the plotting along with likeable underdog protagonists who succeed through their cleverness.
    Show business by Shashi Tharoor (wandering_star)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (SamuelW)
    SamuelW: The Messenger is for Australia what Q & A is for India.

English (98)  French (6)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (120)
I loved the movie Slumdog Millionaire, so I was very excited to read this book. Honestly, it took me several sittings to read it with several weeks and months in between readings. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why. It was wonderful! Once I finally decided I was going to focus on this book and read it straight through, I could not put it down.

The protagonist is delightful. He is very funny and intelligent and sweet. I had a little difficulty switching between names (the main character goes by different names during different chapters), but other than that, there was nothing confusing about this.

Each chapter details a portion of the narrator's history (not told in chronological order) and explains the life stories he has had and how he knows the answer to each quiz show question despite being poor and formally uneducated.

The story weaves together like a beautiful fairy tale, and of course the coincidences in his life are highly unlikely, but that is beside the point.

The author writes in beautiful prose and details all of his characters in a loving way that rounds everyone out and makes for a very enjoyable reading experience. Highly recommended! ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
What a wonderful read (well, listen) this was.

Ram Emanuel Thomas is the unlikely name given to an abandoned baby boy. Ram's young life is a series of almost tragic events as he finds his way from one precarious living situation to another. Still, like a sponge, he soaks in the arcane stories he hears from the people he encounters.
This eclectic jumble of cultural and historical knowledge serves him well on the big amazing TV game show Who Will Win a Billion, but the authorities don't believe that this poor orphan boy could win the top prize without cheating.
Ram tells the stories of his life to a lawyer, and we learn, one quiz question at a time how this poor orphan boy wins the biggest prize in India TV history! ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
This is a book that made me cry.The author has done a fabulous job in penning down a thought provoking novel.Shocking reality is the major theme and this will make everyone who is reading the novel to get a temptation to stop reading many a times because of the solitudes shared in the novel ( )
  infantinanivetha | Jul 30, 2018 |
Não sou grande fã de comparar os livros e respectivos filmes, compreendo-os como formatos diferentes de entretenimento e por isso mesmo, não comparáveis. Mas, como tinha sido o fantástico filme que me levou à compra do livro que o originou, não consegui deixar de me sentir desiludida a cada página que avançava na leitura deste. A ideia do livro é excelente, as várias histórias promovem uma leitura pouco maçuda mas a forma de escrever deste autor é monótona e senti-me pouco cativada pela vida do pobre Thomas e de todas as desgraças que lhe aconteceram. Os vários episódios que deram as "respostas" de Thomas estavam pouco intercalados entre si e senti falta das história de amor que é apresentada no filme. É um dos poucos exemplos em que louvo a adaptação cinematográfica em detrimento da obra que o originou, porque lhe atribuiu alguns elementos que faltam no livro, ou que apenas foram mal desenvolvidos.

Leia o resto no meu blog Ler e Reflectir... ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
The events that took place in Ram's life weren't related in a chronological manner so it can be quite hard at times trying to piece Ram's life together i.e. what took place at when? Nevertheless, using a quiz show is an interesting way of telling a story about the underprivileged in India. ( )
  siok | Jul 11, 2018 |
For my parents Vinod and Indra Swarup and my late grandfather Sri Jagadish Swarup
I have been arrested. For winning a quiz show.
Originally published as "Q & A," reissued in 2008 as "Slumdog Millionaire" to match the title of the film based on it.

This is the novel the film is based on. please do not combine the film with this work.

When Ram Mohammed Thomas, an eighteen-year-old waiter from the slums of Mumbai, wins one billion rupees on India’s newest imitation of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, he is arrested almost immediately. Having offered a prize they are incapable of dispensing, the producers face bankruptcy unless Ram is convicted of cheating. A confession should be easy to obtain; after all, the chances of an uneducated orphan guessing twelve correct answers are astronomical. Even Ram’s lawyer, Smita, is sceptical at first – but behind each answer is a tale from Ram’s remarkable life, and as each tale unfolds, she comes to understand the luck he has made for himself.

Vikas Swarup's spectacular debut novel opens in a jail cell in Mumbai, India, where Ram Mohammad Thomas is being held after correctly answering all twelve questions on India's biggest quiz show, Who Will Win a Billion? It is hard to believe that a poor orphan who has never read a newspaper or gone to school could win such a contest. But through a series of exhilarating tales Ram explains to his lawyer how episodes in his life gave him the answer to each question.

Ram takes us on an amazing review of his own history -- from the day he was found as a baby in the clothes donation box of a Delhi church to his employment by a faded Bollywood star to his adventure with a security-crazed Australian army colonel to his career as an overly creative tour guide at the Taj Mahal.

Swarup's Q & A is a beguiling blend of high comedy, drama, and romance that reveals how we know what we know -- not just about trivia, but about life itself. Cutting across humanity in all its squalor and glory, Vikas Swarup presents a kaleidoscopic vision of the struggle between good and evil -- and what happens when one boy has no other choice in life but to survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

"Stunning a television audience of millions, Ram draws upon a store of street wisdom and accidental encounters that provides him with the essential keys not only to the quiz show but also to life itself"--From publisher description.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,672,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible