Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Big Little Lies (2014)

by Liane Moriarty

A murder... a tragic accident... or just parents behaving badly? What's indisputable is that someone is dead. But who did what? Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads: Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She's funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline's youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline's teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline's ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?). Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn't be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay. New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.… (more)
    Little Children: A Novel by Tom Perrotta (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unexpected disruptions to everyday routines cause otherwise comfortable suburban communities to unravel in these witty, character-driven novels. However, one shocking catalyst drives the plot of Big Little Lies, whereas various factors contribute to the drama in Little Children.… (more)
    The Hive by Gill Hornby (chazzard)

English (272)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (276)
Big Little Lies was this incredibly impressive, real book that managed to talk about some very difficult experiences while still being fairly lighthearted. This book made me think and it made me feel. It put me in the shoes of three women with very different, and yet hardly uncommon, problems, and it made me wonder: what do I think about women like that? How do I judge them?

Overall, I'm really glad I stuck with this book, even after the rather slow beginning. Definitely give it a chance! ( )
  Dreklogar | Jan 13, 2020 |
I had previously watched the first season of the show Big Little Lies, which I had enjoyed, but didn’t think was great. Although it had some good points, it had a fair bit of flaws as well. I liked the novel a good bit more. It corrected some of the plot holes and had a better presentation of the characters. That’s not to say the novel didn’t have its share of problems. It was a bit overwritten at times. The pace was slow at times, and I think that sections could have been chopped out to make the novel tighter overall.

What I liked about this novel was, as I mentioned before, it had corrected the plot holes from the show, in particular getting rid of Madeline’s affair, which served no purpose and felt gratuitous. Also, the hunt for Jane’s baby daddy was a silly part that the novel skipped out on. The novel also had better characterization. I felt that I understood these characters better after having read it. The ending took me a bit by surprise. Ostensibly, the same thing happens in both the show and the novel, but how it occurred was different as well as the aftermath. I haven’t quite decided which I liked better, but perhaps the novel version was more realistic. All told, I thought this was a good read and worth the time investment, even though I think the novel should have been shortened.

Carl Alves – author of The Invocation ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jan 8, 2020 |
So far I have enjoyed every Lane Moriarty book and this was no exception. The perfect summer read - there wasn't a single moment when I was bored. Set in an upscale beach town in Australia, the novel focuses mainly on Madeline, Celeste and Jane, three women who become friends when their children enter kindergarten. Their very different situations make them unlikely pals, but they support each other as they negotiate the trials of their own lives and the tricky world of competitive mothering.

The novel moves quickly, it's witty and breezy but also tackles some weighty issues. The fact that we know someone dies at the end adds a mysterious element that keeps you guessing throughout. The three really likable heroines alone makes it one of my favorite books in recent memory - there seems to be a trend in books I read lately where every single character is an idiot that I want to slap. I couldn't wait to pass this along to a friend, and I look forward to seeing the mini-series based on it. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
Really enjoyed this page turner ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
This book was a good mix of humor and tragedy. The author blended the lives of many people together and did it in a way where information came at just the right time to tie it all in. The added suspense of what happened at trivia night that is hinted at from page 1 made you want to keep reading just to find out. Overall, a very good book. ( )
  mplantenga11 | Dec 18, 2019 |

Liane Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andersson, KerstinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You hit me, you hit me, now you have to kiss me
-SCHOOL YARD CHANT
Pirriwee Public School...where we live and learn by the sea!  Pirriwee is a BULLY-FREE ZONE!  We do not bully.  We do not accept being bullied.  We never keep bullying a secret.  We have the courage to speak up if we see our friends bullied.  We say NO to bullies.
With love to Margaret
"That doesn't sound like school trivia night," said Mrs. Patty Ponder to Marie Antoinette. "That sounds like a riot."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,774,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible