Big Little Lies (2014)

by Liane Moriarty

A murder... a tragic accident... or just parents behaving badly? What's indisputable is that someone is dead. But who did what? Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads: Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She's funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline's youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline's teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline's ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?). Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn't be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay. New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.… (more)
    Little Children: A Novel by Tom Perrotta (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unexpected disruptions to everyday routines cause otherwise comfortable suburban communities to unravel in these witty, character-driven novels. However, one shocking catalyst drives the plot of Big Little Lies, whereas various factors contribute to the drama in Little Children.… (more)
    The Hive by Gill Hornby (chazzard)

English (323)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (329)
Fast paced suburban thriller! Kept my interest and I definitely plan to watch the mini-series on HBO. I liked the changing of characters perspectives and the growth we saw from characters learning that not everything is as it seems and every family has stuff going on behind closed doors. It irritated me a little how everything in the last 100 pages or so made every story line just come together and some of them connecting people's problems together. That felt unnecessary because life does not work like that and Liane did a good job of showing real family issues up to that point. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 16, 2021 |
While this book as well as her previous don't rise to any literary heights, it certainly is a page-turner and a welcome distraction when you've got airport time to kill. It is wildly plot-driven, but the characters are extremely well drawn and the subject matter of domestic violence is rightfully given center stage. Not as much of a downer as it sounds. A good storyteller. ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
It's ridiculous soapy fluff for the most part, and she retread The Husband's Secret too closely, but it was a really fun read and the ending was surprisingly good--not just a too-neat wrap up. Foreshadowing got a bit much though. ( )
  arosoff | Jul 11, 2021 |
Funny, sad, inspiring, and suspenseful: everything one could want from one story! ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
Wickedly funny. I read the book after I saw the TV series, so was quite surprised to see it was set in Sydney. However, that made it more enjoyable as I could recognise the suburbs and people on which Liane Moriarty had based Pirrawee Peninsula and its inhabitants. This is the Australian novel I've been waiting to read. ( )
  KarenBayly | Apr 10, 2021 |

Liane Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andersson, KerstinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You hit me, you hit me, now you have to kiss me
-SCHOOL YARD CHANT
Pirriwee Public School...where we live and learn by the sea!  Pirriwee is a BULLY-FREE ZONE!  We do not bully.  We do not accept being bullied.  We never keep bullying a secret.  We have the courage to speak up if we see our friends bullied.  We say NO to bullies.
With love to Margaret
"That doesn't sound like school trivia night," said Mrs. Patty Ponder to Marie Antoinette. "That sounds like a riot."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,497,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible